SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Recruits - 2007-08 Updates

USA Hockey

I love that Housley won't mentioned UND by name. That's awesome.

FSN never mentioned Danny Mattson had committed to UND in the recent game they televised, nor did they mention Fienhage though they had no problem talking about where Barnes and Hendrickson from Burnsville had committed in the same game.

Oh, wait, LaPanta DID let it slip where Mattson had committed, but it seemed very much like he'd let it slip by accident.

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FSN never mentioned Danny Mattson had committed to UND in the recent game they televised, nor did they mention Fienhage though they had no problem talking about where Barnes and Hendrickson from Burnsville had committed in the same game.

oh well. i think sioux fans should be used to that by now and personally couldnt care less :cool:

not sure why so many sioux fans get bent out of shape if the logo isnt right in front or if the sioux logo is in the back of the screen with others in front of the sioux logo or the sioux arent talked about or recruits and so on and so on.

im not referring to you dagies at all, just making a genearal comment as everything thats done or not done by minny announcers, sioux fans seem to get bent out of shape. i for one dont give a rip either way. we know our program and know what its about and plenty of people around the country know it as well. gorg is a tool though at the end of the day :angry:

I think that expectations were that he would sign with the Gophers.

So, to media members in the Twin Cities, he has not met those expectations yet this year. :angry:

i hope this certain media member i spoke with was sitting in attendance for Gleason's "paul coffey-style" goal today! :cool:

Here's part five of the story on Mattson, it talks about his commitment to UND and coming to visit for the Gophers series, which is a little interesting,

http://www.startribune.com/sports/16319131.html

With one burden lifted, Nick rid himself of another just days after coming back from Europe. In mid-November, he committed to North Dakota. Although Nick had felt all along that Grand Forks would be the right place, he had vacillated for months. He had dreaded telling the coaches at Minnesota and Wisconsin -- which also had offered him full scholarships -- that he was turning them down.

But he had just come through the most trying period of his young life, and he now felt confident enough to confirm his choice. He called the coaches. He called his parents.

As Nick hung the Fighting Sioux banner over his bed, he could see his future beginning to take shape.

Gleason=nother end to end goal

what a bueaty

omg they just said ND recruit

is everyone satisfied now :angry::cool:

the question is, does gleason or finehage come in next season or do they both become 09's? i say 1 comes in

With one burden lifted, Nick rid himself of another just days after coming back from Europe. In mid-November, he committed to North Dakota. Although Nick had felt all along that Grand Forks would be the right place, he had vacillated for months. He had dreaded telling the coaches at Minnesota and Wisconsin -- which also had offered him full scholarships -- that he was turning them down.

But he had just come through the most trying period of his young life, and he now felt confident enough to confirm his choice. He called the coaches. He called his parents.

As Nick hung the Fighting Sioux banner over his bed, he could see his future beginning to take shape.

I hear buzz in the TC that UND > UMTC among top recruits ... some former Gophers are not helping the cause either.

said gleason is the best stick handler they have seen so far. and said ND is salivating at this kid.

very cool. sounds like a genoway style player?? not sur eif thats a correct assumption but more advanced at that age.

i see this from followthepuck.com

Edina: 9:01, Joe Gleason 1 (Derrick Caschetta)

not worried about it, just showing what i see. gleason is all that matters anyways! would love to see a edina-roseau finals hopefully

Would be a tough ticket for sure!

Gleason is a great player and is a UND recruit, but ...

he plays for Edina ... can you really root for Edina?:angry:

Rooting for Edina would be like rooting for -- the Gophers !?!?

Would be a tough ticket for sure!

Gleason is a great player and is a UND recruit, but ...

he plays for Edina ... can you really root for Edina?:angry:

Rooting for Edina would be like rooting for -- the Gophers !?!?

im cheering for roseau and warroad to win their respective titles, i like the up north teams as a northerner myself :cool:

I hear buzz in the TC that UND > UMTC among top recruits ... some former Gophers are not helping the cause either.

Could just be that you hear that because that is the circles you are around -- Sioux people. Not doubting that some feel that way, just that guys like Ryan Walters and other top-end talent aren't flinching at verbaling to the gophers. I suspect we will always get our share and vice versa. There are always players around this area that aren't always pre-disposed to want to play for the Sioux either. I would have been absolutely giddy if the Sioux could have landed Aaron Ness. Of course we want all the top-end guys, but it makes for great battles in the future when we each get our share of blue-chippers.

I've heard that as well down here in the cities.

It depends on the kid, some like certain things about schools that others don't. A guy at a high school game last week told me Nick chose UND because it was like Chaska and more his style. I suppose people will say now he has changed as a person and would do better at Minnesota? Doubt it You can't paint it with that broad of brush. It may also have something to do with the Gophers recruiting on a more national/North American scale as well. Not why Nick went to UND, to the people making stuff up..Minnesota will still get great recruits as will UND. There was buzz around UND that when Irmen and Potulny's came to the Gophers that you couldn't get the big boys....we all know that's not true. Filter through and use your own mind, just like Chevy, Ford and Dodge. All drivers of them think there truck is the best and will tell you all day why. The truth is, in their eyes, its the best for them. 99% of the people on here rip on Wheeler being a shi**y player and saying Phoenix wont sign him and never would. Those people are wrong and make themselves sound stupid because they have no knowledge of what's happened and its obvious to those that know. Just sayin.

Could just be that you hear that because that is the circles you are around -- Sioux people. Not doubting that some feel that way, just that guys like Ryan Walters and other top-end talent aren't flinching at verbaling to the gophers. I suspect we will always get our share and vice versa. There are always players around this area that aren't always pre-disposed to want to play for the Sioux either. I would have been absolutely giddy if the Sioux could have landed Aaron Ness. Of course we want all the top-end guys, but it makes for great battles in the future when we each get our share of blue-chippers.

buddish, walters and ness are top recruits without a doubt. you win some and lose some as always. the sioux have gotten a few more cities kids latley not counting shattuck of course. the difference these days is kids arent born with a 1 track mindset anymore. those days have changed when you locked a kid into a school because they grew up in a certain area. i think a lot of it comes down to the style of play for you as a player to develop for the next level if you are a top notch recruit. bottom line is neither school has much to worry about when landing blue chippers but the lucia pet is realizing he better not continue doug woog style and go outside of minnesota to get top kids rather than settling for kids just because they are from minny.

and to gopher33, wheeler isnt a shtty player by any means. it wasnt his fault he was mis evaluated and drafter too high. cant blame the kid. the coyotes know they drafted him a way higher than they should have and hope in 2-3 years he can be in their lineup. i havent seen many fans say phx wont sign, the reality is he was a top 5 pick and heavy heavy pressure comes with that status to help a nhl team out 1 or 2 years after being drafted and thats why he gets critisized. oh well

back to topic - cant wait to see toews,cichy and gregoire in the green and white next season

buddish, walters and ness are top recruits without a doubt. you win some and lose some as always. the sioux have gotten a few more cities kids latley not counting shattuck of course. the difference these days is kids arent born with a 1 track mindset anymore. those days have changed when you locked a kid into a school because they grew up in a certain area. i think a lot of it comes down to the style of play for you as a player to develop for the next level if you are a top notch recruit. bottom line is neither school has much to worry about when landing blue chippers but the lucia pet is realizing he better not continue doug woog style and go outside of minnesota to get top kids rather than settling for kids just because they are from minny.

and to gopher33, wheeler isnt a shtty player by any means. it wasnt his fault he was mis evaluated and drafter too high. cant blame the kid. the coyotes know they drafted him a way higher than they should have and hope in 2-3 years he can be in their lineup. i havent seen many fans say phx wont sign, the reality is he was a top 5 pick and heavy heavy pressure comes with that status to help a nhl team out 1 or 2 years after being drafted and thats why he gets critisized. oh well

back to topic - cant wait to see toews,cichy and gregoire in the green and white next season

My friend sat by a PHX scout at the MN vs WIS game and of course he was watching Wheeler and Turris. He said they would both go right to the big club next year.

If that happens or not, we'll see, but that's what he said.