SiouxSports.com Forum

TV for Omaha looks slim

KEH

Watching the basketball games tonight I was hoping for some kind of announcement from Mr. Sweeny regarding this weekend's playoff match up but it was never brought up they were only pluging the CC hockey series....Which I am assuming that Pat will call those games.... So whose left to do FB? Does anyone have the inside scoop?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought about this last night while watching the bouncey ball games

IF they televise it, who would do the hockey game Saturday? Sweeney could do the Friday game, then boogie down to Omaha with the rest of the production crew to do the FB game, but he couldnt get back in time for Saturday's game.

What they should do (IMO) is broadcast the game but do like Anchorage & Fairbanks and some other teams do. Just use the radio broadcast as the audio track. Sure it isn't Sweeney doing the game. But I wouldn't mind the radio guys as the audio. Heck last year when the Sioux were in Duluth for hockey the FSSN had Friday's hockey game, then they went back to GF to do the football game and just used the Duluth broadcast with their announcers for Saturday's game.

dont quote me on it, but rumor has it the ncaa denied wdaz/wday's request to broadcast the game.

HUH? The NCAA doesn't have anything to do with this. The local team can have a broadcast crew. These games aren't on CSTV, ESPNU. The rights are held locally.

If WDAZ doesn't do everything within their power to get this on tv, it's going to be a huge public relations black eye for them. I know KVLY attempted to get the UC-Davis game back in 2001. I don't know whether they'd ever be willing to travel to Omaha, but I suspect there's a chance if DAZ drops the ball.

If WDAZ doesn't do everything within their power to get this on tv, it's going to be a huge public relations black eye for them. I know KVLY attempted to get the UC-Davis game back in 2001. I don't know whether they'd ever be willing to travel to Omaha, but I suspect there's a chance if DAZ drops the ball.

I agree, this game needs to be on TV.

I thought about this last night while watching the bouncey ball games

IF they televise it, who would do the hockey game Saturday? Sweeney could do the Friday game, then boogie down to Omaha with the rest of the production crew to do the FB game, but he couldnt get back in time for Saturday's game.

What they should do (IMO) is broadcast the game but do like Anchorage & Fairbanks and some other teams do. Just use the radio broadcast as the audio track. Sure it isn't Sweeney doing the game. But I wouldn't mind the radio guys as the audio. Heck last year when the Sioux were in Duluth for hockey the FSSN had Friday's hockey game, then they went back to GF to do the football game and just used the Duluth broadcast with their announcers for Saturday's game.

I know in the past when UND football made the playoffs I believe it was in 2004, that Sweeney went on the road to do an afternoon playoff game, and John Bernstrom did play-by-play the same night for hockey. I'd assume this part wouldn't be a problem, they'd probably have Degelder do the hockey, or maybe even have Bernstrom fill in (he does home hockey radio now), or perhaps even Tim O'Keefe who often does the high school state hockey tournament. I think it is just a matter of working something out with UNO, perhaps they want it on TV in Nebraska too. In 2004 for the game at Pitt St., it was a joint broadcast between WDAZ and a local Kansas station, with both Sweeney and Pitt St's local guy doing the broadcasting. IIRC I think last years game in Grand Valley also had Sweeney doing play-by-play with a local GVSU guy doing sideline reporting. When it comes to small college football these small affiliates seem to have a pretty good track record of working together, so it might take time to work things out. A couple years ago, I think Michigan Tech, they didn't announce that there would be TV until the Thursday or maybe even Friday before the game.

EMAIL WDAZ AND LET THEM KNOW HOW IMPORTANT THIS IS!!

Pat Sweeney: psweeney@wdaz.com

James Degelder: jdegelder@wdaz.com

If they should drop the ball on this, which would be very disappointing, any other station can pick up UND events if WDAZ elects not to. Let them know it is important.

KVLY

Scott Peters: scottp@kvlytv11.com

KX4

Rich Lodewyk: richl@kx4.com

EMAIL WDAZ AND LET THEM KNOW HOW IMPORTANT THIS IS!!

Pat Sweeney: psweeney@wdaz.com

James Degelder: jdegelder@wdaz.com

If they should drop the ball on this, which would be very disappointing, any other station can pick up UND events if WDAZ elects not to. Let them know it is important.

KVLY

Scott Peters: scottp@kvlytv11.com

KX4

Rich Lodewyk: richl@kx4.com

kvly/kx4 won't be airing the game either. it takes more than just a couple days to throw a crew together to do a game, especially when it's in omaha. it doesn't help that it's a holiday weekend and a majority of the main production guys are going to be on vacation.

kvly/kx4 won't be airing the game either. it takes more than just a couple days to throw a crew together to do a game, especially when it's in omaha. it doesn't help that it's a holiday weekend and a majority of the main production guys are going to be on vacation.

Can you think of a better vacation destination than Omaha, Nebraska? ???:silly:

So has anybody heard of what WDAZ's excuse is? I guarantee that if it was NDSU in the playoffs, whether dII or I-AA, WDAY/Forum Communications would have it on. :silly:

To the extent it's possible to find a new station to partner with for the FSSN, I think it's time to explore that possibility.

So has anybody heard of what WDAZ's excuse is? I guarantee that if it was NDSU in the playoffs, whether dII or I-AA, WDAY/Forum Communications would have it on. :silly:

To the extent it's possible to find a new station to partner with for the FSSN, I think it's time to explore that possibility.

If UND can stipulate in their radio contracts that "all home women's hockey games must be aired", I'd think they could stipulate in a televesion contract that " all road post-season football games must be aired". I'd gladly trade regular season home games for playoff road games. Although I guess we won't have to worry about that for at least 5 years or so after we move DI. All the more reason for this weekend's game to be on TV.

wdaz is the only station that employs a full time staff in grand forks. a majority of those who run fssn are wdaz employees and are easily able to make it all the games. while some people who work for stations in fargo do drive up and work during the games, most of them actually work for the ralph and not for fssn.

while it may be a good idea in theory to have a better station run fssn, i don't think people realize the amount of work that goes into airing these games. it's not an easy production and takes a decent amount of planning.