SiouxSports.com Forum

PWR vs. KRACH?

mikejm

I wish I would've saved the "final" KRACH rankings, and compared how the Regionals would've been seeded using this superior system instead of the Pairwise. It just seems to me that relying so heavily on Pairwise created some over-seeded teams. How else does one explain the fact that for the first time in NCAA history NO #1 seeds advance to the Frozen Four?

What do we have: three 3s and a 4? The Tournament committee ought to be embarassed at this result and be taking a real objective look at what Pairwise has finally delivered.

Anyone, by chance, have the KRACH rankings from a week ago still lying around somewhere? And would you care to seed the teams into four regional brackets using the NCAA's criteria? I'd be damn interested in seeing what the Frozen Four participants' ranks are.

(Does that make sense?)

I wish I would've saved the "final" KRACH rankings, and compared how the Regionals would've been seeded using this superior system instead of the Pairwise. It just seems to me that relying so heavily on Pairwise created some over-seeded teams. How else does one explain the fact that for the first time in NCAA history NO #1 seeds advance to the Frozen Four?

What do we have: three 3s and a 4? The Tournament committee ought to be embarassed at this result and be taking a real objective look at what Pairwise has finally delivered.

Anyone, by chance, have the KRACH rankings from a week ago still lying around somewhere? And would you care to seed the teams into four regional brackets using the NCAA's criteria? I'd be damn interested in seeing what the Frozen Four participants' ranks are.

(Does that make sense?)

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/ratings/krach.php

EDIT: actually, the CHN one is current, here is the one the committee would have used, if they used KRACH.

http://www.uscho.com/rankings/?data=krach

Thanks j, but that KRACH is current as of today. What I am looking for is the KRACH that was computed at the end of the WCHA Final Five (which was I believe) the last of the conference playoffs to wrap up. I want to compare how a KRACH-seeded NCAA tourney would look with what PWR spit out. So I need an archived KRACH.

Jim? Any help? Got anything squirelled away here at SS.com?

Thanks j, but that KRACH is current as of today. What I am looking for is the KRACH that was computed at the end of the WCHA Final Five (which was I believe) the last of the conference playoffs to wrap up. I want to compare how a KRACH-seeded NCAA tourney would look with what PWR spit out. So I need an archived KRACH.

See above

Yep, he updated his post. The CHN is the same as here, updated with the most current games.

USCHO's does seems to be from sometime in the past, but it's tough to determine precisely when.

Someone else asked once for the ability to run KRACH over an arbitrary set of dates (e.g. Christmas -> now, or Beginning of season -> 3/20/07, or so forth). It's not a bad idea and is trivial to implement, but building an interface around it will take a little time.

I think the second link j posted is correct... both UND and UMTC records are two games short, so that'd be prior to NCAA play. I'm going to band the seeds and see what comes out...

Obviously a #1 seed makes it, in BC, but at least two more WCHA teams would've been "in" so the argument is sort of pointless.

But, then, so are most of my posts, so what's new? :silly:

With those KRACH ranking the WCHA would have had like 5 teams in and UMASS and MAINE would have been at home watching the tourney.

I could live with that. I agree with the poster that said they need to reward who is playing well at the end of the season. Their would still only be one

number one seed in the tourney and that would BC and Clarkson would have been a two seed which is still a huge stretch.

After this past weekend, I'm not completely convinced that the PairWise rankings were all that unfair to the WCHA. SCSU, the second best team in the WCHA, got schooled by Maine, the fifth best team in Hockey East. The Huskies were one and done from what was supposed to be the easiest bracket in the tournament. Minnesota had to come from two goals down in the third period to beat Air Force. UND had to come from behind twice to beat the second best team in the CCHA.

Neither Colorado College nor Denver were playing well enough at season's end to make me think they would have gone anywhere in the playoffs. Michigan Tech? As bad as they looked against Wisconsin, I'm not convinced that they were a playoff-caliber team, either. The one WCHA team that didn't make the NCAA tournament that might have made some noise in the playoffs was Wisconsin, and that's only because of the Brian Elliott factor.

The only team in the WCHA that was consistently good in the second half of the season and played well in the playoffs was UND. That team is going to the Frozen Four. Minnesota can make a strong case that it deserved to be at the Frozen Four based on winning the WCHA regular season championship and the Final Five. However, that has nothing to do with PWR and everything to do with how the NCAA seeded the teams.

If we reseed the teams that DID make the tournament based on KRACH, here is what we would have gotten:

West:

1. Minnesota

16. Air Force (#51 KRACH)

8. Michigan

9. Boston University

Midwest:

2. Notre Dame

15. Alabama-Huntsville (#46 KRACH)

7. Clarkson

10. Michigan State (#12 KRACH)

East:

3. St. Cloud

14. St. Lawrence (#18 KRACH)

6. North Dakota

11. Maine (#15 KRACH)

Northeast:

4. Boston College

13. Miami (#17 KRACH)

5. New Hampshire

12. UMASS (#16 KRACH)

The only inter-conference matchup we have is New Hampshire vs UMASS, so we switch UMASS with the closest #3 seed that doesn't result in inter-conference matchups, which is Michigan State, so our tournament is...

Denver Regional:

1. Minnesota

16. Air Force (51 krach)

8. Michigan

9. Boston University

Manchester Regional:

4. Boston College

13. Miami (17 krach)

5. New Hampshire

10. Michigan State (12 krach)

Rochester Regional:

3. St. Cloud