SiouxSports.com Forum

Where will the chips fall?

AZSIOUX

I could care less if the Final Five at the Xcel Energy Center gives the Gophers a home-like advantage. It's what makes it all the sweeter to watch if and when they lose to see all those Gopher fans start filing out of the arena before the 3rd period of a game is even over. :blush:

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, but putting VV on the wing would be a tremendous waste. VV was the 2nd or 3rd most reliable faceoff guy (only Toews and perhaps Oshie were more reliable) last season.

I have no problem with Oshie centering the first line, but surely VV would then center the 2nd line.

I dunno....

Forney-Oshie-Duncan

Trupp-VV-Watkins/Frattin

Zajac-Kaip-Kozek

Malone-Radke-Frattin/?

Who knows what the combos will be. I don't know who will center the 4th line at all. Trupp may end up on the first line, but I'd rather team up speed with size. VV provides size to that line like Forney does to the first line.

I think if we have two lines with two fast and small players like Trupp and Duncan, we'd be more dangerous than if we put both Trupp and Duncan on the same line.

I'd also expect Kozek to flirt with a scoring line next season at some point. I think the guy can play offensively.

Ok, I get it. So you don't like VV on the first line. That's fine. But whomever it is better be tough and forecheck well or they'll get the crap beat out of em. The way I see it, we don't have the likes of a Toews, Stafford, Zajac, Bochenski to compliment Oshie and Duncan this year. Forney and Trupp are too fragile. Kozek and Watkins haven't found a consistent way to score, and Miller is physically weak IMO. Frattin certainly had Mason Raymond like numbers in Alberta but he's a freshman. It may be that we end up with more scoring depth line to line and not have that one dominating line this year. With the defense we should have, that may be just fine.

I could care less if the Final Five at the Xcel Energy Center gives the Gophers a home-like advantage. It's what makes it all the sweeter to watch if and when they lose to see all those Gopher fans start filing out of the arena before the 3rd period of a game is even over. :blush:

Thats if they even show up for anything other than the championship (never mind the Friday night game that they always play in) game of course.

Ok, I get it. So you don't like VV on the first line. That's fine. But whomever it is better be tough and forecheck well or they'll get the crap beat out of em. The way I see it, we don't have the likes of a Toews, Stafford, Zajac, Bochenski to compliment Oshie and Duncan this year. Forney and Trupp are too fragile. Kozek and Watkins haven't found a consistent way to score, and Miller is physically weak IMO. Frattin certainly had Mason Raymond like numbers in Alberta but he's a freshman. It may be that we end up with more scoring depth line to line and not have that one dominating line this year. With the defense we should have, that may be just fine.

Uh.... where did I say that? :blush:

I've argued long before now that VV would be a GREAT center for the first line, but all indications (at least on this board) is that Oshie is centering the first line. If Oshie is to center the first line then, no, I don't want VV on the first line. He should be playing Center. Truthfully, I think Oshie is a great center but VV centerring that line would be beautiful because it adds size to the line. Oshie is all of 5'10 or 5'11 while Duncan is 5'6. VV's 6'2 frame in front of the net, coupled with his faceoff skills and his passing abilities (which IMO rival Oshie's) would make the line lethal.

But I would NOT put VV on the first line as a winger, no.

Uh.... where did I say that? :blush:

I've argued long before now that VV would be a GREAT center for the first line, but all indications (at least on this board) is that Oshie is centering the first line. If Oshie is to center the first line then, no, I don't want VV on the first line. He should be playing Center. Truthfully, I think Oshie is a great center but VV centerring that line would be beautiful because it adds size to the line. Oshie is all of 5'10 or 5'11 while Duncan is 5'6. VV's 6'2 frame in front of the net, coupled with his faceoff skills and his passing abilities (which IMO rival Oshie's) would make the line lethal.

But I would NOT put VV on the first line as a winger, no.

W is a great face off man, and passes well, but I don't think his vision and knack for distributing the puck are equal to Osh's. TJ's abilties lie in being able to put the puck on someone's tape when you think there is no way it even seems possible. Not to mention his never say quit attitude on the puck. Watch the tape of the West Regional game against mich when he was along the boards and made the pass to Zajac, which he buried (remember Tj was sprawled out and swatted the puck to Travis.) Or that pass across the crease last year when he was sliding "Ovechkin style" and swatted the puck over to Duncan I think it was. Not taking anything away from W's game, I guess I'm just saying Osh has a certain knack for making the dramatic plays, that seem almost impossible at times. Also, TJ played on the wing for about 1 1/2 of his first 2 seasons here, so we haven't really seen his puck distribution skills in full effect yet. Again, I think W is awesome and wherever he plays he will produce.

W is a great face off man, and passes well, but I don't think his vision and knack for distributing the puck are equal to Osh's. TJ's abilties lie in being able to put the puck on someone's tape when you think there is no way it even seems possible. Not to mention his never say quit attitude on the puck. Watch the tape of the West Regional game against mich when he was along the boards and made the pass to Zajac, which he buried (remember Tj was sprawled out and swatted the puck to Travis.) Or that pass across the crease last year when he was sliding "Ovechkin style" and swatted the puck over to Duncan I think it was. Not taking anything away from W's game, I guess I'm just saying Osh has a certain knack for making the dramatic plays, that seem almost impossible at times. Also, TJ played on the wing for about 1 1/2 of his first 2 seasons here, so we haven't really seen his puck distribution skills in full effect yet. Again, I think W is awesome and wherever he plays he will produce.

I don't think VV's passing skills and vision are as good as Oshie's, but I think they are close. If it was, he'd probably have gone in the first round (probably top 15 because you put VV's size and Oshie's skill set together and you have a sure fire NHLer). However, after Oshie, I'd say VV's passing skills are close to the best on the team. That's what I meant by rivalling Oshie. The fact that he's made some passes that were very Oshie-like in his time with the Sioux. The difference may be that the notable passes Oshie has made have been spectacular and resulted in a goal (like the two you mentioned). However, VV has made some VERY good passes that seemed to get to the intended target somehow but wasn't finished. For example, VV made a great pass from the corner out towards the front of the net that hit Forney square on the stick, but Forney couldn't finish.

I would say however, the most effective passes regardless of the player who does it is the pass that leads to a goal. It's like a world class move or deke made on a player. It's nice and all, but if it doesn't result in a goal, really, what good was the deke (No, I'm NOT referring to Kessel here. I'm actually referring to the 2000 NC game in which Jack Edwards made a mess in his shorts over a nice move by Farkas. However, as nice a move as it was, Goehring challenged Farkas and the result was a save, not a goal. Yet Edwards called it the "move of the playoffs." What a worthless move. No goal, who cares about the move.)?

I don't think VV's passing skills and vision are as good as Oshie's, but I think they are close. If it was, he'd probably have gone in the first round (probably top 15 because you put VV's size and Oshie's skill set together and you have a sure fire NHLer). However, after Oshie, I'd say VV's passing skills are close to the best on the team. That's what I meant by rivalling Oshie. The fact that he's made some passes that were very Oshie-like in his time with the Sioux. The difference may be that the notable passes Oshie has made have been spectacular and resulted in a goal (like the two you mentioned). However, VV has made some VERY good passes that seemed to get to the intended target somehow but wasn't finished. For example, VV made a great pass from the corner out towards the front of the net that hit Forney square on the stick, but Forney couldn't finish.

I would say however, the most effective passes regardless of the player who does it is the pass that leads to a goal. It's like a world class move or deke made on a player. It's nice and all, but if it doesn't result in a goal, really, what good was the deke (No, I'm NOT referring to Kessel here. I'm actually referring to the 2000 NC game in which Jack Edwards made a mess in his shorts over a nice move by Farkas. However, as nice a move as it was, Goehring challenged Farkas and the result was a save, not a goal. Yet Edwards called it the "move of the playoffs." What a worthless move. No goal, who cares about the move.)?

what about if you do the TRIPLE DEKE like charlie conway in mighty ducks? thats a sweet move and THE OSH should try that for sure this season, i would compare oshie to conway from the ducks, BORN LEADER :D:blush:

From what I understand they want to try Frattin on the first line right away.

That move wouldn't surprise me. You know that Duncan and Oshie will get plenty of attention so why not put a pure sniper with them. If it works out, anyone want to bet on WCHA ROY.

That move wouldn't surprise me. You know that Duncan and Oshie will get plenty of attention so why not put a pure sniper with them. If it works out, anyone want to bet on WCHA ROY.

turris. but i think frattin will get some quality attention if that does happen.

From everything that I have read, it appears that Frattin is going to be a inpact player and he will be in the line.

I think the Sioux got him at the right time. Since they signed him the expectations have only continued to increase. He was originally an 08, but he passed up a number of very good players to come in 07. I know Hak knows what he is doing. I believe that Trupp, LaPoint, and Malone will be impact players so if Frattin is able to add to that, WOW.

I'm going with Turris as ROTY over LaPoint and perhaps McDonagh or White.

I agree that Turris should score about 40-even 50 points with the Badgers. He should be in the top 3 in scoring on that team. Since that team has no offense to speak of, just defensive mastery through the trap and boring opponents to sleep, Turris' accomplishments will stand out more than White's.

• 7 months later...