SiouxSports.com Forum

Blue's Development Camp

WiSioux

We've seen Dunc's hit all over the net. Obviously, top right corner tends to be his most visited area of the net. Like Toews, I think Dunc's could hit this without even looking at the net, but I do recall him hitting other area of the net as well.

This camp can only help these guys more, which makes it even more exciting for us fans. Is it hockey season yet??

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've seen Dunc's hit all over the net. Obviously, top right corner tends to be his most visited area of the net. Like Toews, I think Dunc's could hit this without even looking at the net, but I do recall him hitting other area of the net as well.

This camp can only help these guys more, which makes it even more exciting for us fans. Is it hockey season yet??

I think it is a little bit that when Duncan snaps high glove side it is just more memorable, especially since he had that highlight weekend against the rodents.

When I interviewed Duncan for a USCHO story last season, he actually seemed a bit miffed that people thought his only shot was high glove from the right circle. He said that he works on shooting from everywhere. When you look at some of the highlights posted of his goals, you'll see that he is capable of scoring on different shots from other areas. Toews said Duncan's shot was so effective because he uses a small stick with little flex, which enables him to shoot the puck more quickly than most goalies can react.

I heard he shots at a tooth pick after practice taped to the pipe.

It seems to me Duncan has a knack for shooting the puck to the area of the net that the goalie isn't covering. More often than not last year, that opening was high glove side. I think the perception that high glove is the only kind of goal Hobey, er, Ryan can score will help him next year. Goalies will undoubtably cheat there, and in doing so, will leave other areas open.

The main thing is that he shoots with his head up.

I was also shocked to see his stick. It's an Easton 110 flex and is really short (obviously). The shorter the stick the stiffer it gets. That is the flex on many power forwards in the pros stick of twice the length. But somehow Ryan still manages to get some great whip on that thing.

I wish somebody would ask Davidson if he is kicking himself for not drafting Toews after seeing Oshie and Duncan play well together at camp...Imagine if they could have kept that line together...Bad move by the Blues, EMFJ is good and all, but keeping that line together would have been magic.

While we're at it, let's ask Minnesota and Hartford if they are kicking themselves for not drafting Steve Yzerman instead of Brian Lawton and Sylvain Turgeon, respectively, in 1983. My money says John Davidson is busy watching Erik Johnson and can't help but think of Al MacInnis (in terms of potential at this point, obviously). I'm guessing he's not kicking himself just yet.

Wow - He practices shooting the puck while he's taped to the post? That my friends is dedication - no wonder he won the Hobey!

My only question is where is the toothpick located while he's taped to the post? Hopefully not in the mouth of a teammate? :lol:

• 2 weeks later...