SiouxSports.com Forum

Whither D-II?

jimdahl

While we often discuss who our new peers are and who's being added to DI/FCS, it's sometimes worth taking a look in the rearview mirror to remind ourselves why we're on this road.

Institutions approved for D-II membership

The Division II Membership Committee has approved moving five institutions from provisional to active status beginning September 1. Those schools are:

California State University, Monterey Bay

Chowan University

University of Mary

North Georgia College & State University

Palm Beach Atlantic College

And the new class:

The committee also at its June 26-28 meeting in Portland, Oregon, moved 12 institutions into provisional Division II membership. They are:

Brevard College

Central State University

Chestnut Hill College

Claflin University

Dixie State College of Utah

Flagler College

Georgia Southwestern State University

Newman University

Notre Dame de Namur University

Seton Hill University

Texas A&M International University

University of Texas of the Permian Basin

University of Texas of the Permian Basin? :lol:

UTPB may actually be the most prestigious school listed above. Originally intended to be UT-Odessa, the politicans at Odessa's upper crust twin rival oil-city Midland squawked and threatened to withdraw needed support. Permian Basin is a major oil basin that contributed to much of Texas' wealth and oil-base that both cities are in, so UTPB was an agreeable name. For several decades, UTPB only offered junior and senior level classes (Odessa JC and Midland College students often transferred there) and had no athletic program, so its name isn't widely known.

With Odessa's and Midland's emphasis on HS sports, MoJo, and Friday Night Lights, UTPB athletics has a mountain to climb.

• 4 weeks later...

UTPB may actually be the most prestigious school listed above. Originally intended to be UT-Odessa, the politicans at Odessa's upper crust twin rival oil-city Midland squawked and threatened to withdraw needed support. Permian Basin is a major oil basin that contributed to much of Texas' wealth and oil-base that both cities are in, so UTPB was an agreeable name. For several decades, UTPB only offered junior and senior level classes (Odessa JC and Midland College students often transferred there) and had no athletic program, so its name isn't widely known.

With Odessa's and Midland's emphasis on HS sports, MoJo, and Friday Night Lights, UTPB athletics has a mountain to climb.

FYI.....MoJo has really died down, as Odessa Permian HS (FNL) has struggled over the past few years in football, which of course is still king in Texas.

Odessa/Midland is a decent area.....but is in West Texas.....way out in the middle of BFE.

UTPB facilities leave a lot to be desired as well....and their move from NAIA to Division II was not the smartest. They were barely competitive on the NAIA level......

Texas A&M International has money.....and nice facilities.....but is in BFE in a different direction....in North Mexico. Literally right on the border, and the school is very heavy on the Hispanic side. TAMIU also moved from NAIA to D-2 at the same time, so I believe they are both heading into year 2 of the four-year transition.

Not that this means anything in the Dakota's....but just thought you might like the info.

• 3 months later...

At least as far as football goes, UNA football seems like a no brainer for FCS.

I don't know about the rest of the school to DI.

Seems like the moratorium hasn't stopped schools from announcing plans to move up.

Considering proposals to split both DII and DIII into 2 separate divisions, perhaps the NCAA needs to do a self study of the division system?

Board members want to study move to NCAA Division I level - TimesDaily.com

The University of North Alabama is looking to leave DII.

Interesting timing.

The University of South Alabama just announced that they will be starting a DI football program. Per NCAA rules, they must start as a FCS program for a few years before transitioning up to DI FBS. USA's other teams already play in the Sun Belt and once they get their football program up and running and transitioned to FBS it will also play in the Sun Belt.

University of South Alabama football

One of the big things that has kept North Alabama in D-II is the fact that they host the D-II national championship game and the Harlon Hill trophy is sponsored by the city of Florence. UNA would likely have to divorce themselves from from those two long-standing traditions to go D-I.

Also, what will the requirements be to move to D-I once the moratorium ends? Certainly they will be much more stringent and/or longer than they are now. This could be another limiting factor for UNA or any other school seriously considering making the jump in the future.

I'm not saying it can't or won't happen at UNA, but I would consider a move to D-I far from a slam dunk for them at this point.