SiouxSports.com Forum

Brian Lee

riders06

Brian Lee was supposed to have a huge offensive side. He has been a liability on the defensive, not necessarily a pylon, but not doing the things a defensive player needs to do. I think Lee has been snakebitten this year. When things go wrong for him, they really go wrong. Hopefully he can turn it around next year, because I sure don't see the pros wanting to move him up unless they feel they can do a better job developing him in the minors. I am not a Lee hater, just very disappointed in his play this year. He is definitely in a sophomore slump.

Chorney, on the other hand, is a far more complete d-man defensively and is showing a very strong offensive side. That is especially true for a sophomore. He looks far more comfortable than Lee out there and is outplaying him hands down. Gophers brag up Goligoski a lot, but Chorney is just as offensive this year and is solid on defense.

Offensively, Chay Genoway has a huge upside. He is showing flashes of brilliance. He is not overtly strong on the defensive side and not a big hitter, but he has not shown the timidness of Lee either. In a couple of years he could be an outstanding defenseman, on both sides of the puck.

If only some of the area's sports reporters could take a key. Looking towards Fargo pointing at the Forum. Thats beautiful.

Actually, Pylon has been a word I used to descirbe Goli and Hagemo a few years back. Goli has gotten better but I don't think Lee is even in the same zip code as Goli.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When things go wrong for him, they really go wrong. Hopefully he can turn it around next year, because I sure don't see the pros wanting to move him up unless they feel they can do a better job developing him in the minors.

I do agree with the first part of your post. If Lee makes a mistake early it seems like the rest of the game is down hill. As for going to the pros, I'm sure he will see an offer after this season is over. I assume he will have to spend some time in the minors, but the way the fans have been on him this year it might not be a bad time for him to make a change. I hope he doesn't see it that way and comes back for a third year.

That is right, the point has been made about his high draft status. With that, comes much expectation from Lee. It just comes with the territory of being a high-end draft pick, having that much talent. Lee is a solid player with room to improve. I really don't think any of us here at SiouxSports hate Lee, that is a strong word. We just expect more from a player with such talent and draft status. In my opinion, Lee has been good...but Taylor Chorney is the defensive MVP this season. He is in the top four on the team in scoring, only behind the DOT line of Duncan, Oshie & Toews. He has also been one of the team's best defensive players this year, so in my opinion Chorney has performed much better then Lee. It is not to say that Lee is a horrible or hated player, he has been solid...just not as good as his expectations up to date.

That's correct with the rules stating that you can be drafted a 2nd time, but after that, you're no longer eligible to re-enter the draft.

Absolutely, but despite the written rules can you name a North American skater who was recently drafted after being overlooked as an eligible 18 year old. The reality is that the draft concentrates on finding a bargain on 18 year olds, you get your one look, and after that free agency is your only hope.

Something like this OHHHH CRRRRAAAPPP. Of course this is a family show so we will substitute crap for another word.

If you've seen it once, you've seen it a million times. There were 4 others going at it virtually at the same time, and Lee didn't do squat (which is fine...if he doesn't want to fight, I'm not saying that he has to). However, when did he decide to get tough? When the others were done and the refs were making their way over to his area. Now that the refs were there, he knew it wasn't going to turn into a "fight"...just a punch or 2 with helmets and gloves on. If you watch the end of the fight, the MSU kid was going nuts and wanted at Lee...Lee wanted to be as far away from that kid as possible. I'll bet he had to change his underwear as soon as he hit the locker room!

If you've seen it once, you've seen it a million times. There were 4 others going at it virtually at the same time, and Lee didn't do squat (which is fine...if he doesn't want to fight, I'm not saying that he has to). However, when did he decide to get tough? When the others were done and the refs were making their way over to his area. Now that the refs were there, he knew it wasn't going to turn into a "fight"...just a punch or 2 with helmets and gloves on. If you watch the end of the fight, the MSU kid was going nuts and wanted at Lee...Lee wanted to be as far away from that kid as possible. I'll bet he had to change his underwear as soon as he hit the locker room!

um, the gloves and helmets came off. I agree that he didn't want to fight but he did fight him.

If you've seen it once, you've seen it a million times. There were 4 others going at it virtually at the same time, and Lee didn't do squat (which is fine...if he doesn't want to fight, I'm not saying that he has to). However, when did he decide to get tough?

Yep thats right he doesn't have to fight to be tough, look at Matt Greene, he never fought in college but he sure has in the NHL.

Yep thats right he doesn't have to fight to be tough, look at Matt Greene, he never fought in college but he sure has in the NHL.

matt greene compared to lee, sorry goon, i know what your point is but totally different players as you know. lee is a soft offensive defensemen, greene was a straight azz kicker and just restrained in college due to suspensions following fights.

matt greene compared to lee, sorry goon, i know what your point is but totally different players as you know. lee is a soft offensive defensemen, greene was a straight azz kicker and just restrained in college due to suspensions following fights.

I was trying to remain possitive. I just am hoping Lee will come around and pick it up. I am hoping he can play a little tougher also.

um, the gloves and helmets came off. I agree that he didn't want to fight but he did fight him.

You're right, the gloves and helmets came off, but Lee didn't "fight" him. The only punches thrown were right away when they had helmets and gloves on. Once the refs stepped in the yard sale began, but there were exactly 0 punches thrown after that. In fact, the MSU kid was trying to get at Lee, but at this point Lee was doing all he could to get away from him. Again, I'm not saying Lee has to fight...that's not his game. However, don't jaw with the guy and then start throwing sissy punches at the guy's helmet, and then when a real "hockey fight" starts you try to get away from the guy!

However, don't jaw with the guy and then start throwing sissy punches at the guy's helmet, and then when a real "hockey fight" starts you try to get away from the guy!

Did you read Hakstol's comments from Wednesday's Fighting Sioux Coaches' Show? He didn't want any of his players to fight. He said that having Lee and Fabian out of Saturday's game hurt UND more than the three players MSU lost. He was glad that Kaip didn't fight and he wished that Lee and Fabian hadn't fought, either.

So you might consider the possibility that by not throwing any punches after the gloves and helmet came off, Lee was following Hakstol's instructions and trying to avoid getting a game DQ, which is what Hakstol would have preferred.

Did you read Hakstol's comments from Wednesday's Fighting Sioux Coaches' Show? He didn't want any of his players to fight. He said that having Lee and Fabian out of Saturday's game hurt UND more than the three players MSU lost. He was glad that Kaip didn't fight and he wished that Lee and Fabian hadn't fought, either.

So you might consider the possibility that by not throwing any punches after the gloves and helmet came off, Lee was following Hakstol's instructions and trying to avoid getting a game DQ, which is what Hakstol would have preferred.

You throw a punch with or without the gloves on and look at what happened.....he got kicked out for Saturday's game. If he was going to follow Hakstol's instructions, why throw any punches at all?

You throw a punch with or without the gloves on and look at what happened.....he got kicked out for Saturday's game. If he was going to follow Hakstol's instructions, why throw any punches at all?

Because I think most players believe that they won't get tossed unless they throw punches after the gloves come off.

So can we consider this a lesson learned for Mr. Lee? Something along the lines of "know your role". :D

I'd say it should be a lesson for the entire team: don't get sucked into a meaningless fight after the game has already been decided.

Because I think most players believe that they won't get tossed unless they throw punches after the gloves come off.

And that is usually the case, especially the after whistle punches with the gloves on that many players do all the time (I won't name names).

I might question the wisdom of having Jones, Radke or Kaip on the ice in that situation. With just over a minute left to play we said to each other that since it's Mankato no way to do we get to the end of the game without some extra-curricular activity. I wondered if it was wise to have Jones and Kaip on the ice, especially Jones as he has a bit of a hair trigger. I'm not laying blame here, but I wonder if a different defensive pairing on the ice might have been a better idea.

I might question the wisdom of having Jones, Radke or Kaip on the ice in that situation. With just over a minute left to play we said to each other that since it's Mankato no way to do we get to the end of the game without some extra-curricular activity. I wondered if it was wise to have Jones and Kaip on the ice, especially Jones as he has a bit of a hair trigger. I'm not laying blame here, but I wonder if a different defensive pairing on the ice might have been a better idea.

Twas' Jones who took the first shot at Bruess that started the whole melee.