SiouxSports.com Forum

No Coaches' Show Summary

PCM

Sorry, Sioux fans, but I got a phone call right as the Fighting Sioux Coaches' Show was starting and I had to deal with a flood emergency in my yard. By the time I got back to the computer, the show was over.

I know people look forward to this and are waiting to read it, but it just wasn't in the cards tonight.

Hope that the yard can be safely pailed without any intrusion into your home.

The lake forming in my backyard isn't a threat to my house. Sappysieve, however, became concerned when his garage began to float. :angry:

The lake forming in my backyard isn't a threat to my house. Sappysieve, however, became concerned when his garage began to float. :angry:

Tell Sappysieve I'll have my wife's relatives in Winnipeg keep an eye out for it. :lol: Wow! What a goal by Drew Stafford as I typed this. Goal of the night!

I must have known you weren't going to get a report. I was just getting home about the time it started, and was quite interested in it, so I sat in my vehicle in my garage until it was over. :lol:

They talked about the games this past weekend. He thought the guys wasted the first 25 minutes of the games against Minnesota. Thought they needed to come out with a different outlook. Had too many occasions that they ended up turning their power play into a penalty kill. It still was anybody's game though. Right up to the end.

Talked about the game this weekend against Mich. Hak pretty much gave a summary of the players on that team. Not going to look past our first game.

A caller asked about how a matching penalty somestimes goes to a 4 on 4 and sometimes stays at 5 on 5. There was a very long explanation to that, but Hak called it the "Gwozdecky rule". Sorry, I cant explain it. :( He did say that Gwoz takes advantage of drawing penalties at the end of the game, because of this.

Another caller wanted to know if Hak was in favor of a tie game, going to a 4 on 4 OT, and then to a shootout if needed. Hak likes that idea, but it changes the whole scenario of the playoff picture. Gave an example of last year with the Oilers. Without their shootout wins, they would not have made it into the playoff run.

OK. So my summary sucks, but thats all I can remember. :angry:

Thanks for filling in, Siouxmama! thumbsup.gif

I'll never live up the the Sudo reporter title, but I will give it a whirl when needed.

P.S. I may be the next one fighting a flood. Culverts aren't open yet, and my yard is filling fast! Water will probably be over my driveway by the morning. :angry:

How can we complain when the service has been so reliable all year? I hope all goes well with the water, PCM.

Thanks, Siouxmama. Sounded like some interesting conversation. If anybody heard more about the Gwozdecky Rule I'd be all for reading more about it. Sounded informative.

How can we complain when the service has been so reliable all year? I hope all goes well with the water, PCM.

Thanks, Siouxmama. Sounded like some interesting conversation. If anybody heard more about the Gwozdecky Rule I'd be all for reading more about it. Sounded informative.

Hak was basically saying that Gwozdecky has been successful at sending his playing out to draw coincidental penalties at the end of games to get the 4on4 to open up the ice a bit, then pull the goalie to get a power play effectively with the 5 skaters on 4...

I think he was reffering to the rule that coincidental penalties turn into 4X4's. He was calling that rule the Gwozdecky rule because he has used it effectively in the past.

A caller asked about how a matching penalty somestimes goes to a 4 on 4 and sometimes stays at 5 on 5. There was a very long explanation to that, but Hak called it the "Gwozdecky rule". Sorry, I cant explain it. :angry: He did say that Gwoz takes advantage of drawing penalties at the end of the game, because of this.

Rule 4-2-e.

When penalties are not in effect and not visible on the clock and one

minor penalty is assessed to one player of each team at the same stoppage

of play, these penalties shall be served without substitution.

When penalties are not in effect and not visible on the clock and one minor

penalty is assessed to one player of each team, with an additional penalty

or penalties (minor or major) assessed at the same stoppage of play, immediate

substitutions on ice shall be made for an equal number of coincidental

minor penalties (penalties assessed during the same stoppage of play) to each team so penalized.

Alright, a couple of things here. "Without substitution" in the first sentence means that the teams skate 4 on 4; that is, the penalized players are not substituted for.

In the second sentence, notice that there are additional penalties, and all of the coincidentals "cancel" in terms of how they affect the number of skaters on the ice. The only penalties that go up on the board (and are served without substitution) are those extra minutes for one side or the other.

Hope this helps.

Sioux18

Another caller wanted to know if Hak was in favor of a tie game, going to a 4 on 4 OT, and then to a shootout if needed. Hak likes that idea, but it changes the whole scenario of the playoff picture. Gave an example of last year with the Oilers. Without their shootout wins, they would not have made it into the playoff run.

First off, thanks Siouxmama for the recap.

Lastly, why did Hak have to go to last year? They could go to this year! The Minnesota Wild are darn near unbeatable in the shootout and, up until recently, basically lived and died by it. Take away the shootout and the Wild are out of the playoffs at least up until recently. The way they are playing right now.... no way they'd miss the playoffs. #1 defense, great PK...

Hak was basically saying that Gwozdecky has been successful at sending his playing out to draw coincidental penalties at the end of games to get the 4on4 to open up the ice a bit, then pull the goalie to get a power play effectively with the 5 skaters on 4...

I think he was reffering to the rule that coincidental penalties turn into 4X4's. He was calling that rule the Gwozdecky rule because he has used it effectively in the past.

i saw du do this in their last game vs cc i believe, 1 minute left and he sends a goon to muck it up so both teams get a man of then it opens it up a bit when you pull your goalie...