SiouxSports.com Forum

This sounds familiar.

dallassiouxfan

I just can't relate to the concept of liking Sioux hockey and at the same time disliking Sioux football. That, to me, seems just as nutty as the thought of liking Gopher football but not Gopher hockey. Now, as for the concept of being a Sioux hockey fan who prefers Bison football over Sioux football... I can't even begin to find words strong enough to describe how badly that disturbs me. I think it's very weird to like a school in one sport but dislike them in another.

Being somebody who likes NDSU football, you're really not in a strong position to tell me I shouldn't like Gopher hockey. My oldest son gives me that lecture almost on a daily basis, but at least he hates the Bison like any self-respecting Sioux fan should. I understand it is unusual and probably not normal for me to like both the Sioux and the Gophers, but for somebody who likes Sioux hockey and Bison football to call me out on it is an extreme case of the pot calling the kettle black.

I'm really not even comfortable with Bison fans cheering for our hockey team. If you're going to cheer for Bison football (not that I can for the life of me understand why anybody would want to) you should either ignore hockey altogether because your school doesn't have it or else cheer for whoever the Sioux are playing against. NDSU, not the University of Minnesota, is UND's most bitter rival.

wow - you best quit trying to justify your position soon - it's getting worse.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Dave, I went to school at NDSU, and since they do have a football team, I'll cheer for them. Since they don't have hockey, the logical thing seemed to cheer for a team that is only 75 miles away. Even a Bison FB fan has the good sense not to cheer for goofer hockey :)

I just can't relate to the concept of liking Sioux hockey and at the same time disliking Sioux football. That, to me, seems just as nutty as the thought of liking Gopher football but not Gopher hockey. Now, as for the concept of being a Sioux hockey fan who prefers Bison football over Sioux football... I can't even begin to find words strong enough to describe how badly that disturbs me. I think it's very weird to like a school in one sport but dislike them in another.

Being somebody who likes NDSU football, you're really not in a strong position to tell me I shouldn't like Gopher hockey. My oldest son gives me that lecture almost on a daily basis, but at least he hates the Bison like any self-respecting Sioux fan should. I understand it is unusual and probably not normal for me to like both the Sioux and the Gophers, but for somebody who likes Sioux hockey and Bison football to call me out on it is an extreme case of the pot calling the kettle black.

I'm really not even comfortable with Bison fans cheering for our hockey team. If you're going to cheer for Bison football (not that I can for the life of me understand why anybody would want to) you should either ignore hockey altogether because your school doesn't have it or else cheer for whoever the Sioux are playing against. NDSU, not the University of Minnesota, is UND's most bitter rival.

I will toss out my fav 4...

1. Goophies without a doubt

2. BC Beagles

3. SCSU JC

4. Michigan (until recently, they've hosed us too many times)

5. Denver

6-10. Everyone else :sad:

Good list! My line of most hated rivals:

1. Rodents

2. Boston College

3. Denver

4. Wisconsin

5. Michigan, MSUM Landcows

7. The rest of Hockey East except Maine

8. The entire EZCHA or whatever they are called ("weanie conference")

9. Whoever is playing the Sioux that weekend.

The first 3 are the easiest, and there is a big gap between 3 and 4, and even bigger between 4 and 5. I don't mind SCSU, but some of SCSU's fans can be a little annoying.

Well Dave, I went to school at NDSU, and since they do have a football team, I'll cheer for them. Since they don't have hockey, the logical thing seemed to cheer for a team that is only 75 miles away. Even a Bison FB fan has the good sense not to cheer for goofer hockey :sad:

You don't happen to sit in section 303 do you?

Dead Rabbit, a UND hockey fan should have the good sense to travel 70 miles north to attend a decent school, even if it means changing your major from taxidermy to mortuary science. Your "At least I'm one step better than a guy whose second favorite hockey team is the gophers" reasoning is inept and pitiful. At least Dave K. likes UND football AND UND hockey first and foremost.

Besides Dave K, I know I'm not the only one who was rooting for the Gophers last year against Air Force, hoping for a Sioux/Gophs regional final--I LOVE LOVE LOVE watching the two teams square off when it counts the most because I know UND will out play, out hustle and straight pound the hell out of them. My gopher fan "friends" cringe whenever there's a sioux matchup looming. BTW, if you don't have a gopher fan to watch a UND/Gopher game with, I highly suggest you go find yourself one (can easily be found at a local Menard's near the beer bong building section, or at Bed Bath & Beyond, near the beer bong building section) because the look on their feeble faces trying to find an excuse is terrific. Cheering against Holy Cross was impossible, tho.

All teams from Michigan and Massachusetts can also eat it.

I am very pro-WCHA too but its always fun to see your biggest enemy lose to the lowest seed. When your biggest enemy in sports loses, the first thing that comes to your mind is not "oh s&!t even if we go undefeated the SOS is now against us" NO, as a fan the first thing you say is "F&*K ya they lost to the worst team in the country!" and you continue to rub it in until someone else loses. Second you can't be a Sioux fan and like the Gophers, thats just not right. You are either a full blooded SIOUX fan or you are just a college hockey fan in general and you dont take favorites!

"The Minnesota Gophers are the New York Yankees of NCAA hockey. They get all the advantages, but continue to fail to meet expectations." That sums up the Gophers hockey program every year!

Siouxkid,

Could you explain what are ALL these advantages the Gopher hockey program has over other schools?

Please, refresh my memory

:sad: halarious, theres always someone who slips this in then there are a few who want the truth and they want it now, they dont have any advantages, period, they lose fair and square every time to end their last 2 seasons in the green and whites presence, just like to sioux have lost in bc's presnce :) god i cant wait to play them in april again, and no i dont mean the gophers, they will be done by then, i mean bc ;)

azsioux:

Does your keyboard not have a key with that little dot on it? Down on the right... between the comma and the slash.

wow, sorry...................................didnt know my engish professor was watching :):sad: will make sure to use that for you.............

thanks for the heads up and the concern, i finally found where that damn button was.........................................

Final 5 at "home" every year

more that their share of Regionals hosted

and the big one - all games (except AA away) being televised which is a huge recruiting and exposure advantage

there - should not have to ask again I trust.

i love the final 5 at the X, you need a nhl arena and it works best location wise i think for all teams, where do you want it to be? its a perfect place to host, great atmosphere.

the gophers are a huge market team being in minneapolis, grand forks really doesnt have that available like all big cities do. last time i checked we are doing pretty well in the recruiting department along with other teams unless you are referring to other smaller level teams. i think a top recruit knows whats out there without watching tv

good points otherwise :sad: man hockey season needs to start!

Final 5 at "home" every year

more that their share of Regionals hosted

and the big one - all games (except AA away) being televised which is a huge recruiting and exposure advantage

there - should not have to ask again I trust.

The final five is in St.Paul every year and I agree it is a home crowd advantage but not a home "ice"advantage (NHL size rink compared to Olympic size). As for hosting the regionals you could say Michigan has an advantage there. I think that State has hosted a regional many more times than Minnesota, hell Wisconsin has hosted their share of regionals. I agree with the games on TV but Wisconsin has most of their games on tv as well. UND also has an advantage over other schools, its their rink and facilities. They have arguable the nicest rink and training facilities in college hockey so I wouldn't say Minnesota has every advantage over other programs.

These old arguments again?

I'm not sure if the Gophers are truly behind all of this but....

1. If the Gophers did have control over the media coverage, then why are they losing it? Star Tribune just cut the Gopher hockey beat writer because of "lack of interest." Despite the "fun" we could have over that, this simply wouldn't happen if the Gophers were true media darlings.

2. The XCel Energy Center is one of the finest arenas in the nation. PERIOD. The fact that it is in the Twin Cities is coincidental, really. They did not build the XCel to house regionals or the Final Five. They built it for an NHL team primarily and everything else, secondary to that. Yes, the Gophers do have a home advantage playing there. However, there is really only a very few places the WCHA could go otherwise. The United Center (Chicago) would fit a truly neutral site, but would basically destroy attendance. The Pepsi Center (Denver) would just cause us to cry willynilly over DU getting home advantage. Can't have it at the Kohl Center or at the Ralph because those aren't neutral sites. Perhaps they could hold it in Milwaukee...

3. Media coverage is just thanks to Fox Sports North's commitment to everything Minnesota. That's their charter. The Gopher hockey team benefits from that. Really, no other team benefits from that, even other Minnesota teams. The only way to turn the benefit is to beat the Gophers. I think UND has done a fairly good job with that over the past 3 years.

4. Regional hosting is on a bid basis under a criteria. Right now, the only places off the top of my head that are now capable of hosting regionals are Milwaukee, Chicago, Denver, and Minneapolis (among WCHA areas anyways). It cannot be held at a school's building regardless of how nice it is. So expect the XCel to host more regionals yet.

The final five is in St.Paul every year and I agree it is a home crowd advantage but not a home "ice"advantage (NHL size rink compared to Olympic size). As for hosting the regionals you could say Michigan has an advantage there. I think that State has hosted a regional many more times than Minnesota, hell Wisconsin has hosted their share of regionals. I agree with the games on TV but Wisconsin has most of their games on tv as well. UND also has an advantage over other schools, its their rink and facilities. They have arguable the nicest rink and training facilities in college hockey so I wouldn't say Minnesota has every advantage over other programs.

i could care less about advantages and disadvantages as all top tier programs do great with recruiting on their own. your point about the ralph being a advantage doesnt hold any ground as thats self made, ralph made that for the school and hockey team and if your school doesnt have it that oh well. the other thing mentioned regarding regionals are not easy to control and yes michigan and minny do get a good amount. hell the sioux wont have another one forever with our logo but thats for another discussion.

These old arguments again?

I'm not sure if the Gophers are truly behind all of this but....

1. If the Gophers did have control over the media coverage, then why are they losing it? Star Tribune just cut the Gopher hockey beat writer because of "lack of interest." Despite the "fun" we could have over that, this simply wouldn't happen if the Gophers were true media darlings.

2. The XCel Energy Center is one of the finest arenas in the nation. PERIOD. The fact that it is in the Twin Cities is coincidental, really. They did not build the XCel to house regionals or the Final Five. They built it for an NHL team primarily and everything else, secondary to that. Yes, the Gophers do have a home advantage playing there. However, there is really only a very few places the WCHA could go otherwise. The United Center (Chicago) would fit a truly neutral site, but would basically destroy attendance. The Pepsi Center (Denver) would just cause us to cry willynilly over DU getting home advantage. Can't have it at the Kohl Center or at the Ralph because those aren't neutral sites. Perhaps they could hold it in Milwaukee...

3. Media coverage is just thanks to Fox Sports North's commitment to everything Minnesota. That's their charter. The Gopher hockey team benefits from that. Really, no other team benefits from that, even other Minnesota teams. The only way to turn the benefit is to beat the Gophers. I think UND has done a fairly good job with that over the past 3 years.

4. Regional hosting is on a bid basis under a criteria. Right now, the only places off the top of my head that are now capable of hosting regionals are Milwaukee, Chicago, Denver, and Minneapolis (among WCHA areas anyways). It cannot be held at a school's building regardless of how nice it is. So expect the XCel to host more regionals yet.

doesnt mariucci host regionals as usually they are at a college site and the X would be host to frozen 4??

doesnt mariucci host regionals as usually they are at a college site and the X would be host to frozen 4??

To my knowledge, it used to be that case, but now the NCAA requires neutral sites for all their Regionals and Frozen Fours.

WCHA Final 5 on the other hand, is something I know little about regarding rules in hosting.

AZ, well, maybe I'm wrong again.

I am almost positive the NCAA changed their rules in some regards towards neutral sites.

regionals are usually at an on campus site and if that team makes the tourney they get to stay at that site. so if cc makes it then they stay at the cc site if they are the host. it all depends on who hosts the regional as i think denver was a host maybe once when it was at cc. sounds wierd but i think its happened. i guess the pepsi center hosted last year when we beat te gophers so who knows as im assuming DU was that host but they didnt make the tourney. whoever forks the cash i guess without a hostile and abusive logo gets te regional :sad:

Doesn't appear to be true. Look at the 2008 sites. World Arena, Kohl Center, Pepsi Center. Obviously not neutral sites.

yeah, will never be neutral sites. impossible as you cater to the host team and local teams for attendance purposes.

I think that there are 2 different things here. Minnesota does have some advantages especially due to coverage and location. So what, we have a huge advantage in facilities.

Just because a team has some advantages doesn't mean that these advantages are unfair or that the program did anything wrong (insert Loser Nanne joke here...).