SiouxSports.com Forum

Duncan for Hobey

Sioux Hockey Fanatic

The top three finalist for Hobey Baker are up. Eric Ehn, David Brown and Ryan Duncan.

Go Duncan! I think his chances are good-we are the only team still in the dance with a hobey contender.

I'm actually surprised John Curry from BU didn't make it, but with ehn bein from a lower tier league and brown being more of a product of the system in some peoples eyes, Duncan's chances are suddenly better. Very surprised Ehn made it over hensick though

if you click on how to vote on hobeybaker.com it shows the top 3 vote getters which are ehn, brown, and duncan, but i dont know those are the three finalists.

That doesn't really mean anything. When they officially announce the Hobey Hat Trick, it will mean something.

Doesn't look like you can. It says, "Survey unavailable"?? :silly:

I would speculate that Brown, Curry and Hensick we'll be the finalists, brown and hensick because of the numbers and curry because you need someone from out east usually. Kinda sucks but duncan may be on the outside lookin in

I'll restate (perhaps change) my picks:

Top three:

Ehn -- Feel good story. Good pub for "lesser conferences." Not necessarily a good Hobey Baker winner, but since when does the most deserving player get the award? (see Panzer). Since Air Force is now in AHA, they think that will garner the Eastern vote.

Hensick -- Big school. Big numbers. Big publicity. NOT WCHA. Not the best attitude but his on ice performance isn't questionable at all.

Curry -- Eastern School. Big School. NOT WCHA.

Sleeper picks: Brown (ND), Duncan (UND)

Duncan won't win because he's a sophomore from a school the NCAA doesn't like that hasn't broken any records who plays on a line that should produce numbers like that.

If the NCAA and the folks on the committee were ever looking to take the Hobey away from the WCHA, this is the year they could do it with only the minimum of kvetching.

I'll restate (perhaps change) my picks:

Top three:

Ehn -- Feel good story. Good pub for "lesser conferences." Not necessarily a good Hobey Baker winner, but since when does the most deserving player get the award? (see Panzer). Since Air Force is now in AHA, they think that will garner the Eastern vote.

Hensick -- Big school. Big numbers. Big publicity. NOT WCHA. Not the best attitude but his on ice performance isn't questionable at all.

Curry -- Eastern School. Big School. NOT WCHA.

Sleeper picks: Brown (ND), Duncan (UND)

Duncan won't win because he's a sophomore from a school the NCAA doesn't like that hasn't broken any records who plays on a line that should produce numbers like that.

If the NCAA and the folks on the committee were ever looking to take the Hobey away from the WCHA, this is the year they could do it with only the minimum of kvetching.

the ncaa has absolutely nothing to do with picking the hobey winner or finalists.

Wednesday, the 28th, they will be announcing the Hobey Hat Trick of Finalists.

1, 10 minute misconduct wont have a darn thing to do with a hobey baker award, lets be real, its the top 3 players...and if they feel he is top 3 which i think he should be then he will be in

hensick

brown

duncan

my guesses

1, 10 minute misconduct wont have a darn thing to do with a hobey baker award, lets be real, its the top 3 players...and if they feel he is top 3 which i think he should be then he will be in

hensick

brown

duncan

my guesses

The 10 minute misconduct in the most important game of the year will definitely have some impact. It remains to be seen how much.

I wouldn't vote for such a one dimensional player anyway but talk about the worst possible timing. Tell me that the voters haven't at least read about it and what their impressions would be. It has to be a factor.

Lots of voters will notice the timing and his comments about the incident, which were none too smart.

Here's real...

You are the best player on your team. You are in the West regional with a team that beat you last season in the first game. Your team is behind, and need your help badly... you are the best scoring threat available.

...but you had to shoot your big f'ing mouth off to the ref and he gave you 10 minutes of solitary, pretty much screwing your team out of any chance of a comeback.

Hobey criteria 1 through 3= D