SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA declining scoring trend

PCM

Brad Schlossman has a very interesting article in today's Grand Forks Herald about the declining scoring trend in the WCHA. There are many interesting comments from current and former coaches, as well as WCHA commissioner Bruce McLeod.

Where did the goals go?

In all levels of hockey, including college, scoring goals is becoming more difficult. The Western Collegiate Hockey Association has seen scoring plummet in the last 20 years.

This season, scoring has been harder than ever.

Entering the weekend, the league is seeing an average of 5.39 goals per game, an all-time low. It's an astonishing difference from the 9.16 goals per game average that was held when UND coach Dave Hakstol played in 1989-90.

It's been a gradual fall, beginning in the early 1990s.

The article covers the officiating aspect, but there's more to it than that. It's a good read.

It didn't surprise me at all that McLeod had this to say:

- Calling obstruction penalties tighter. This would allow skilled players more freedom. Minnesota coach Don Lucia said he's advocated this for a long time, but McLeod isn't sure this would make a huge impact.

The reason the WCHA doesn't want to call the games that way is the disparity in talent teams like UMN and UND would run away and hide with the league title every season and other teams. (This isn't my whole theory, I got this from talking to a buddy) I think this is the reason they don't call the games as tight. UND's power play is like 5th in the nation right now if they got 13-14 power plays a game the dot line would burry people oh, yeah they are. That's my point.

After my conversation with Sheppard at the airport back in 2005 he basically said the league coaches would complain if they called the NHL, sounded at the time the coaches dictate how the game is called. Last night in Denver the refs called a lot of penalties almost 20 per game. It almost reminded me of what happens if you trip obstruct and call the game the way its supposed to be called. I am sure sheppard will slap this guy back into line this week after reviewing the tape of the game.

Don't think there's anything really new in the article that I haven't heard elsewhere. Everyone is looking how to make hockey a higher scoring sporting event. I've heard the NHL is tossing around the idea of making the goals bigger, since the goalies pads are so much better. I think Brad did a good job at listing all the various things that have come into play that has changed this game. I like the idea of no line changes on icings, but don't really like the idea of no icing on penalty kills. Give the guys a break, they're already killing a penalty. I also think that the game needs to be called tighter in regards to the obstruction penalties. It's what's limiting the fans from seeing the best players show their skills. Less talented teams always find a way to cheat with out being called for it, and I personally think that's what McLeod is looking out for here. A way to make sure the less talented teams stay in games and make it a more competitive league. However, if we're looking at how best to prepare the boys to play hockey in the NHL now, we're not doing it. Smaller players are excelling in the NHL a lot more now because of the freedom to skate and not be tied up by a stick or body every single shift.

I also think that the game needs to be called tighter in regards to the obstruction penalties. It's what's limiting the fans from seeing the best players show their skills. Less talented teams always find a way to cheat with out being called for it, and I personally think that's what McLeod is looking out for here. A way to make sure the less talented teams stay in games and make it a more competitive league. However, if we're looking at how best to prepare the boys to play hockey in the NHL now, we're not doing it. Smaller players are excelling in the NHL a lot more now because of the freedom to skate and not be tied up by a stick or body every single shift.

I agree. Completely.

Funny thing is all of us agree but the league won't do it. Its political.

Where is RW_77 when we need him. Lets get the Fire Sheppard thread going again.

I have a feeling coaches like Sandy and Jutting wouldn't agree. I could hear it now, "Why don't you just feed us to the lions!? Step on our heads when we're drowing!" - favorite line from "Wedding Crashers" ???

I have a feeling coaches like Sandy and Jutting wouldn't agree. I could hear it now, "Why don't you just feed us to the lions!? Step on our heads when we're drowing!" - favorite line from "Wedding Crashers" ???

That is what I am thinking too. I think it would be more like Jutting, Sandy, Russell, Shyiak would not like this.

I think another factor is the addition of Olympic size rinks. Much easier to to slow down a game, the 2004 NCAA tourney game against Denver is a perfect example. Even skill teams like Minnesota score a high percentage of their goals on the powerplay, which is greatly enhanced on the big sheet. If you went back to more NHL size rinks I believe scoring would go up.

Take away the center line and go back to using the blue line for icing? How many years ago was that rule changed? That'll do a lot to cut out the trap, but the D could still play back far enough to win the race to the puck.

Still....That's less stops in play which has to be a good thing.

Aside from that the options would be 1) better enforcement of current rules (have we heard that before?) 2) A larger net 4-6 inches would make a big difference and/or 3) limitations on the size of goalie equipment.

Since we're tampering with the rules, let's institute a different point system akin to the NHL system along with the shootout.

The rules I'd most like to see enforced are "keep your hand on your stick and the stick on the ice" rather than having them on another player.

I think another factor is the addition of Olympic size rinks. Much easier to to slow down a game, the 2004 NCAA tourney game against Denver is a perfect example. Even skill teams like Minnesota score a high percentage of their goals on the powerplay, which is greatly enhanced on the big sheet. If you went back to more NHL size rinks I believe scoring would go up.

I hate those god awful rinks. Yuck. I am not sure how people think that speeds up the game.

2) A larger net 4-6 inches would make a big difference and/or 3) limitations on the size of goalie equipment.

I think that making the nets larger is a bad idea. I do think the Goalies equipment is way too and they shoud cut at least another inch off of the leg pads. Go back and look at the size of the goalie as opposed to how big they are now. I saw a picture of Belfour over at the Subway next on gateway and he looks a heck smaller than say Peter Manino whos pads look way too big even compared to his team mate Glen Fisher. My God.

I think that making the nets larger is a bad idea. I do think the Goalies equipment is way too and they shoud cut at least another inch off of the leg pads. Go back and look at the size of the goalie as opposed to how big they are now. I saw a picture of Belfour over at the Subway next on gateway and he looks a heck smaller than say Peter Manino whos pads look way too big even compared to his team mate Glen Fisher. My God.

I agree. Where does it stop? If goalie equipment gets bigger, why respond by making goals bigger? Reduce the goalie pad size, and call the obstruction.

It doesn't surprise me at all. I think McLeod knows that his officiating crew isn't very good but he's unwilling to make changes because that would tell everyone who has been criticizing him and Greg Shepherd that the criticism was warranted. McLeod and Shepherd are too prideful and power hungry to really be able to be man enough to make needed changes.

Give him all the grief you want, but if obstruction was called, both UND and Minnesota would benefit immensely and MSUM and UW would not.

I agree. Where does it stop? If goalie equipment gets bigger, why respond by making goals bigger? Reduce the goalie pad size, and call the obstruction.

Its official Dagies and I are now running the league. Thats all it would take.

It doesn't surprise me at all. I think McLeod knows that his officiating crew isn't very good but he's unwilling to make changes because that would tell everyone who has been criticizing him and Greg Shepherd that the criticism was warranted. McLeod and Shepherd are too prideful and power hungry to really be able to be man enough to make needed changes.

Give him all the grief you want, but if obstruction was called, both UND and Minnesota would benefit immensely and MSUM and UW would not.

Redwing_77 that was what I was waiting to hear. So basically the reason the refing is that way would appear to be political.

I would agree with that.

That will never happen. That net is absolutely immense. When the net is so freaking huge that I could score on Martin Brodeur, it's probably shouldn't be used.

Yeah, but I'm thinking that Phil's vertical leap would come in handy with a goal that size. :D

2005-04-01-sabres-nets-in.jpg

This here is/was the proposed size of the net they were looking at for the NHL, I believe.

Imagine giving this to Duncan to shoot at? :D

You're looking to far into the past. They debated that size during the lockout. The feeling is now they'll just reduce the size of the pipe itself by a 1/2 inch. So really the net won't look any different, just thinner pipes.

Take a look at the goalies glove hand nowadays. On the wrist of the glove hand they have what's called a cheater. Essentially it's a blocker that extends above the wrist on the glove hand. Plus the glove itself could swallow a basketball.