SiouxSports.com Forum

Hard luck season

OETKB

Let's face it. This is a hard luck season for the Sioux.

Tonight, they get what should have been a goal with about 17 seconds left waived off because the ref lost sight of the puck. Another 1 goal "performance" for UND = another 1 goal loss.

Let's face it. This is a hard luck season for the Sioux.

Tonight, they get what should have been a goal with about 17 seconds left waived off because the ref lost sight of the puck. Another 1 goal "performance" for UND = another 1 goal loss.

May I ask a question (no flames intended)....

Can you honestly say the ref shouldn't have blown the whistle when he did? It looked to me like UMD's goalie had the puck covered (I certainly didn't see it loose) and the puck only came loose after the whistle was blown when a North Dakota player pushed hard on the goalie.

I wouldn't call this a "hard luck" season at all. The team got what it deserved, in the standings and any seedings. There were nights when they played nearly flawless hockey, and others when it seemed like they didn't give a damn. In most of the losses we've had this season they occurred because the other team wanted to win it more, and then played like it. I'm generally pleased with the team's season, although there were times when I was completely frustrated by their lack of will to win. Hopefully, they take the ride as long as they can and build on it.

I didn't get to watch the game so I can't say anything about this particular event. I think what OETKB may have been pointing out, though, is how frequently the Sioux seem to lose by one goal and almost pull it out in the last couple of seconds only to find that the ref blows the whistle a bit early, someone gets called for a lame penalty, or, as probably happens more often then not, the bounce just doesn't quite go the Sioux's way.

It's more hard luck in that the Sioux have been so close on so many of these games...it's not so hard luck when you realize that they shouldn't have been in the position to fall inches short so many times. A little more hussle here, a little more hunger there, a bit more patience at times, and the Sioux would be in quite a different situation right now.

The save Brandt made on Fransisco was absolutely amazing. It was a great play all around and Brandt was just a little better at that moment. Looked to me like Lessard barely got a piece of the GWG and it trickled in. Brandt was in good position and I think if Lessard had got more of the puck it hit him square in the chest.

Schmitt (sp?) was quick on the whistle and consistant about it on both ends all night. I didn't see anything wrong with how it was called.

Looked to me like Lessard barely got a piece of the GWG and it trickled in. Brandt was in good position and I think if Lessard had got more of the puck it hit him square in the chest.

That's the way it looked on the replay. Lessard just got a piece of it, and the puck had eyes making it's way through the 5 hole. Which is why I posted the good bounce on the GWG.