SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Recruits - 2007-08 Updates

USA Hockey

My friend sat by a PHX scout at the MN vs WIS game and of course he was watching Wheeler and Turris. He said they would both go right to the big club next year.

If that happens or not, we'll see, but that's what he said.

ive heard that as well but they will take turris as soon as hes done this year if sconiie doesnt make the tourney and phx still has a few games left trying for that last playoff spot. don maloney the GM has said that in 5 interviews or so when asked about adding players for a playoff run and he only mentions turris as thats gretzkys prize pick. wheeler has the size and the skills to be a solid nhl player but turris is all they are talking about out here. the coyotes have a nice young core with mueller, hanzal and now turris and wheeler down the road. and i would hope that they both would be abe to play in the nhl as turris has only played 1 college year and wheeler has played 3. big difference

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive heard that as well but they will take turris as soon as hes done this year if sconiie doesnt make the tourney and phx still has a few games left trying for that last playoff spot. don maloney the GM has said that in 5 interviews or so when asked about adding players for a playoff run and he only mentions turris as thats gretzkys prize pick. wheeler has the size and the skills to be a solid nhl player but turris is all they are talking about out here. the coyotes have a nice young core with mueller, hanzal and now turris and wheeler down the road

As I said in another thread, with the new CBA, players can "opt out" from their drafted team if they are not signed after their senior year. I don't think PHX will let Wheeler play-out his senior year - it wouldn't make sense.

As I said in another thread, with the new CBA, players can "opt out" from their drafted team if they are not signed after their senior year. I don't think PHX will let Wheeler play-out his senior year - it wouldn't make sense.

agree, thats a huge factor especially with a player that is drafted so high. you have to protect those picks without a doubt

ive heard that as well but they will take turris as soon as hes done this year if sconiie doesnt make the tourney and phx still has a few games left trying for that last playoff spot. don maloney the GM has said that in 5 interviews or so when asked about adding players for a playoff run and he only mentions turris as thats gretzkys prize pick. wheeler has the size and the skills to be a solid nhl player but turris is all they are talking about out here. the coyotes have a nice young core with mueller, hanzal and now turris and wheeler down the road. and i would hope that they both would be abe to play in the nhl as turris has only played 1 college year and wheeler has played 3. big difference

Wheeler will be the biggest first round bust since Jason Bonsignore. Big size and potential but neither have or had the heart and stamina to excel in the Pros.

is everyone satisfied now :angry::cool:

the question is, does gleason or finehage come in next season or do they both become 09's? i say 1 comes in

I've said all along that Gleason comes in next year and Fienhage goes to the USHL for a year of seasoning.

Could just be that you hear that because that is the circles you are around -- Sioux people. Not doubting that some feel that way, just that guys like Ryan Walters and other top-end talent aren't flinching at verbaling to the gophers. I suspect we will always get our share and vice versa. There are always players around this area that aren't always pre-disposed to want to play for the Sioux either. I would have been absolutely giddy if the Sioux could have landed Aaron Ness. Of course we want all the top-end guys, but it makes for great battles in the future when we each get our share of blue-chippers.

No, actually from gopher fans who's kids play for Blaine and Edina. Both schools get their fair share of recruits no doubt. I'm just confirming what another poster had said and responded with things I've heard as well. no green glasses here, tnt.

No, actually from gopher fans who's kids play for Blaine and Edina. Both schools get their fair share of recruits no doubt. I'm just confirming what another poster had said and responded with things I've heard as well. no green glasses here, tnt.

How many kids from Edina and Blaine have the Gophers offered in the last 4 years? Sorry to go off topic again. Gophers are batting pretty good I would say.

How many kids from Edina and Blaine have the Gophers offered in the last 4 years? Sorry to go off topic again. Gophers are batting pretty good I would say.

i don't know who MN has offered schollies to. yes, there is no doubt the gophers get a lot of the guys they want from the area, Budish being the latest. we know kids are fickle and fads or opinions come and go. the comments by parents just explained that right now it's very fashionable in their kids' circles to want to play at UND. not trying to stir things up here.

i don't know who MN has offered schollies to. yes, there is no doubt the gophers get a lot of the guys they want from the area, Budish being the latest. we know kids are fickle and fads or opinions come and go. the comments by parents just explained that right now it's very fashionable in their kids' circles to want to play at UND. not trying to stir things up here.

I think the reason that UND is developing an increasing popularity in the cities with young players is because they have seen the success of recent twin cities players that have come out of here (Parise, Bochenski, Stafford). This isn't to say that we will win most of the twin cities recruiting battles (the Gophers will still reign as the top team), but I do think that some of the players mentioned above have layed a framework for twin cities players coming here.

I think the reason that UND is developing an increasing popularity in the cities with young players is because they have seen the success of recent twin cities players that have come out of here (Parise, Bochenski, Stafford). This isn't to say that we will win most of the twin cities recruiting battles (the Gophers will still reign as the top team), but I do think that some of the players mentioned above have layed a framework for twin cities players coming here.

Ending the gophers season every year doesn't hurt either... :angry:

I don't want to start anything either. As long as your last game is a loss, it's all the same. :angry:

yes both teams play with the national title in mind but keep telling yourself that :):cool: and gopher fans sure wouldnt think that if you ended our season 2 of last 3 years with the 3rd year coming at your home rink :lol:

I don't want to start anything either. As long as your last game is a loss, it's all the same. :angry:

That's the problem with the underachievers in the Twin Cities, its all the same to them. I guess thats a good way of thinking when you lose alot and don't make it far. Your last game this year will be next weekend. :cool:

That's the problem with the underachievers in the Twin Cities, its all the same to them. I guess thats a good way of thinking when you lose alot and don't make it far. Your last game this year will be next weekend. :lol:

:angry: I would rather have a season championship and a tourney championship, more than UND's participation banner.

:angry: I would rather have a season championship and a tourney championship, more than UND's participation banner.

You know what you can do with those little banners. :cool: The Sioux are trying to win National Championships, and you can't win one without going to the Frozen Four. Are the girls dying their hair again this year?? :lol:

that makes no sense since UND does not hang participation banners, that is SCSU. I do realize that it is all the same to you though so all is forgiven. :)

In all actuality, whether winning or losing the Gophers scare me every year. You guys get some good recruits and we get some good recruits, that is part of what makes our schools so great. A recruit should be proud to be recruited by either school.

Looks like in a year or two, the Sioux might have 3 of the best skating defensemen they have had, with Gleason, Genoway and Marto. By adding the beef in Blood, Fienhage, and MacWilliam, they will have a nice mix. Looks like they've got a nice start beyond that too with Clarke and Mattson.

Also interesting that Red River might have done the best job of holding down Ness, Landman and Roseau. In fact, save for one questionable call late in the game and Red River might have not only shut out Roseau, but might have been the only blemish for Roseau and Mike Lee. Lee sure proved his worth in that game, stopping no less than 4 breakaways. Nice to see the best teams in North Dakota very competitive with the best teams in Minnesota.

ahh gopher33

congrats on your banners, well maybe you can hang another dq cup banner :) we dont hang participation banners like scsu but if we sweep and cc splits another banner can go up. we dont hang final 5 banners either :lol: only real banners which arent easy to come by as you may know. at least lucia is starting to recruit out of state now as things may be on the up and up for the all mighty M , do the gophers actually hang final 5 banners? dq cups are the best though,FREE butterscotch dilly bars for the whole team if they win it

Really? I would take a Frozen Four appearance over either of those, especially when it includes ending a rival's season. This should be a poll.

that makes no sense since UND does not hang participation banners, that is SCSU. I do realize that it is all the same to you though so all is forgiven. :)

In all actuality, whether winning or losing the Gophers scare me every year. You guys get some good recruits and we get some good recruits, that is part of what makes our schools so great. A recruit should be proud to be recruited by either school.

I completley agree with your second statement. It wouldn't be a rivalry if the same team one every game.

Really? I would take a Frozen Four appearance over either of those, especially when it includes ending a rival's season. This should be a poll.

My point is if you dont win the whole thing, In my opinion I would enjoy winning the conference season title and the tournament title instead of nothing. I am not saying I wasnt dissappointed to lose in the NCAA tourney. I am saying i enjoyed the season more because of that. I would rather go to the final four every year. Beating UND does not make Minnesota's season as beating UM seems to make your season. The best part is we can do it all over again next year, and the years after that.