SiouxSports.com Forum

How important is this weekends series to you

Fetch

I think the loss of Hirsch is really starting to take effect, especially on the power play. Plus every team is going to go on a slump somewhat, I think thats what we have seen lately. Plus (I don't believe this but others do apparently) the players that came back for the WJ's are still adjusting....like I said, I think this is kind of a lame excuse. Plus some injuries lately have depleted the line-up a bit. This weekend will be tough once again with the loss of Gordon, and with Kauffman being out and Pohl being out the line-up is going to be scarce again, much like the Gophers vs. Kato game. I think late in the game if the GOphers are leading you are going to see a lot of dumping the puck and short shifts.

Where it sounds like a lame excuse, I do think it's valid. Very few teams have played the kind of hockey that Minnesota was playing before the Xmas break, throughout the entire season. Last team to do that which comes to mind is Michigan in '96-'97. The WJ's can wear down players for a fair amount of time after the tournament is over. I think it helps that some of the Gopher players weren't playing in their first WJ's, but freshman who have never played the tournament, can have a difficult time with their game following the tournament. Doesn't happen to every player, but it does clearly effect some. I think it affected Parise in his freshman year for a while. And Hirsch being gone from the team has to hurt the offense somewhat. He was no slouch by any means when he was playing to his fullest potential. A lot of things come into play over the course of the season, and I actually think Minnesota has responded well over the past 2 weeks with everything coming into play. They definitely weren't playing soft teams. Wisconsin's not as strong as past year, but it's a huge rival for both team, so that comes into play too.

As for this weekend, I'm just hoping the Sioux take 2 points out of Mariucci. Where they are playing stronger as of late, I still don't like how quickly Lammy goes down in net. The goofs would be wise to shoot high on him all night long both nights, and I won't be surprised if they do. Sioux defense is going to have to play stellar hockey this weekend, and the forwards are going to play hard both ways as well. Go Sioux!!!

One more question - How come I can't pronounce alot of the new better players names for the Goofs - Did the Red Army all immigrate to Minny since the break up of the USSR ? ? ? :lol:

Darn those pesky names like Briggs, Howe, and Flynn. Can't forget about Anderson & Johnson--residents of the upper-Midwest have a very very difficult time with those names. And obviously Vannelli, Goligoski, and Okposo are names that synonomous with Russian heritage. ;)

The Refs are Jon Campion,Tony Lancette and Brad Shepherd

The key is wether Sheppard is sitting in the press box.

Does anyone know if Todd Anderson is reffing this weekend or is he suspended for his crappy effort last week.

I would love for him to be over in Wisconsin this weekend calling all of his made up calls.

And Daddy "Shep" up in the press box with his arms crossed watching their every move. Hope he gets dizzy and falls over the press box! :lol:

Don't forget the note book taking notes with a scowl on your face. ;)

I met that guy before he very cocky and pompus. I am sure that Redwing_77 would agree with that assessment.

Don't forget the note book taking notes with a scowl on your face. ;)

I met that guy before he very cocky and pompus. I am sure that Redwing_77 would agree with that assessment.

Never met Greg Shepherd, but somehow, I don't doubt he's arrogant and big of himself. I mean, he's one of the only guys to watch a moment that would normally call for him to "throw down from above," fall short of the opportunity, and get promoted despite the inadequacy of his response.

Just once, I'd like to see Greg grow some balls and simply say "Well, you biffed this game up. Maybe you'll be better next week. I know you were scheduled to officiate tommorrow but I just don't see that happening." And I'd love to see Greg fire Don Adam.

It's been a long time, but I still think the best WCHA official is Mike Schmitt and well, he's retired. I took him for his word when he told me he wanted to be there to watch his kids play hockey, but now... I kinda think that he knew that the officiating corps was heading down the crapper and got out before his name was dragged through the mud.

EDIT: How important is this weekend to me?

Well, on one hand whether the Sioux sweep or get swept life will go on... I don't know. I'm hoping we have a good weekend and, regardless of the results, the games are well played on both ends and safe.