SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA Grad Rates

Smoggy

It seems that only UND and UAA have not met the NCAA's APR. Sounds like two years in a row for UND.

Grad article from Strib

North Dakota (918) and Alaska Anchorage (914) are the only two WCHA schools with multi-year APRs that do not meet the NCAA standard. But neither school is subject to penalty due to a squad-size adjustment, which the NCAA applies to account for the smaller sample sizes of some teams. North Dakota and Anchorage are expected to take the steps necessary to raise their score.

Obviously players leaving for the pros early really hurt our rates. There is another article in the Strib on WCHA departures.

doesnt look like we will as your quoted text already says that

we rarley have many seniors anyways

If a player gets a shot at the pros and finishes up school in summer school that doesn't count as a successful graduation. I think that's the way they count graduations.

It looks like if the player leaves the program acedemically eligible there are no consequences for the team. When guys like Hunter Bishop leave mid-semester (unless he finished his classes) I think that hurts your score, but all the guys who finish finals and leave in the summer don't hurt the score too badly. Truthfully I think they are trying to get football programs to start educating their players, and they will never get around to enforcing it upon hockey teams.

doesnt look like we will as your quoted text already says that

we rarley have many seniors anyways

This year, but what about in future years? Consider that we lost five guys early last year and have a dang good chance of losing a few more this year.

It looks like if the player leaves the program acedemically eligible there are no consequences for the team. When guys like Hunter Bishop leave mid-semester (unless he finished his classes) I think that hurts your score, but all the guys who finish finals and leave in the summer don't hurt the score too badly. Truthfully I think they are trying to get football programs to start educating their players, and they will never get around to enforcing it upon hockey teams.

I'm fairly confident that Bishop finished his classes. Since he wants to come back to college hockey, it was pretty important that he did.

If hockey programs end up falling too low, they will get punished. Baseball seemed to be the sport that was the hardest hit last year.

My understanding, though, is that you get bonus points when a player graduates. I think you are right about the football stuff.

Sagard is right, that only academically ineligible players who leave will lose you scholarships. So let's say you are a moron and can't hack it academically and are a member of the Square Root Club*, so you go to the USHL/Maj Juniors/a van down by the river. THEN your school is in trouble.

*The Square Root Club is for people whose GPAs are smaller than the square root of their GPAs. For example, if your GPA is 0.75, the square root of it would be .866.

I would love to talk to a UND football player that is on scholorship and not going to class, I mean I can understand if your Greg Oden or someone who knows that they aren't going to stay in school. But ditchin class when your playing D2 football or BBall is a joke. I mean seriously when was the last time a D2 Football player that wasn't named Jim Kliensasser was drafted on the first day?