SiouxSports.com Forum

How about some Sioux trivia!

FightingSioux98

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This fan favorite had a memorable last shift. Last home game as a senior, Gino puts him out for one last shift. All the action is on one end, he immediately heads the other way, does a half lap, gets up some speed and heads back into the play. The first guy that gets in his sights from the other team is laid out...never knew what hit him...Our mystery man heads immediately to the friendly confines of the sin bin to a rousing ovation. Anyone?

I think it had something to do with his on-ice performance, but I wouldn't swear to it.

There wasn't much wrong with his game as a Freshman (I remember best the 6 assist game), and it was a few games which would be overkill for a person with talent. (You bench him one game and see if he learned anything).

This fan favorite had a memorable last shift. Last home game as a senior, Gino puts him out for one last shift. All the action is on one end, he immediately heads the other way, does a half lap, gets up some speed and heads back into the play. The first guy that gets in his sights from the other team is laid out...never knew what hit him...Our mystery man heads immediately to the friendly confines of the sin bin to a rousing ovation. Anyone?

Sounds like Jim Archibald.

Who was the starting goalie for the Sioux when they played against the Gofers in the 1979 title game? not too hard....

Bill Stankoven (spelling is way off) Massive 'Fro though.

Or was it Bob Iwabuchi. I think that Stankoven played them and beat them at Williams Arena the last weekend of the regular season.

Who was the starting goalie for the Sioux when they played against the Gofers in the 1979 title game? not too hard....

Iwabuchi

Well, either Whistler or I are right on this one. Probably Whistler. I was only 2 when this game was played. :)

Bill Stankoven (spelling is way off) Massive 'Fro though.

Ok....nice job...now the hard part of the question....Why? Gino had Iwabuchi sitting on the bench while Stankoven gave up 3 first peiod goals...Iwabuchi was one of the top goalies in the WCHA that year as a frosh...Gino did the same thing in the 1982 title game benching Jon Casey for Darren Jensen. WTF?

Ok....nice job...now the hard part of the question....Why? Gino had Iwabuchi sitting on the bench while Stankoven gave up 3 first peiod goals...Iwabuchi was one of the top goalies in the WCHA that year as a frosh...Gino did the same thing in the 1982 title game benching Jon Casey for Darren Jensen. WTF?

Iwabuchi was stoned.

Both were seniors?

Like I said before I think Stankoven had a real nice game to win the WCHA at Williams arena. During that game I do remember saying he wanted the experience in the net.

I would imagine that would be the same thing in the 1982 game, which turned out a bit better. Jenson had the experience.

I beleive Jensen was a senior and mighty Casey was a soph...well maybe Gino thought his veterans would play better in the big game...he was right in 1982, Jensen was on!!

thanks for the info guys...sorry, it's tough to keep up with dial-up....

I beleive Jensen was a senior and mighty Casey was a soph...well maybe Gino thought his veterans would play better in the big game...he was right in 1982, Jensen was on!!

I was going to say that I think that Casey played until 84 or maybe 85. Most likely 84. This is more of my time.

St. Cloud Huskies beat the Sioux in the F5 a couple years ago (2001?), but it had a controversial ending with Andy Kohler getting nudged out of the net in overtime just as a shot came in from the point.

That game featured another great Sioux comeback....Anyone remember the name of the St. Cloud player who panicked and put the puck into his own net? He was behind his own net and tried a breakout pass a little too close to the net and banked it in off the goalie.

That's what the fight on Sioux book says too. He must have gotten beat out by Darren Jenson so he didn't play that much. (Something like Aaron Schweitzer).

This was worth it because the book has a picture of Bill Stankoven and the 'fro.

Looking further in the book there's a picture of Iwabuchi in the 79-80 saying he was a "key member of the team that year."

Whistler - exactly. As it relates to 1979, Stankoven played a terrific game at Williams Arena on the final night of the season to give the Sioux their first WCHA title in over a decade. It was glorious. So while Iwabuchi had been hot for most of the season, Stankoven had played well vs. MN.

thanks Farce...I've never seen the '79 Final, but it was a hell of a season for the Sioux after an extended dry spell...

There wasn't much wrong with his game as a Freshman (I remember best the 6 assist game), and it was a few games which would be overkill for a person with talent. (You bench him one game and see if he learned anything).

I went back and checked my notes. I can't find anything specifically about Hrkac being benched, but Gasparini did say that Tony was a raw talent as a freshman and somewhat immature. Steve Johnson mentioned that Tony would drive the coaches nuts because he often appeared to be out of position, but would end up making a good play. Gasparini said that when Hrkac returned to UND after a year with the Canadian national development team, he noticed a difference:

thanks Farce...I've never seen the '79 Final, but it was a hell of a season for the Sioux after an extended dry spell...

I only saw it once, in person. :) It was a blur. Lot of great stories from that weekend.

One of the great things about the trip to Detroit was spending a couple games at The Olympia; I was sure Gordie Howe and the Production Line were gonna come out and smash us around the concourse. Of course, the atmosphere wasn't the same as for a Red Wings game - 6k vs. 16K+.