SiouxSports.com Forum

Gopher FB player charged with sexual conduct

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah

From what I read in todays Trib report these guys are sexual predators. Would better screening of athletes have helped prevent them from getting their invites? I don't know. But there seems to be a large number of these sexual predators in college and professional sports.

This is a little off the subject but has to do with player suspensions.

What, in your opinion, constitutes an immediate expulsion from the team? I will bring up this example...In 2006, Rhett Bomar was immediately expelled, along with another Oklahoma teammate, for taking money they did not earn from a car dealership in Norman, OK. The program was recently punished by the NCAA.

That being said, this past summer, a Nebraska wide receiver was suspended for 2 arrests, one for felony assault and another for DUI. He was not expelled from the team and it is expected that he will be punished internally and suspended for a number of games during the upcoming season.

Both situations are very serious. I believe the Nebraska situation is worse but he will probably receive the lesser punishment. Why is there not a more even punishment scale for off the field incidents?

The Minnesota incident stated here certainly would warrant immediate expulsion from the team and the university itself.

By college and professional sports, do you mean college and professional football & basketball? Because it sure seems like the majority of athletes who get in trouble with the law are from one of those two sports.

Let's hold off on breaking the hockey player's halos out of the shrinkwrap.

By college and professional sports, do you mean college and professional football & basketball? Because it sure seems like the majority of athletes who get in trouble with the law are from one of those two sports.

They also get the most media attention so the media are quick to point out anytime anyone gets into any trouble at all within the two sports.

Let's hold off on breaking the hockey player's halos out of the shrinkwrap.

I'm not excluding any sport including hockey. But as DaveK and SirHinn point out these two sports do seem have more offenses given that most of us only know about those cases that are covered by the media.

I'm not excluding any sport including hockey. But as DaveK and SirHinn point out these two sports do seem have more offenses given that most of us only know about those cases that are covered by the media.

These two sports don't statistically have more offenses. Football players and basketball players are no more likely to be rapists and criminals than hockey players, tennis players, swimmers, frat boys, doctors, lawyers, or any other group of men. It's just these two sports receive a great deal more media scrutiny than other sports, so when a few bad apples show up it's shown on tv nationwide. Remember other groups have their incidents (DU hockey, Duke Lacrosse, heck there's even been stories about HS women's teams that are fairly disgusting), it's just these, with the exception of the Duke Lacrosse incident, didn't get the media attention other cases involving FB and and BB players received.

The four players have been dismissed by Coach Brewster.

Linky

A job well done by the Coach, I'd say.

I don't know what I feel regarding the suspensions. These four guys have not been convicted of anything (as of yet). I'm not saying that they did not do it but as of yet they are not charged with any crimes. I would have preferred a suspension (which is basically saying that they can not play) and then an expulsion if/when they are found guilty.

This sort of situation could possibly turn into another Duke Lacrosse incedent.... (not that I think that this is likely). What if these actions were consensual. What if the one player lied to the police in order to stay out of trouble (he will soon be serving time for theft). There are many variables and I think in the end the court will hear the facts and make a verdict.

I think that the popular move would be to kick the players off the team but if they are found innocent what happens then? Will their scholly still be available to them?

I don't know what I feel regarding the suspensions. These four guys have not been convicted of anything (as of yet). I'm not saying that they did not do it but as of yet they are not charged with any crimes. I would have preferred a suspension (which is basically saying that they can not play) and then an expulsion if/when they are found guilty.

This sort of situation could possibly turn into another Duke Lacrosse incedent.... (not that I think that this is likely). What if these actions were consensual. What if the one player lied to the police in order to stay out of trouble (he will soon be serving time for theft). There are many variables and I think in the end the court will hear the facts and make a verdict.

I think that the popular move would be to kick the players off the team but if they are found innocent what happens then? Will their scholly still be available to them?

Um...NDSUguy, the local police department gave a briefing of the incident the other day in which they described the cell phone video recording of the player in question "finishing a sex act on the face of the victim" as she lay passed out on the bed. I'm not sure how much more evidence you need than that.

Um...NDSUguy, the local police department gave a briefing of the incident the other day in which they described the cell phone video recording of the player in question "finishing a sex act on the face of the victim" as she lay passed out on the bed. I'm not sure how much more evidence you need than that.

That is true.... Please remember though that the DA for the Lacrosse case said that they had DNA evidence in that case. That was ultimately not true and we all know what the outcome was....

My point was that these guys have not been convicted of anything. I understand the suspension but expulsion of the players from the team might not be the best move.

That is true.... Please remember though that the DA for the Lacrosse case said that they had DNA evidence in that case. That was ultimately not true and we all know what the outcome was....

My point was that these guys have not been convicted of anything. I understand the suspension but expulsion of the players from the team might not be the best move.

And despite the fact that those charges were ultimately dismissed, the Duke lacrosse coached resigned and the team forfeited its season as a penalty. This is no different.

And despite the fact that those charges were ultimately dismissed, the Duke lacrosse coached resigned and the team forfeited its season as a penalty. This is no different.

My point exactly and that is why the UofM should learn from what went wrong at Duke. The student athletes involved (and even those not involved) were adversly affected due to something that ultimately was NOT true. If these four players are innocent and they are dismissed from the team that will have a VERY negative impact on them for something that they never did.

Dismissals should not be par for the course. I am all for them if they are found guilty but until that point, suspensions are more than appropriate.

I agree. An indefinite suspension would have been the better move until outcome of this case was a certainty. While I absolutely do not condone the supposed actions of these players, I am a believer in the backbone called "innocent until proven guilty". Duke lacrosse is a perfect example, as is the Kobe Bryant incident. Kobe was guilty of adultery in the end, not rape. Quite a big difference between moral law and federal law.

This isn't the legal system. It is a school where the victim attends. This loser videotaped himself raping an unconscious girl. I just wish he had been EXPELLED and banned from the premises on the spot.

My point exactly and that is why the UofM should learn from what went wrong at Duke. The student athletes involved (and even those not involved) were adversly affected due to something that ultimately was NOT true. If these four players are innocent and they are dismissed from the team that will have a VERY negative impact on them for something that they never did.

VIDEO!!!

ON HIS OWN PHONE!!!

WITH A TIME STAMP!!!

and ALREADY VERIFIED DNA!!!

THIS IS NOT DUKE!

VIDEO!!!

ON HIS OWN PHONE!!!

WITH A TIME STAMP!!!

and ALREADY VERIFIED DNA!!!

THIS IS NOT DUKE!

Settle down... These guys are innocent until proven guilty. The Duke case is a perfect example. In that case they stated that they had tons of evidence which they were never able to produce.

In this case the police state that they have tons of evidence... which they have yet to produce (except for stating that they have it). While I am leaning towards believing that these guys are probably guilty (of something) that doesn't make them guilty until they are proven guilty.

Settle down... These guys are innocent until proven guilty. The Duke case is a perfect example. In that case they stated that they had tons of evidence which they were never able to produce.

In this case the police state that they have tons of evidence... which they have yet to produce (except for stating that they have it). While I am leaning towards believing that these guys are probably guilty (of something) that doesn't make them guilty until they are proven guilty.

BS! They are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law, not at the University where the raped girl attends.

BS! They are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law, not at the University where the raped girl attends.

If they are kicked out of school and they are found to be innocent.... what happens then? Do they have legal recourse againist the University for their dismissal from the football team as well as the university (due to lost scholly)? The University should let the legal system do what it does. Once there is a ruling the University should act. Until then I think that suspension is entirely appropriate. There is no need to kick them out of school and off the team.