SiouxSports.com Forum

TV for Omaha looks slim

KEH

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweeney said no TV. NCAA didn't reply to their bid soon enough. Said they have already bid on next weeks game and plan to air that one. I hope the Sioux win this weekend, otherwise will DAZ broadcast UNO vs. GVSU/USD? ???:silly:

actually he did not say they bid on next weeks game, he said if UND wins at uno, daz would bid on next weeks game

Link

The NCAA gave WDAZ-TV a verbal approval, but due to the Thanksgiving holiday and a shortened work week, there was not sufficient time for WDAZ-TV to make production arrangements, according to WDAZ General Manager Bob Kerr.

In other words, they are being lazy.

The NCAA has notified WDAZ-TV that they have been given approval to broadcast the playoff game on Dec. 2 if UND wins this weekend and advances to the next round.

They did already bid on next week's game.

In other words, they are being lazy.

I'm going to be lazy Friday and not cover the UND-CC hockey game for USCHO. I've decided to be selfish and spend Thanksgiving with my aged parents in South Dakota. I hope you will find it in your heart to forgive me.

Hey, maybe since I have to get on the road early tomorrow, I'll be lazy and not write a recap of Hakstol's segment on the Fighting Sioux Coaches' Show. Would that be okay with you?

i've said it before, i'll say it again. putting these broadcasts together takes A LOT of work by A LOT of people. there are things more important that watching a sioux football game. i'm not happy it's not being aired, but i also am realistic about people wanting to spend time with their families instead of working their asses off.

That would be just fine with me PCM. There is a difference between an online article for an early regular season hockey game and TV coverage of what, in theory (not likely), could be the last post-season game our football team plays for the next 6+ years. This game is worthy of being on TV. Perhaps since it is a Holiday this week, we should e-mail Clear Channel and tell them to give Hammer, Stein, and Macnamara the weekend off as well. Afterall, it is only a football game. Give your folks all the best and enjoy your Thanksgiving. At least you'll be able to watch the hockey games in Pierre.

That would be just fine with me PCM. There is a difference between an online article for an early regular season hockey game and TV coverage of what, in theory (not likely), could be the last post-season game our football team plays for the next 6+ years. This game is worthy of being on TV.

I never said it wasn't worthy of being on TV. I fully agree with that. What I don't agree with is your characterization that it wasn't being televised out of laziness. On what basis are you making that statement?

I'm going to be lazy Friday and not cover the UND-CC hockey game for USCHO. I've decided to be selfish and spend Thanksgiving with my aged parents in South Dakota. I hope you will find it in your heart to forgive me.

Hey, maybe since I have to get on the road early tomorrow, I'll be lazy and not write a recap of Hakstol's segment on the Fighting Sioux Coaches' Show. Would that be okay with you?

Hey Pat that's o.k. enjoy the holday with your parents. As a matter of fact enjoy your parents while there still alive & well. Hey it's ok with me personilty if you don't write a recap of Hakstol's segment on the Fightings Sioux Coaches. So go out & enjoy the holiday & Happy Thanksgiving from the GATORNATION.

GO GATORS MUNCH ON THEM NOLES.

On what basis are you making that statement?

On the basis that their reason for not televising is "due to a shortened work week".

I apologize if I offended you PCM. I'd compare my passion for Sioux Football to that of yours for Sioux Hockey and if a Sioux hockey playoff game fell on a holiday weekend and was not televised, I'm sure many more would be very upset. But, like I said, it's only football.

On the basis that their reason for not televising is "due to a shortened work week".

So you really have no basis at all. That's what I thought.

I'm sure there are thousands of Sioux football fans who are disappointed that the game won't be televised. But to claim it's due to laziness because of one vague statement is really unfair to WDAZ which has, over the years, televised many games that Sioux fans didn't expect to be televised.

As southpaw said, I suspect that you have no clue what it takes to organize and produce a road game.

The "Thanksgiving and family are more important than a football game" excuse given by some on this board is hogwash. WDAZ submitted a bid to air the game and would have aired the game had the NCAA replied sooner. Therefore, that argument is irrelevant. Let's not confuse the issues.

The relevant issues are : 1) why it took so long for the NCAA to grant permission (did WDAZ submit the proposal later than usual or was not diligent in following-up, or was the NCAA at fault?), and 2) given when WDAZ got the notice (which isn't clear from the release) whether there was enough time to put together a road broadcast. On those issues, I have no idea.

The "Thanksgiving and family are more important than a football game" excuse given by some on this board is hogwash. WDAZ submitted a bid to air the game and would have aired the game had the NCAA replied sooner. Therefore, that argument is irrelevant. Let's not confuse the issues.

The relevant issues are : 1) why it took so long for the NCAA to grant permission (did WDAZ submit the proposal later than usual or was not diligent in following-up, or was the NCAA at fault?), and 2) given when WDAZ gothe notice (which isn't clear from the release) whether there was enough time to put together a road broadcast given the short notice by the NCAA. On those issues, I have no idea.

i'm not saying the thanksgiving and family are the reason why they weren't planning on doing the game. i'm saying that with the late notice, it becomes a lot harder because of thanksgiving and family. were this not a holiday weekend, i think they would be able to get the broadcast on, even with such short notice. however, because a decent amount of the production crew will be celebrating the holiday, it is much harder.

i'm not saying the thanksgiving and family are the reason why they weren't planning on doing the game. i'm saying that with the late notice, it becomes a lot harder because of thanksgiving and family. were this not a holiday weekend, i think they would be able to get the broadcast on, even with such short notice. however, because a decent amount of the production crew will be celebrating the holiday, it is much harder.

Fair enough. I'm sure WDAZ had good intentions. But from an outsider's perspective, you have to admit this looks pretty "small time". It's kind of embarassing.

The relevant issues are : 1) why it took so long for the NCAA to grant permission (did WDAZ submit the proposal later than usual or was not diligent in following-up, or was the NCAA at fault?), and 2) given when WDAZ got the notice (which isn't clear from the release) whether there was enough time to put together a road broadcast. On those issues, I have no idea.

Relevant issue #3: If WDAZ had the foresight to put in a bid on a possible Dec. 2 game two weeks in advance, why did they not do the same for a possible game on Nov. 25? :silly:

Fair enough. I'm sure WDAZ had good intentions. But from an outsider's perspective, you have to admit this looks pretty "small time". It's kind of embarassing.

Very "small time"

This is bad, no doubt. I don't care whose fault it is either. We've on this weekend many times in the last 5-6 years and have always had it televised. People are working at the hockey series this weekend so the holiday line is bull.

We pull for this team all year and now, nothing. I don't care if the NCAA did try and stiff us a little, DAZ fumbled the ball with the short work week line. They had people to work the bball doubleheader Tuesday. That was a complete waste of time.

Color me, not happy. :silly:???;);)

I am not happy either. :silly:

I fired off an email and got this reply:

WDAZ submitted a bid to the NCAA for the UND-Omaha football playoff

game. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, the NCAA did not give us the

rights in a timely manner to make the necessary arrangements

I don't buy any excuses. This game should be on TV; state wide TV for that matter.

???

Edit: The UNI game should have been on TV, also. ;)

i'm not quite sure people realize the capabilities of wdaz and their staff. they are a small time station, no question about it. they don't have an unlimited budget, they don't have a huge staff of people to choose from to help out with games. they are in the bottom half of a tv market that is in the bottom half of all tv markets. they have done an amazing job all things considered with fssn and the other productions. don't expect fsn type stuff from them, because wdaz is nowhere near that good. they've done a great job and many times people expect them to do things that sometimes just aren't feasible for such a small station.

i'm not quite sure people realize the capabilities of wdaz and their staff. they are a small time station, no question about it. they don't have an unlimited budget, they don't have a huge staff of people to choose from to help out with games. they are in the bottom half of a tv market that is in the bottom half of all tv markets. they have done an amazing job all things considered with fssn and the other productions. don't expect fsn type stuff from them, because wdaz is nowhere near that good. they've done a great job and many times people expect them to do things that sometimes just are feasible for such a small station.

Good points.

But I still don't see a 100% effort from them to get the game on TV. I see NDSU bias. :silly: 2 of their games on state wide broadcast TV and 0 Sioux games. Their Montana game on, no UNI game. Now no playoff game.

how many times has wdaz/fssn come through in the clutch when we want to see playoff games? they have provided sioux fans with the opportunity to see a ton of games. they have worked incredibly hard everytime to bring the games to the fans. why would it be any different this time? why, after years of bending backwards to get things done, do you think they suddenly would just "give up." pat is very dedicated to sioux sports, including sioux football. if he doesn't think it is possible to air the games on this short notice, it's not because he didn't put in every effort possible.

i'm saying there are a lot of things that need to happen in order to make the "vacation" possible. you need a decent amount of people who know what they're doing to put together a broadcast, especially on the road. it's not a "grab stuff and go" type thing. there is a lot of planning that goes into putting the games together. it's not as simple as just hooking up a couple mics and a camera.

That's odd, most of the WDAZ sports broadcasts that I see look like they were grab n go type productions. It's not like WDAZ has 15 different camera angles like on Monday Night Football.

That's odd, most of the WDAZ sports broadcasts that I see look like they were grab n go type productions. It's not like WDAZ has 15 different camera angles like on Monday Night Football.

that has more to do with what wdaz has to work with. nothing against grand forks, or those working at wdaz, but there is generally a reason they are working in grand forks. either they are new and learning the ropes of the process or they are lifers that maybe don't have the talent to move forward. (there also are those who are very good at their jobs and live in grand forks because they love it). when you get a mix of people like that, it's tough to put on a super professional broadcast.

the equipment wdaz has to use is a completely different issue.

I am not happy either. :silly:

I fired off an email and got this reply:

I don't buy any excuses. This game should be on TV; state wide TV for that matter.

???

Edit: The UNI game should have been on TV, also. ;)

Yeah, I guess I can see how three days notice isn't enough notice when it takes all of 8 hours to drive to Omaha. Some local stations televise city bowling tournaments of all things and WDAZ is too cheap to pick up a playoff football game.

that has more to do with what wdaz has to work with. nothing against grand forks, or those working at wdaz, but there is generally a reason they are working in grand forks. either they are new and learning the ropes of the process or they are lifers that maybe don't have the talent to move forward. (there also are those who are very good at their jobs and live in grand forks because they love it). when you get a mix of people like that, it's tough to put on a super professional broadcast.

the equipment wdaz has to use is a completely different issue.

Good point.