SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Recruits - 2007-08 Updates

USA Hockey

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to Danny Kristo, who captained the US U-18 team to a bronze medal. Kristo had 1-1-2 in the bronze medal 6-3 win against Sweden.

Also, Hextall added an ENG to finish the 3-0 win over Camrose, getting Penticton back in the series. Hextall is also the captain of his team.

Congrats to Danny Kristo, who captained the US U-18 team to a bronze medal. Kristo had 1-1-2 in the bronze medal 6-3 win against Sweden.

Also, Hextall added an ENG to finish the 3-0 win over Camrose, getting Penticton back in the series. Hextall is also the captain of his team.

So Kristo is not coming in next year correct?? ala Scroeder and Ness for the Goofs?? It would seem he is ready but?:lol:

So Kristo is not coming in next year correct?? ala Scroeder and Ness for the Goofs?? It would seem he is ready but?:lol:

But he's a junior in high school, and they don't let you into college until you've graduated.

He's not ready. He had 4 goals and 4 assists in 14 games while playing for the US Under 18 team that competes in the NAHL. He's skilled, but if he did not dominate on that team or that league, he is not going to make a significant impact yet in the WCHA. Give him another year.

He's not ready. He had 4 goals and 4 assists in 14 games while playing for the US Under 18 team that competes in the NAHL. He's skilled, but if he did not dominate on that team or that league, he is not going to make a significant impact yet in the WCHA. Give him another year.

Agreed. After another year of improvement, he will be ready to step into the Sioux lineup and contribute immediately.

He is still very young. I would guess that he will stay at UND for at least 2-3 seasons, even if he gets drafted high.

The point is moot since he hasn't finished HS ...

but if he isn't "ready" no one on the NTDP is. If you saw them play this year, he was their top forward, right there with Hayes and Schroeder. If he's not ready, they aren't either.

You can go here to see the list of the others at the NTDP that aren't ready that will be in college next year.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pq-...Z3kFg&gid=4

He ended up with 18 goals, second on the team to Schroeder who had 19 according to USA Hockey's stats page. Not too shabby.

I believe the only reason he's not at UND next fall is he didn't want to accelerate.

As I said previously (I think this was the thread), someone who has seen both play is not surprised by the rankings.

Blood is coming next year for sure. Don't be surprised if CF is next in line if there is an early departure on D.

He ended up with 18 goals, second on the team to Schroeder who had 19 according to USA Hockey's stats page. Not too shabby.

I believe the only reason he's not at UND next fall is he didn't want to accelerate.

Go to www.pointstreak.com and go to NAHL. Then, click on USNTDP on the side. He did not do much against NAHL competition. I understand that he's a very skilled player, and I'm not saying he won't be ready after another year, but he's not ready for the WCHA if he's not an impact player against NAHL competition. He's also very young. I know that Jon Toews, Joe Finley and now Aaron Ness accelerated their education to enroll in college early, but it takes a special player like Jon Toews to play at the level as a 17 year old. I frankly think Aaron Ness will struggle his 1st year.

Go to www.pointstreak.com and go to NAHL. Then, click on USNTDP on the side. He did not do much against NAHL competition. I understand that he's a very skilled player, and I'm not saying he won't be ready after another year, but he's not ready for the WCHA if he's not an impact player against NAHL competition. He's also very young. I know that Jon Toews, Joe Finley and now Aaron Ness accelerated their education to enroll in college early, but it takes a special player like Jon Toews to play at the level as a 17 year old. I frankly think Aaron Ness will struggle his 1st year.

Ness and Schroeder will both be 18 by the time they enroll at UMinn. Schroeder just missed the cut off to be NHL draft eligible this year.

Kristo is no younger than the rest of the players that are draft eligible this year. By the time he enrolls at UND Fall 2009, he will be 19 (DOB 18-Jun-90).

To compare, Jake Gardiner is a July 90 BDay, Cory Fienhage is a May 90 BDay.

On another matter, Kristo and Fienhage are the only Sioux recruits invited to the NHL Scouting Combine in Toronto.

NHL Combine

Final North American NHL CSS Rankings for Sioux recruits:

36 FIENHAGE, COREY

37 KRISTO, DANNY

79 TOEWS, DAVID

147 MACWILLIAM, ANDREW

178 GLEASON, JOE

Entire List - NHL CSS NA Final Rankings

Final North American NHL CSS Rankings for Sioux recruits:

36 FIENHAGE, COREY

37 KRISTO, DANNY

79 TOEWS, DAVID

147 MACWILLIAM, ANDREW

178 GLEASON, JOE

Entire List - NHL CSS NA Final Rankings

What goes into rating defensemen?

I'd like to know what makes Fienhage 36th ranked and MacWilliam 147th ranked, for example. Aren't they roughly similar in size and game style?

What goes into rating defensemen?

I'd like to know what makes Fienhage 36th ranked and MacWilliam 147th ranked, for example. Aren't they roughly similar in size and game style?

It's not an exact science. Some players end up playing better than their ranking, some worse.

Obviously the NHL types like the potential of Fienhage more than MacWilliam. They've both been scouted plenty, during regular season games and summer camps.

Regardless, it's good news for us that NHL types think so highly of Fienhage and Kristo.

He was the leading goal scorer on the NTDP 18U team this year. It has nothing to do with his on ice ability, Kristo just simply didn't accelerate his education and therefore is not eligible next year.

He was the leading goal scorer on the NTDP 18U team this year. It has nothing to do with his on ice ability, Kristo just simply didn't accelerate his education and therefore is not eligible next year.

i dont know...you ask some of the "experts" around here(who have never seen him play), and they say hes not ready regardless. :lol:

Does anyone know why Mike Cichy isn't in the rankings? Apparently despite a pretty good year in the USHL he didn't crack them or am I missing something as to the reason?

Good question. Here's his take on it:

http://mckeenshockey.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=784013

McKeen's: It is your NHL draft year. Do you ever think about that?

Cichy: Oh, every day. You try to push for that every day. If you ever get out there and want to quit on the ice or something, it pops in my head that this is a huge year and I want to do whatever I can to raise that draft status up.

McKeen's: Now, unless my printout was wrong, and I kept checking, but I didn't see you on Central Scouting's Midterm Rankings. What was your reaction to that?

Cichy: Really frustrated. It was frustrating, but it's more of a stepping stone to improve in games to come. I know I talked to my advisor, Eddie Ward, and wasn't too thrilled about it, thought there was a lot of guys that shouldn't be on there. There's a lot of conflict about it, but you can't argue. I was on the preliminaries at the beginning of the year as "B", and right now it's a little frustrating, but we're going to try, obviously, to get back up there.

And here's some mention about his commitment to UND:

McKeen's: As you have mentioned, you are committed to North Dakota. When did you first start talking with coach Hakstol, I'm assuming he was the coach at that point, and what was the recruiting process that his staff led you through and what made you make that decision?

Cichy: Well, I played in a tournament up in North Dakota with the Junior Bruins, and I think Cary Eades was the first one that saw me, and I talked with him once. I guess all the coaches kept watching me throughout the tournament and we talked shortly after that. Wasn't offered anything, just started the talking process there. Then, the next year I went to the National Program, and that's when they finally threw out the offer. It just excited me, loved the program, loved the school, because I got to see it when I went up there. You can't not like that rink up there.

Sounds like Halifax was really pushing him hard to go the QMJHL route, even after his commitment to UND.