SiouxSports.com Forum

Trivia ?

Fetch

Lets try a thread where you post a Trivia Question & then the 1st person to answer it, gets to ask the next question ?

I'll go 1st & it's kinda tough :silly:

What was the name of the 1st Minnesota NFL team ?

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YES---Blues, Nordiques, San Jose Sharks, Chicago Blackhawks, Dallas Stars, Edmonton Oilers, New York Islanders, Mighty Ducks of Anaheim, and Atlanta Thrashers.

OPPS!!! thats only 9 :silly:

YES---Blues, Nordiques, San Jose Sharks, Chicago Blackhawks, Dallas Stars, Edmonton Oilers, New York Islanders, Mighty Ducks of Anaheim, and Atlanta Thrashers.

OPPS!!! thats only 9 :silly:

Indianapolis Ice

Peoria Rivermen

Milwaukee Admirals

Michigan K-Wings

All are pro teams he played for as well.

Come on Goon wheres your question ?

Lets see; what was the first year the Border Patrol was in existance?

No just kidding. Who was the first American to score 50 goals in the NHL?

Hint it's been a while.

Ok ... Who was the 1st NHL player to sign for a million dollars a year in straight salary without bonuses?

Derrek Sanderson? I know at one time he had the highest paying contract in professional sports.

It is a trick question sort of

Who is the first person to sign a million dollar contract in any sport? I have found one source saying it was Sanderson and another saying it was Hull.

- Rick, Toronto

A. For starters, I don't pretend to know much about other sports, so I can't help you there.

In hockey, it's hard to get a definitive answer because historical NHL salary information is not reliable. NHL salary figures were not made public until the 1990s, when the NHLPA began releasing them.

Having said that, the evidence suggests that Bobby Hull is the answer. Here's what we think we know:

At the beginning of the 1971-72 season, Bobby Orr signed a contract with the Boston Bruins worth a reported $200,000 per season over five years. So he made a million dollars, but spread over five years.

Derek Sanderson and Bobby Hull are widely remembered as hockey's first millionaires because of the sensation they caused in 1972, when they left the NHL to sign big contracts with the new World Hockey Association.

Sanderson was only a millionaire on paper.

His five-year, $2.65 million deal with the Philadelphia Blazers briefly made him the world's richest athlete. But he played only a few WHA games before returning to the NHL, so he never collected his millions.

Hull's WHA contract was worth $2.75 million over ten years, with $1 million of that paid up front. So Hull qualifies as the first guy to make $1 million in a single year. No NHL salary came close to $1 million a year back then.

There are reports that Bernie Parent was paid $1 million by the Philadelphia Flyers for one season in the late 1970s. But as far as I know, that has never been confirmed. It is also said that the Chicago Blackhawks paid Orr $1.3 million per year after he left Boston. But he only played 26 games over three seasons in Chicago, so there is some doubt as to how much cash he collected.

In his autobiography, Wayne Gretzky says his base salary with the Edmonton Oilers never approached $1 million. But in his final years as an Oiler he could boost his pay to the $1 million mark by cashing in bonuses for winning the MVP award, the scoring championship, making the All Star team, and so on. The first time he ever signed a true million-dollar deal was when he joined the Los Angeles Kings in 1988 and settled on a base salary of $2 million per year.

That same season - 1988-89 - Mario Lemieux signed a new contract paying him $1.6 million, the first time he topped the million-dollar mark.