SiouxSports.com Forum

TV for Omaha looks slim

KEH

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there any other TV station that covers UND?

You're finally starting to get it.

WDAZ's parent is currently in bed with NDSU. That makes the relationship inherently unstable. Either get WDAY & company to join WDAZ, or get another partner (KVLY ?) for the REA/MidContinent/FSSN partnership. Why have a partner (WDAZ) who's parent (Forum Communications) has vested interests opposing UND?

The sad fact is I'd be willing to bet there would be more of an outrage if this was UND hockey.

'DAZ has the people and equipment to make it happen and they're in town. "OTHER" Fargo stations that have been interested in Sioux Athletics have been thwarted at every turn BECAUSE of the "local" connection (by UND athletics - not wanting to burn a "local" bridge) You live by the sword, you die by the sword....perhaps the ultimate blame lies at the feet of UND athletics?*?

(* - PRE-Buning era)

As far as an outsider's perspective, I'll give you my take. It does not seem small time to me. In fact, I would love for UNO to have a sports network. There are 4 TV stations in Omaha plus the PBS station in Lincoln and none of them are televising the game either with 2 weeks notice. That appears small time to me. Perhaps the GF station thought they could get a feed even if they didn't get the bid.

We all just got done celebrating Thanksgiving and counting all the many blessings we have. Just to be born in this country makes you better off than 90% of the people in this country. I'd just ask you all to stop and think about how fortunate you are to have an issue like this to be your main concern today.

The sad fact is I'd be willing to bet there would be more of an outrage if this was UND hockey.

If this were hockey they're would be articles in the Herald about this and Buning would be holding press conferences for damage control.

'DAZ has the people and equipment to make it happen and they're in town. "OTHER" Fargo stations that have been interested in Sioux Athletics have been thwarted at every turn BECAUSE of the "local" connection (by UND athletics - not wanting to burn a "local" bridge) You live by the sword, you die by the sword....perhaps the ultimate blame lies at the feet of UND athletics?*?

(* - PRE-Buning era)

Earlier this week, someone that works for one of WDAZ's competitors told me that in the past they have been interested and put in bids to get the TV rights for UND athletics. On a couple of occaisons they did in fact outbid DAZ, but were still turned down.

While DAZ dropped the ball (they should have probably just "planned" on doing the broadcast - it's easier to drop the planning if they don't get permission than to start it up late) I think the bigger issue here is the NC$$ with the late approval.

The NC$$ are a bunch of gutless wonders. They don't have the guts to just deny the broadcast outright, but they are going to make it as difficult as possible.

The NC$$ is bound and determined to jerk UND around for having the audacity to challenge them on their absurd ruling on the nickname. First the seeding of the football team in the #3 position and now delaying their approval for the TV broadcast.

We all better get used to the fact that the NC$$ is very vindictive and this won't be the last time they "play" with us. :D;)

The NC$$ is bound and determined to jerk UND around for having the audacity to challenge them on their absurd ruling on the nickname. First the seeding of the football team in the #3 position and now delaying their approval for the TV broadcast.

If the national committee had not overruled the Northwest region committe on selection day, this game today would be in Grand Forks, and on TV.