SiouxSports.com Forum

Less than two weeks away

SiouxFan4Life

WIth spring ball less than 2 weeks or maybe a few days more away, I hope other sioux fans are getting as excited as I am. UND has one more day of testing, but I heard that things have been going well, and we should be looking at a very successful season. I heard that Adam Wolfe who has been moved to DE, ran a sub 4.7 40 which is impressive for 275 pounds. Hoffshneider didnt run i believe due to some injury, nor did mahmoud due to track, alkins injury . I heard travis Luek ran a 4.5 something as did Jamaal Franklin, Dan Grossman, Tony Hermes, and Zach Babington-Johnson. If my sources are correct Adam Stratton ran a .... 4.40!! That is excellent. The sioux should be faster on both sides of the ball. I am eager to see how things go, and i believe their first practice is in the Alerus on a Saturday . The 28 or 29 or something. I wonder if the public can attend. I believe it starts at noon or something. Well this would be the time to hear who you think will start at what position, and other hot gossip to spice things up . I will try and do my part.

Thanks for the post. I too am pretty excited about spring football and the prospects for the Sioux rebounding back to contending for the NCC title next year.

That's great news about Wolf. I had no idea that he was now that big, or that he has that kind of speed. The defensive line should be pretty solid with Brennan, Momerak, Smith, Newhouse, Muro, Wolf, Peterson, etc. The pass rush definitely needs to be better than it was last season, and I hope that Babington-Johnson's speed will help there also, similar to what Eric Schmidt's speed did at the OLB position.

The defensive backfield should be as fast and as deep as it's been in a while. Hoffschneider is a stud from what I've heard, Stratton and Gagner are as good a pair of safeties as anyone will have in the NCC, and hopefully between Manke, Brandsted, Franklin, Charles, etc. there will be quality depth as well.

Lueck will add a whole other dimension to the offense. You don't find many guys with his combination of height (6'4"), speed (4.5) and leaping abililty (36"-plus vertical) very often. Ahlers and Stattelman are good possession receivers and Alkins and Grossman have excellent speed.

Mahmoud is a proven commodity at running back and Beatty and hopefully Jim Miller will make that a deep position.

The o-line mostly returns intact with an added year of experience and I'm hoping they will be one of the team's strengths.

I will be very interested to see what happens at quarterback, as well. Obviously Bowenkamp has the inside track, but Groeschl may push him with a strong performance this spring.

UND 92, 96 -- Thanks for the insight and observations. Do you know how the guys who were injured last year are coming along? Is everyone back in school for the 2nd semester?

Keep the info coming!

I did hear awhile back that Shad Carney left, probably due to a lack of playing time and the fact that he was unlikely to play much, if at all, this season. It's unfortunate that he didn't pan out, but the good news was that his departure did open up some pretty substantial scholarship money. Fortunately, between Bowenkamp, Groeschl, Manke, etc., there are still plenty of quality quarterbacks around.

On departures, Shad Carney, Brian Lowe, Ross Brennan, Ross Walker, Demetrius Charles have all left the team for diffrent reasons, yet the sioux will still be ok. I too am interested in who will start at quarterback. Greoschel is definately respected coming in, yet he will have to do a lot to get the starting nodd. You also have to look at the leadership side, and Freshman have a tough time running the squad. Yet hopefully like the national championship year defense will lead, and that would lessen the load if he did get the starting nod at quarterback. Dont forget about David Wistoff as a running back utility guy, and I wouldnt be surprised if we see some position changes with certain guys after this spring. I think our strength will be LB's sateties, and running backs as far as depth. Yet no position will be slacking. I applaud coach lennon for once again putting things in place to make another run. I wouldnt mind winning a national championship one year, and then having a down year, if that was the repetative cycle, we just cant wait another 105 years.

On departures, Shad Carney, Brian Lowe, Ross Brennan, Ross Walker, Demetrius Charles have all left the team for diffrent reasons

That's very disappointing to hear about Brennan. He had the ability to be a great player. I wonder if one of the defensive ends will now move to noseguard? I assume Muro may now be the starter, with possibly Shane Duchscher and freshman Kruger in the mix also. Momerak is probably big enough to move over if necessary.

The UNC game looks a little suspicious.

Yeah, that's the defunct carryover from the NCC conference scheduling (done 4 years at a time). Just like NDSU and SDSU already have a full schedule of 2004 games against NCC opponents, many of which will be dropped.

• 3 weeks later...
On departures, Shad Carney, Brian Lowe, Ross Brennan, Ross Walker, Demetrius Charles have all left the team for diffrent reasons, yet the sioux will still be ok.

It looks like Ross Brennan may not be done after all. There was a blurb in the Forum today saying that he was sitting out spring ball for personal reasons, but it didn't say he had left the team permanently. Hopefully he'll be back in the fall. Also, Carney transferred to Scottsdale Community College.