SiouxSports.com Forum

XCEL Thursday!

01grad

How does everybody think we will do this Thursday and the rest of the final five? I am so glad that we made it. It's tough not living up there and going to the games because I need my Sioux hockey (It's a good outlet for aggression and a positive stress reliever). I have to admit I was a little skeptical towards the end though. But we always were a comeback team with our gambling leader. (Maybe that's why we get so many players from the Green Bay Gamblers.) Brandt made some huge saves and if he can continue this Thursday we will see at least two more sioux games!!! I think that Duluth will play Reichmuth since he has done better this year, but he is only a freshman, will his nerves come into play? Or, they might play Anderson and we will light the senior up. Our guys have their intensity and desire back. I just hope the games are as exciting as Sunday's and there are tons of Sioux jerseys around just like at Sensers. Sioux will beat Duluth 5-3. I think this is a good place to start and we don't want to look too far ahead or get our hopes up just yet. Thursday won't come siouxn enough!!! It will be great to see everybody again.

Born a gopher fan, converted Sioux fan forever!!!

Let's do this thing!!! :D

Hey it's playoff time, anything can happen. Even if a team has done excellent during the course of the season it still just comes down to one game. If many mistakes are made, there are bad bounces or they aren't prepared mentally you just never know. The Sioux are a playoff calibur team which they have proved in the past. We do have guys on the team with experience and freshman that know what it takes like Parise. What team are you pulling for anyway?

Given Brandt's performance this weekend, I think the Sioux will be tough competition if he continues that play. The first time this year, including all the "cupcakes", where I felt like the Sioux goaltending (Brandt) matched the competition's (and matching Berkhoel/Dubielewicz is the toughest match of any competition this year).

I expect the Sioux to get past Duluth and give CC a good game, losing by 1. Then, coming back to beat Mankato for third place. Nice getting two revenge wins out of the way this weekend, the CC revenge game can wait until the FF :D .

Lofty expectations, but a Sioux fan's expectations, nonetheless :)

Here's my take on the Final Five from the Sioux perspective

Astonishing - Winning Championship Game

Hey, it's near impossible to even make this game, much less win it

Excellent - Beat UMD, lose CC, Beat MSU-M/UM

Excellent - Beat UMD, Beat CC, Lose Championship game

Taking 3rd place in this tournament, the way the last part of the season has gone would be a very good accomplishment. Remember, if they do this, they would have won 4 of 6 games in 9 days. Some of them OT games.

Taking Second Place would be an even higher accomplishment

Good - Beat UMD, show CC, show MSU-M/UM

Not great, but you can't complain. Remember that 3rd place game the Sioux will be playing their 3rd game and the opponent just their second. Therefore it is a significant hurdle. Combine that with the fact that either opponent finished much higher in the league....

Disappointing - Lose UMD

One game and out. Now that would suck.

I will hope for the best also, against both UMD and CC, if they meet.

CC has a little payback to deliver, though, as they have been on the tired side of several "tired/rested" playoff matchups with the Sioux. Two years ago, they got it twice in two weeks, losing to UND in the WCHA playoffs after the play-in game (I think), then losing to bye-team UND in the NCAA quarterfinals after going to OT the day before.

All signs point to CC winning a potential matchup with UND. But, of course, they bother to play the games for a reason.

Isn't it true that no team, which has participated in the play-in game has made it to the championship? Or was it just that no team has won the championship? If this is true that would be a great streak to break!!!

We need to start lots of let's go sioux cheers at the game and make our presence known. It will be great without the pesky sioux-nickname hating St. Cloud fans there. :D

Two teams--Michigan Tech (1996) and Northern Michigan (1993)-- played-in and made the championship game where both lost to the Gophers. It's all uphill. To win it all, the Sioux would have to win: the play-in Thursday night at 7:08 [why 7:08??], the semi-final against CC at 2:08 [ why 2:08?] the next afternoon, then the championship game the next night. The tournament schedule is definitely stacked against the lower seeds. Don't even get me started on the money-driven decision that puts the Gophers in the night-time game year after year! But, hey, don't count the Sioux out yet; they are a well-conditioned team. If anybody can win it with jelly in their legs, the Sioux can. Stay positive. And don't make me lecture you again!

For those of us who won't be in St. Paul, is there TV for the Final Five? I was hoping to watch the Sioux on Thursday, but at least if they win catch the Friday game? Fox North perhaps?

All WCHA games except for Friday afternoon are televise on live FSN.

YaneA - Is this a free lecture or is there an admission charge? :D

Greyeagle: Non-Sioux fans may audit my lecture at no charge.

I'll have to write you a check when I complete the lecture series, YaneA.

BTW - Just saw this morning's paper. The Friday afternoon WCHA game is not on because FSN is carrying the Gopher women's final four game from Duluth at 4pm. That (I suspect) will go over like a fart in church.

BTW - Just saw this morning's paper. The Friday afternoon WCHA game is not on because FSN is carrying the Gopher women's final four game from Duluth at 4pm. That (I suspect) will go over like a fart in church.

IMO it's worse than a fart in church. "Gurls" basketball. Say it ain't true. Bluetorch TV would be better competition :D

Hey is this the diggler from the old arena with the green jersey who always sat by the glass? If you remember the lucky fly it must be you. Remember the good times we all had, the pucks that were always being shot at us because we were hanging over the glass talking trash. This is Tim and I was always with Luke sitting down by you. We were Polson's friends and always waited in line outside. Remember the time when we burned Nate's couch? Anyways, I just wanted to see if this was you because we saw you at the Tech series but we were in the upper deck. Hope to see you at the X!

It's women's hockey, not basketball. Not that I think you'll like it any better....

:D Just goes to show how many sports I know anything about outside DI men's hockey, and it's unlikely I'll skip work to watch the gurls. More internet audio, I guess, getting tired of it.

Heck yeah. Don't forget when you fell down the stairs at the old Ralphy. That was freaking hillarious. Then again you probably don't remember it. :D I have never killed another insect at a hockey game since that unfortunate incident. You still holding onto that couch cushion from Nate's couch? :) I'm too poor to go to the X.