SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX @ BEAVERS

AZSIOUX

Hakstol's comments:

We knew it would be a good game from the start. Better game than last year. Maybe not as hardnosed, but better played.

Moved the puck very well in the first period. They're very aggressive in all zones. It can creat opportunities when beating the pressure.

They came out with a huge flurry at the start of the third. We weathered it after giving up a goal. Fabian's goal was an ugly one, but it looked pretty from where we were.

Both goalies played very well tonight. Phil might have won us a game tonight, but it was a real good goaltending battle tonight.

First goal was great power play play. Great pass, great shot. Second one, two or three guys could have got it, but somehow it even got through Phil.

We hurt ourselves in the second period with three penalties in a row. We can't take those penalties. It really drained our energy left when we got back to 5 on 5.

Had to juggle when Kozek went off early in the first. We had some guys who backed off in the second.

It was a very, very good win for our team. I liked our composure in the last minute a half. We did a great job of keeping the puck down in their zone and not letting the goalie get off the ice. That shows a little bit of growth.

Thanks PCM!! Great job, as always!

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that, in theory, UND should be pounding a lot of teams. That is mostly the strength of the program talking.

However, BSU has a strong winning record against WCHA teams this year. They have as good a team as they have ever had. A road win against them at the Woodshed @ BSU is one I'll gladly take, even if it is only by 1 goal.

I agree, but let's be real. Here is BSU's record vs the WCHA:

0-2 vs Mich Tech (Mich Tech is 5-9-2 in WCHA)

2-0 vs Mankato St (Mankato St is 5-10-3 in WCHA)

1-1 vs CC (CC is 10-6-0 in WCHA)

2-0 vs Duluth (Duluth is 5-12-2 in WCHA)

So the only 'real' team they've beaten is CC. The Sioux should have pounded BSU tonight.

So the only 'real' team they've beaten is CC. The Sioux should have pounded BSU tonight.

It doesn't matter if we won by one goal or 10. All that matters is how it helps the Sioux in the PairWise. At the end of the season, nobody's going to remember how much we won by at Bemidji. Getting the W is all that matters.

It doesn't matter if we won by one goal or 10. All that matters is how it helps the Sioux in the PairWise. At the end of the season, nobody's going to remember how much we won by at Bemidji. Getting the W is all that matters.

I agree...and I may be wrong here, but what is a 1 goal win over BSU going to do for the Sioux? BSU lost to Maine 7-1 and 6-3. They lost 6-2 and tied 2-2 with Niagara. They lost to Robert Morris??? and tied Niagara twice more. Yeah, they may have beaten some WCHA teams, but look at the records of who they beat (besides 1 win over CC).

I agree...and I may be wrong here, but what is a 1 goal win over BSU going to do for the Sioux.

The margin of the win means nothing. All that matters is that it's a win, which is a heck of a lot better than a tie or a loss. We'll see after tomorrow night how much it helps the Sioux in the PairWise. It's certainly not going to hurt, and that's important, too.

Also, as Hakstol mentioned on the coaches' show this week, the Sioux have a very good nonconference record. It's important to keep that up, too. It could make a big difference in making the NCAAs in post-season play.

The margin of the win means nothing. All that matters is that it's a win, which is a heck of a lot better than a tie or a loss. We'll see after tomorrow night how much it helps the Sioux in the PairWise. It's certainly not going to hurt, and that's important, too.

Also, as Hakstol mentioned on the coaches' show this week, the Sioux have a very good nonconference record. It's important to keep that up, too. It could make a big difference in making the NCAAs in post-season play.

Yup. Margin of victory means something at the WJC, but means nothing save bragging rights in the WCHA.

I'll take the W.

Right now, we need a W more than we need a 10 goal win margin.

EDIT to prevent double post: Any update on Kozek? WHen TH said "Kozek went off early..." I assumed he got a Checking from Behind penalty. This is much worse. :angry: Kozek was really being a force physically on the ice.

Scrolling back through the thread it was nice to see Lee and Finley doing nice things. (Though I'm sure the two BSU goals are somehow their fault).

So......a one goal win at another team's rink...a team who's coach stated this was their biggest game of the year to date....what does this mean for the mental state of the Sioux coming into Saturday's game...will they be fired up?...or is there a let down? Over-confident? ... (I don't see that...) personally, I think it was a damn good win, especially after giving upthe 2 goal lead....I think this is going to be typical of the games this team wins the rest of the year.....good enough to beat good teams (like the gophers) ? we shall see. (I sure as hell hope so!!!!!!) I have never been a gopher fan (55 years old) but I'll always admit when they have a good team, which they do this year. ( As they did last year, till the regionals in GF.) I'm rambling...It's been a long night.

Kudos to Lamoureux for his recent play. Since the holidays he has been very good.

Without continued good goaltending the Sioux have no chance of getting this turned around and make the playoffs this year.

The next stage of this turnaround has to involve an increase in offensive production. Without this there is little chance of going very far this year.

Last year the team was 21-1 when scoring 4 or more goals, only loss was to BC. In the first 32 games they only scored 4 or more goals 11 times (11-0 record); they were 7-13-1 in the other 21 games. In their last 14 games they scored 4 or more goals 11 times (10-1 record), in the other 3 games they went 1-2. It's pretty hard to get a good streak going if you continually score 3 or fewer goals per game.

This year they are 8-0 when scoring 4 or more goals and 4-11-2 when they don't.

It is almost imperative that the Oshie, Duncan, Toews line get 1-2 goals per game. If they get shutout I don't see how they get 4 or more goals.

Porter, Watkins, Miller line need to get on the board, along with either the 3rd or 4th lines chipping in. If VandeVelde, Zajac, Forney continue to put up zeros it will put added pressure on everyone else. This is the line that could make or break the season, they need to start scoring at least once a weekend. They seem to show flashes of what could be, but we are 25 games into the season and VandeVelde and Forney are still looking for their first goals. Tomorrow is as good a time as any to snap this and get their first.