SiouxSports.com Forum

WHat Happened?

Prpichrocks_19

Anyone know what happened to Micheal Forney? And if I remember right Jake Marto is coming to play for UND next year right?

Forney - Ineffective / Injury should be better next year.

Marto - Yes, coming next year. Done OK on a bad team and +++ added 20 pounds the last 2 seasons and if he adds another 10 should be physically ready for the WCHA. Should be very mature.

Anyone know what happened to Micheal Forney? And if I remember right Jake Marto is coming to play for UND next year right?

He did not practice well enough to earn a regular spot in the line up. If he can get over the injury issues hopefully next year he will come back stronger and we can see what he is capable of.

Forney's health will always be a question mark, but lets hope he can get healthy in the offseason and he can show us next season why he was such a highly reguarded recruit. I think the couple years of juniors has helped Marto, I am hoping he will be solid on the blueline for us right away. It's great he put on some weight, I think that will help his body hold up over a WCHA seaon. It seems he is a more offensive minded blueliner, so we may have to stick him with a defensive guy like Jones or Finley (assuming Lee and Chorney stay together, I think they work great together).

With only 3 players graduating and 6 recruits committed for 2007, where will they end up if our flight risks decide to stay another year?

Players Out / Players In

Foyt -- Marto

Porter -- Malone

Fabian -- Hextall

Toews? -- Trupp

Oshie? -- Hamilton

Lee? -- Lapointe

Chorney?

Finley?

IMO, it means more competition for ice time which should lead to more intense practices and in the end a better team. At leaste that's how I see it. :D

What about Matt Moreland? He was the last player cut from the team in 2004-05. Supposedly there were plans to bring him back after a couple of years with the FM Jets. He's still with the Jets at the moment, and I would imagine if he is ever going to make the Sioux roster it would have to be next year.

With the talent that's slated to come in, do you really think Moreland has a chance?

Well, considering that he was the last player cut two years ago and most likely is better now than he was two years ago... I would think that he might have a chance unless the incoming talent is vastly superior to what we had two years ago. Considering that I haven't seen the incoming players play, I don't think I am in a position to make that judgement.

Well, I'd say he had his shot, and couldn't crack the lineup, then or now.

With only 3 players graduating and 6 recruits committed for 2007, where will they end up if our flight risks decide to stay another year?

Players Out / Players In

Foyt -- Marto

Porter -- Malone

Fabian -- Hextall

Toews? -- Trupp

Oshie? -- Hamilton

Lee? -- Lapointe

Chorney?

Finley?

i think toews is the only goner, but im probably wrong. hextall could maybe be back at the bchl next year, but he is apparently an 07 and hamilton will take the spot that bishop left. maybe they will just have an extra player?

Forney is going to be having surgery in the offseason, and Moreland wont be coming back to UND while he was playing at Fargo he took some classes at UND and now the NCAA told him he has to have junior level credits to play since he was taking part time classes for a few years that is why he wasnt playing this year because he actually would of made the team had it not been for the credits situation

Forney is going to be having surgery in the offseason, and Moreland wont be coming back to UND while he was playing at Fargo he took some classes at UND and now the NCAA told him he has to have junior level credits to play since he was taking part time classes for a few years that is why he wasnt playing this year because he actually would of made the team had it not been for the credits situation

Really? Who would he have knocked out of the existing lineup?

Players Out / Players In

Foyt -- Marto

Porter -- Malone

Fabian -- Hextall

Toews? -- Trupp

Oshie? -- Hamilton

Lee? -- Lapointe

Chorney?

Finley?

You also have to keep in mind that the Sioux are a little short right now. 3 seniors, Bishop left so that is four spots. Hamilton filled a practice role that was needed so someone else is needed in that role, so that is 5. And finally, the Sioux could have used one more defensive spot for practice / backup this year so that is 6 spots. A "full" squad would be 3 goalies, 8 defenders, and 15 forwards. So really, right now I see us with 1 extra forward for 2007 assuming no one left. And the bold indicates a reasonable chance of early departure.

For 2007:

Goalie (3)

Philippe Lamoureux

Anthony Grieco

Aaron Walski

Defense (8)

Robbie Bina

Taylor Chorney

Joe Finley

Zach Jones

Brian Lee

Chay Genoway

Derrick LaPoint

Jake Marto

Forward (16)

Ryan Duncan

Michael Forney

Kyle Radke

Rylan Kaip

Andrew Kozek

Ryan Martens

Brad Miller

TJ Oshie

Jonathan Toews

Chris VandeVelde

Matt Watkins

Darcy Zajac

Shea Hamilton

Brett Hextall

Brad Malone

Evan Trupp

Thank you. That's the information I was looking for.

Maybe it's just me, but if my intention was to play college hockey, I think I would try to have the credits to make myself eligible. Certainly if he was going to make the team at some point don't you think someone might have informed him of the academic requirements? Or, maybe you get the "I'm a Grand Forks native and North Dakota Mr. Hockey free pass" on this one.

I could have seen him getting some time early in the season... but then again, if Martens lost time as the year wore on, surely Moreland would have lost even more.

Well Martens lost time because he was hurt for most of the second half. He only returned for the last SCSU game which he scored in and then he played the MSU playoff series. He was rotating with VV earlier in the year but losing all that playing time basically gave VV the spot. Martens got to play when Watkins was hurt but then gave it up when he returned.

I have another question. Well I asked Kyle Radke why he was playing forward and he said that it is becasue of Hakstal. But he didint really give me an answer so I was wondering why he has playing forward instead of defense?

It's a secret!! Shhhhh.............

It's a secret!! Shhhhh.............

It's not that big a secret.

It's a 'bizarre' situation called "coach wants me to play where I do the best for the team". Eric Johnson has been dealing with the same situation this year, too according to press releases. Along with about a thousand squirts (and their parents) in the state of Minnesota who think they should be first line center. :lol: