SiouxSports.com Forum

Chris Porter

UNDintheNHL

Porter's future role  

105 members have voted

1. 1. What will his role be in the future?

• 1st Line NHL Forward
    • 2nd Line NHL Forward
    • 3rd Line NHL Forward
    • 4th Line NHL Forward
    • Up and Downer NHL-AHL
    • Career AHLer
    • other

Ok, I may be starting this discussion a little too early, but i was in a conversation with a goalie buddy of mine today about people going to the Blackhawks and Porter's name came up. I guess im curious as to what you all think he will do in the future? He is obivously not the MOST productive forward on the team, but he definitely has some potential, and we know he is a good leader. Personally, i think he will be an up-and-downer for a while, then end up as a career AHLer. I think he has the qualities to keep him in a role like Curtis Murphy. And that is not at ALL to say he has a lack of talent. Some players are just better suited at slightly lower levels of play and to have a leadership role in a slightly lower level of play as opposed to just another player at a higher level is more than some could ask for......so....whats everyone else's opinions?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wish he'd just play with the sioux forever! :) I think he won't make the NHL, or if he does it would be a temporary thing...I hope I'm wrong but, I guess time will tell. He'll be making some o.k. money with whatever he does I think. Enough to get by anyways :lol:

Sort of like a panzer...but who is more aggresive

I spoke to a Blackhawks scout earlier this winter and he said they are very impressed with Chris' presence on the ice, and the leadership qualities he's shown this year. Don't be surprised to see him in the NHL for more than a visit.

Thats really good to hear. It would be great to see him out there on a regular basis. Don't get me wrong, i wasnt saying i dont want him playing at the NHL level, i was merely stating that i personally dont believe it will be a career-long thing, but that the AHL will be instead. Hopefully, he proves me wrong. GO CHRIS!!

Thats really good to hear. It would be great to see him out there on a regular basis. Don't get me wrong, i wasnt saying i dont want him playing at the NHL level, i was merely stating that i personally dont believe it will be a career-long thing, but that the AHL will be instead. Hopefully, he proves me wrong. GO CHRIS!!

Well, he'd always have the swimsuit modeling gig to fall back on. :):lol:

Porter couldn't hold Jeff Panzer's jock strap.....no comparison.... :)

For a minute there I thought this reply was directed at Siouxmama's post...

Well, he'd always have the swimsuit modeling gig to fall back on.

But I didn't really want to go there. :lol:

IIRC Chris really turned some heads at the team's mini camp last fall.

Yes he did which is why I believe he'll get a shot with the big club. I'm not convinced that he'll stay at that level, but I do think he will get a good opportunity to find a place on the team.

So, HockeyMom and RWD have a love triangle with Chris Porter? What's Sioux-cia's role in this debacle?

Are we sure we are talking about astronauts or just plain space cadets? :)

Hey now! I'm very happily married. :lol: It's the Sioux-cia Porter RWtD love triangle.

how can someone compare panzer to Chris Porter. Take a look at their numbers in the years they were both here:

Porter

Panzer

In one year Panzer will have more points than chris did in his whole career. Chris doesnt get much accomplished on the ice. He may be a better than average skater, but he lacks puck skills. He has a tough time catching a pass and only got 3 assists one year. From my seat all I can see is he skates up the ice doing a hundred crossovers and shoots it wide and circles aroud the ice for the rest of the shift without stopping. I will give him credit he does manage to win the iron man every year, but so did ryan sofie, it doesnt translate over to the ice that well.

how can someone compare panzer to Chris Porter. Take a look at their numbers in the years they were both here:

Porter

Panzer

In one year Panzer will have more points than chris did in his whole career. Chris doesnt get much accomplished on the ice. He may be a better than average skater, but he lacks puck skills. He has a tough time catching a pass and only got 3 assists one year. From my seat all I can see is he skates up the ice doing a hundred crossovers and shoots it wide and circles aroud the ice for the rest of the shift without stopping. I will give him credit he does manage to win the iron man every year, but so did ryan sofie, it doesnt translate over to the ice that well.

Where is your seat? Your Car? Bathroom? Closet?...All joking and sarcasm aside, I feel he does a lot more than you give him credit for. For one, Leadership can't be put into numbers. Second, I wish he scored more often myself, but he has a knack to score at important or crucial times. He reminds me of a Peter Armbrust from 1997-2001.(Think Armbrust's game-winner in OT against the Gophs at the Final Five in 1997-98) Hell, he plays on a line with Kyle Radke, Eric Fabian, and/or Andrew Kozek. That seems to be as much of a non-scoring line as we have right now. They just play physical. And that's ok with me too.

My one complaint of Chris Porter is that he takes penalties at unbelieveably bad times in games. And him being one of our top penalty killers doesn't help the situation. Whether he takes one away from the play or in a tight game, he just has a tendency this year to do that. Maybe it's bad positioning. Maybe it's a hockey mistake. Maybe it's bad luck because I don't remember him being a huge penalty-taker his first 3 years. But this year, all his penalties seem to come at the worst times.

Where is your seat? Your Car? Bathroom? Closet?...All joking and sarcasm aside, I feel he does a lot more than you give him credit for. For one, Leadership can't be put into numbers. Second, I wish he scored more often myself, but he has a knack to score at important or crucial times. He reminds me of a Peter Armbrust from 1997-2001.(Think Armbrust's game-winner in OT against the Gophs at the Final Five in 1997-98) Hell, he plays on a line with Kyle Radke, Eric Fabian, and/or Andrew Kozek. That seems to be as much of a non-scoring line as we have right now. They just play physical. And that's ok with me too.

My one complaint of Chris Porter is that he takes penalties at unbelieveably bad times in games. And him being one of our top penalty killers doesn't help the situation. Whether he takes one away from the play or in a tight game, he just has a tendency this year to do that. Maybe it's bad positioning. Maybe it's a hockey mistake. Maybe it's bad luck because I don't remember him being a huge penalty-taker his first 3 years. But this year, all his penalties seem to come at the worst times.

Well said.

I don't recall what was said about Porter coming into UND, but I don't recall him being called a "Playmaker" or a "Pure goal scorer" like Panzer or Duncan or Oshie or Toews. His Leadership has been stellar and he's still producing at an alright rate, even though he hit a mammoth slump in the middle of the season.

He's never been outside of the top 10 on the team in scoring, even with his role of being a checking forward.

I like what Porter brings to the team and so far, he's been utilized the way that he should be... as a checking line forward with scoring upside that can serve as the on ice and off ice leader of the team.

I really hope to see Porter with an opportunity after college hockey. I sure hope he is able to make it as an undrafted free agent, but I expect he will probably bounce up and down between the AHL and NHL. In the AHL, he'll be more of a standout player...in the NHL, more as a fourth-liner or sparingly-used player.