SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Valley Does It Again

Sioux-cia

they are the Kings of D2 right now...that game could have gone either way but NW screwed themselves by coughing up 4 turnovers (3 in the Laker red zone! :( )

Fun game to watch...great crowd and for all of you who've been to Florence in the last 5 years...IT WAS SUNNY and 70 Degrees!!! ;) (not 40 and rainy like we've had :silly: )

GREAT!! Now the monster can afford those GOLD-PLATED neckbolts he's been wanting for years...as long as we don't have to call him "BLING-STEIN" I guess that's alright...Merry Christmas Buddy!! :silly:

they are the Kings of D2 right now...that game could have gone either way but NW screwed themselves by coughing up 4 turnovers (3 in the Laker red zone! :( )

Fun game to watch...great crowd and for all of you who've been to Florence in the last 5 years...IT WAS SUNNY and 70 Degrees!!! ;) (not 40 and rainy like we've had :silly: )

GREAT!! Now the monster can afford those GOLD-PLATED neckbolts he's been wanting for years...as long as we don't have to call him "BLING-STEIN" I guess that's alright...Merry Christmas Buddy!! :silly:

I met that guy in the parking lot before the game. He is huge. He has some sort of thick metal wire holding the bolts to his neck. It looked like the wire that is used to make Christmas wreaths. He also has extra pockets in his jacket and they were all filled with beers. Reminded me of a guy named Wes Hanson who used to wear a Racoon Coat to the hockey games in the old barn (the unheated quonset, not the old Ralph) and had multiple pockets sewn inside the coat to hold the beers he used to chase the Mad Dog 20-20 wine he drank.

If 10-2 and an NCC championship is your idea of "wanna-be" football, then the next tenfive years of Sioux football are going to be very miserable for you. :silly:

That is apples and oranges and you know it. The move up to Division I will involve a probationary period and I have no problem with that. It will take at least that long to build a contender at the next level. Once we get up and running, we'll have no problem contending for championships in Division I. The win over Northern Iowa proves we'll be competitive sooner than some think.

Winning 10 games, a share of the conference and going to the quarterfinals are nice; don't get me wrong. But a program's legacy is built on National Championships, not on conference titles or winning a bunch of games. And we aren't doing that. The expectations for football at this school are much higher than they were 10 years ago. And I like that, even though right now we aren't living up to them.

Next year is our last chance before moving up. As usual, we'll be contenders.

I'm glad you're happy about it SiouxMeNow. I'm not. :(

I am sick of being the Wanna-Be/Runner-Up program. :silly:

The only thing I'm happy about is the team that beat us won it all. Says we were pretty close and I was congratulating a respected rival and a chat buddy - WHO I might add, has been nothing but a positive contributor to this board! So he deserves some props...I don't feel any need to back away from that.

As to your second comment...being a national contender every year is a GOOD thing! We're there every year and that's a blast! Sure its disappointing when the season ends early but how many other NCC schools have had the postseason play we've had in the last dozen years?? ANSWER: NONE!

I met that guy in the parking lot before the game. He is huge. He has some sort of thick metal wire holding the bolts to his neck. It looked like the wire that is used to make Christmas wreaths. He also has extra pockets in his jacket and they were all filled with beers. Reminded me of a guy named Wes Hanson who used to wear a Racoon Coat to the hockey games in the old barn (the unheated quonset, not the old Ralph) and had multiple pockets sewn inside the coat to hold the beers he used to chase the Mad Dog 20-20 wine he drank.

:silly::silly: wow THAT is a blast from the past! I never met Wes but heard a couple stories....only the best :(

The only thing I'm happy about is the team that beat us won it all. Says we were pretty close and I was congratulating a respected rival and a chat buddy.

As to your second comment...being a national contender every year is a GOOD thing! We're there every year and that's a blast! Sure its disappointing when the season ends early but how many other NCC schools have had the postseason play we've had in the last dozen years?? ANSWER: NONE!

I respect your opinion and I admire your attitude, but I guess I don't agree with you on this. I mean no disrespect or emnity towards anyone (we aren't talking about NDSU or Omaha), but I just can't cheer for another team to win it all. I always want our teams to be the best and that hasn't happened very often over the past 5 years in several sports. It is very frustrating to get so close and then having to settle for second place or worse. It took us years to get the football program to the point of contending nationally year in and year out; and now we are taking a back-seat to someone else. It's a very bitter pill to swallow. :silly: I guess I am too passionate for my own good.

You might disagree, but I don't think this situation would be tolerated as much if it was Men's Hockey involved instead of Football. I look forward to the day when football defeats are mourned as much as hockey defeats. I think the move to Division I will help make that a reality.

I respect your opinion and I admire your attitude, but I guess I don't agree with you on this. I mean no disrespect or emnity towards anyone (we aren't talking about NDSU or Omaha), but I just can't cheer for another team to win it all. I always want our teams to be the best and that hasn't happened very often over the past 5 years in several sports. It is very frustrating to get so close and then having to settle for second place or worse. It took us years to get the football program to the point of contending nationally year in and year out; and now we are taking a back-seat to someone else. It's a very bitter pill to swallow. :silly: I guess I am too passionate for my own good.

You might disagree, but I don't think this situation would be tolerated as much if it was Men's Hockey involved instead of Football. I look forward to the day when football defeats are mourned as much as hockey defeats. I think the move to Division I will help make that a reality.

So the current threads in the Hockey forum make you happy? WIN or you're NOTHING? :silly: I'm a Sioux fan regardless if they win or lose...I've been to almost EVERY big Sioux game (in every sport) since the early '90's I can tell you, from personal experience, the defeats SUCK and the wins are like the best drug you've ever tried!! ;) But I'm willing to throw the dice anytime the green and white take the field/rink/court...and I can deal with how they roll out. It's ALWAYS a gamble! :(

So the current threads in the Hockey forum make you happy? WIN or you're NOTHING? :silly: I'm a Sioux fan regardless if they win or lose...I've been to almost EVERY big Sioux game (in every sport) since the early '90's I can tell you, from personal experience, the defeats SUCK and the wins are like the best drug you've ever tried!! ;) But I'm willing to throw the dice anytime the green and white take the field/rink/court...and I can deal with how they roll out. It's ALWAYS a gamble! :(

No, I don't like the negativity on the Hockey forum. But I like the fact that our fans are passionate about hockey and they hate losing with a passion. You can still be a supporter and hate losing. I support ALL of our teams. I will never give up my football season tickets in the Alerus Center; I look forward to football season. And I think we have some of the best student-athletes in college sports. But like I said above, a program's legacy is built on National Championships, not Conference Titles or winning a lot of games every season. And we haven't been doing that. You are correct, it is always a gamble. You'll win some and you'll lose some. I just wish we'd win more championship gold. :silly:

UND should have won the national championship in 2005. I firmly believe they had the best team in the country that year (yes, better than Grand Valley) but the Omaha loss ruined everything. I don't think it was Dale's best coaching job, but injuries and some bad luck played a role also.

This year UND overachieved in my opinion. If someone would have told fans at the beginning of the year that the team would go 11-2 with two games at Omaha, at GVSU, and at UNI, I think most people would have taken it. The Sioux could easily have lost four or five games this year but it's a credit to the coaching staff and the players that they were resilient and found ways to win. I believe UND had the third best team in the country which isn't bad considering some of the talent that was lost from 2005.