SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux vs. CC

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah

I'm excited for this weekend, I have great seats for both games. Great people to go to the games with......

Now, if we could only skip the holiday and get on with the games.

I'm having a hard time keeping on task at work- it's like when I was a little kid and we were getting out of school for a break.

I have paperwork that needs to get done, and I ain't doing it!

Paperwork before Thanksgiving sucks especially considering the Sioux play on Friday. Worse yet, it is 60 degrees out and I was just asked to go golfing and had to say no as I have to get some paperwork done as well. Nice to know others are stuck in the same boat with me

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paperwork before Thanksgiving sucks especially considering the Sioux play on Friday. Worse yet, it is 60 degrees out and I was just asked to go golfing and had to say no as I have to get some paperwork done as well. Nice to know others are stuck in the same boat with me

I may finish this paperwork, and take a nap. Somedays, being my own boss is a good thing.

Now, if we could only skip the holiday and get on with the games.

Skip Turkey day! Is all that running going to your head.

This is the best holiday of the year. A day of gorging, napping, getting up for more food. I can't wait to eat!

Then I as well get to have a fun time at the CC games. If someone rolls me into the arena.

First off, could we save the term "skippy" for non-fans who come on here with the serious intent of not being respectful? For example, State of Hockey has rarely come onto this board and posted anything respectful (unless you wish to point out the respect he's posted here towards the Gophers). Nor has posters like TC_Transplant (though he's been alright as of late). I don't agree with hockey1 on this and I agree with Sprig, Goon, Chris, Bruce Ciskie (the last two on different message boards/blogs). This was NOT a goal. Elliott was physically unable to make any attempt at a save because he was pushed in a direction the opposite of where the puck was going. And this is not just a Minnesota tactic. I've seen this done exactly three times, two of them last weekend. Friday UND vs UAA this happened to UND and the goal counted. The UW/UMN one was another. The first one I saw was actually in the winter olympics. I want to say it was in Nagano at the time? Anyways, it was Canada vs US. Yzerman made a shot from just center blue-line-ward of the faceoff circles on Mike Richter while a Canadian player ran into Richter and basically pulled Richter the opposite way of the shot. The goal counted and I turned off the game. I knew then and there the US lost and the officiating played at least a minor role in it. Now, the UND/UAA one played no role in the outcome of the game, IMO, but if it did, I'm POSITIVE it would be seen as just another case of the "Halos" up in arms. :silly:

That being said, I'd like to think of the whole Minnesota conspiracy as not a conspiracy at all, but rather a fallacy provided by the officials' incapacity as quality on-ice officials. Let's face it, it happens all over the place. I like to say it is because of the gross incompetance displayed by nearly every official from the ARs up to Greg Shepherd. If they had competant leadership (at the very least) with real and strict accountability standards all the while following to the letter the intent of the front office (in this case the NCAA), I don't think we'd see as much crap as we usually see.

That being said, I'd like to think of the whole Minnesota conspiracy as not a conspiracy at all, but rather a fallacy provided by the officials' incapacity as quality on-ice officials. Let's face it, it happens all over the place. I like to say it is because of the gross incompetance displayed by nearly every official from the ARs up to Greg Shepherd. If they had competant leadership (at the very least) with real and strict accountability standards all the while following to the letter the intent of the front office (in this case the NCAA), I don't think we'd see as much crap as we usually see.

That fine I respect your opinion. I beg others to imagine if Lucia's Gopher team was ranked number one in penatlies taken in the WCHA. What? Probably would happen. We would probably be refering to GPL as gopher whines.com? Seriously? I am not making a joke. It will never happen as long as Sheppard is incharge of the WCHA. The Gopher coach in essence got an AR fired for making a correct call. Redwing is right, the officals are incompetent and it starts with the their boss. Imagine if UofMN had been the victim of that goal that beat Wisconsin, the official probably would have been given the week off or fired. The only thing I can think of is that Lucia has dirt on Sheppard?

That fine I respect your opinion. I beg others to imagine if Lucia's Gopher team was ranked number one in penatlies taken in the WCHA. What? Probably would happen. We would probably be refering to GPL as gopher whines.com? Seriously? I am not making a joke. It will never happen as long as Sheppard is incharge of the WCHA. The Gopher coach in essence got an AR fired for making a correct call. Redwing is right, the officals are incompetent and it starts with the their boss. Imagine if UofMN had been the victim of that goal that beat Wisconsin, the official probably would have been given the week off or fired. The only thing I can think of is that Lucia has dirt on Sheppard?

Um... the week off sounds too severe if that scenario would come true. A broken neck only equates to 1 month suspension so a bad call may only be a "Don't do it again" or a single game suspension... if that's available.

Snip---------

Goon,

In your reply you just admitted that Carmen was tapped in the back while going to the net. I don't know if you have even played hockey before but if you are going full speed

towards the net and you get "tapped" from behind and you are a couple feet from the net it is nearly impossible to stop or veer away because you are so close to the net. As for being reviewed, you are right it should have been, but Hunt (Official) would have seen that Carmen WAS cross checked (tapped) from behind resulting in him hitting Elliott.

From Western College hockey (This pretty much sums it ups what I saw too): My feeling after watching the play if that even if Carman is pushed a little bit, he certainly doesn't try to avoid Elliott, and after he makes contact with Elliott, he turns his shoulders towards Elliott and tries to make a play of the puck. He obviously comes no where near the puck, and instead ends up taking Elliott out of the play. The other thing is that if Carman is pushed, at some point after the Wisconsin defender makes contact with him, Carman should speed up as he gains momentum from the push, and I don't really think that ever happens. Really, if the Wisconsin defender keeps his hands down, it's probably an easy call to make.

Um... the week off sounds too severe if that scenario would come true. A broken neck only equates to 1 month suspension so a bad call may only be a "Don't do it again" or a single game suspension... if that's available.

I think you and I agree on the competency of the officials in this league. :silly:

First off, could we save the term "skippy" for non-fans who come on here with the serious intent of not being respectful? For example, State of Hockey has rarely come onto this board and posted anything respectful (unless you wish to point out the respect he's posted here towards the Gophers). Nor has posters like TC_Transplant (though he's been alright as of late). I don't agree with hockey1 on this and I agree with Sprig, Goon, Chris, Bruce Ciskie (the last two on different message boards/blogs). This was NOT a goal. Elliott was physically unable to make any attempt at a save because he was pushed in a direction the opposite of where the puck was going. And this is not just a Minnesota tactic. I've seen this done exactly three times, two of them last weekend. Friday UND vs UAA this happened to UND and the goal counted. The UW/UMN one was another. The first one I saw was actually in the winter olympics. I want to say it was in Nagano at the time? Anyways, it was Canada vs US. Yzerman made a shot from just center blue-line-ward of the faceoff circles on Mike Richter while a Canadian player ran into Richter and basically pulled Richter the opposite way of the shot. The goal counted and I turned off the game. I knew then and there the US lost and the officiating played at least a minor role in it. Now, the UND/UAA one played no role in the outcome of the game, IMO, but if it did, I'm POSITIVE it would be seen as just another case of the "Halos" up in arms. :silly:

Redwing,

You may not agree with me on this one and that is fine, we simply agree to disagree. This is why people have opinions, some people agree with them and some don't but we still should respect each others opinions. I have posted on this board before and have never disrespected a persons opinion. I may not agree with there opinion but I am not going to start saying there wrong or start calling them names (ex Skippy, Slappy,etc). Its just sad that you get taken to the wood shed if you don't agree with someone statement. Everybody chears for their team but we are College hockey fans first so this shouldn't lead to a verbal attack on someone just because their not a Sioux fan, Gopher fan, etc.

Goon has this conspiracy theory that the Gophers get all the brakes, that is his opinion, I don't agree with it but it is his opinion. I'm sure if I stated that the Sioux get all the brakes that he would not agree with me. The one thing I do agree on is that all officials are inconsistent and until this changed we are always going to have a problem with the officials.

Goon, That is a pretty strong statement regarding Lucia getting a AR fired. Can you back it up with facts or is this just your opinion because you do not like the Gophers.

Goon, That is a pretty strong statement regarding Lucia getting a AR fired. Can you back it up with facts or is this just your opinion because you do not like the Gophers.

http://www.uscho.com/news/id,1147/ThisWeekInTheWCHANov232000

"He used poor judgment," Shepherd said.But here's where this all gets interesting. North Dakota coach Dean Blais is flabbergasted by this situation."I was upset that I read it in the newspaper, first of all," Blais said. "[it]insinuated that we won and tied [against] Minnesota because of home cooking. I reviewed the calls that he made and they were good calls; I was disappointed that there weren't more calls made by the A.R.s, both ways."What does that say as a league when a good young official, whether it be a referee or an A.R., is suspended indefinitely? For what reason? He wasn't favoring North Dakota. My point was, we don't seem to get a lot of calls our way anyway. I'm not paranoid. I've been watching hockey a long time. Is that because we're playing the University of Minnesota that happened?"

This is what we were talking about last week. If you go back and look at the story Kleven was fired for making the right call. I remember back to the time the Gophers coaching staff was not happy at all. If I remember right they called for his head. Lucia blamed his team losing on Kleven's call.

Lastly, I suppose calling you skippy was a little harsh, if your offended by that I am sorry. We do have quite a few people on here that come here just to troll, over on GPL a lot of this type behavior gets people shut down immediately, Jim is more lenient. However, you did call me out when I initially didn't bring up the subject of the Wisconsin goalie being run over, sprig brought it up, so you might want to call him out too? There is quite a bit of people out there that agree with me on this matter, my conclusion and others on this matter is logical so maybe some in the Gopher crowd should take off their maroon colored glasses.

In fact I believe some Gopher fans have been down right rude with their assessments of other fans and their opinion on this Goalie Running matter. I think some of the Goofer fans need to be less hypersensative, the league does not revolve around the Gophers there are 9 other teams in the league. This is why 90% percent fans in the WCHA hate the gophers and their fans. Its not a requirement to give the gophers props or compliments. Your right I am a hockey fan (not just college, I prefer the NHL because its less political and has better talent and officiating) until the WCHA/NCAA improves it officiating it will take a back seat to the NHL in my opinion.

Duh..the Jay Kleven Incident?

http://www.uscho.com/news/id,1147/ThisWeekInTheWCHANov232000

By the way Shepard lied in that story. The video clearly shows that Mike Schmitt's head was turned when the hit happened. Schmitt only looked at it when he heard the player striking the board.

By the way Shepard lied in that story. The video clearly shows that Mike Schmitt's head was turned when the hit happened. Schmitt only looked at it when he heard the player striking the board.

Good point. Yep saw the whole thing. :silly:

Goon - I don't know you and I'm sure your a good guy - after all you do hunt. :silly: And you are without doubt one of our biggest supporters.

However, your obsession and hatred of the referees and the Gophers is a little creepy and over the top to me - but it does make for some entertaining reading.

1. CC should present a good opportunity for UND to get going the right direction. They are not deep, they will probably play an open clean game, and their goalie (from the two games I've seen) isn't going to play like Lawson did last weekend.

I disagree. CC will be tough, especially if the Sioux continue with the problems on defense and in the net. CC has guys who can finish and their goalies have played well of late. The next four games will go a long way in determining where this team ends up in the WCHA race.

Goon - I don't know you and I'm sure your a good guy - after all you do hunt. :silly: And you are without doubt one of our biggest supporters.

However, your obsession and hatred of the referees and the Gophers is a little creepy and over the top to me - but it does make for some entertaining reading.

Hey thanks, I am not obsessed I am just tired of presenting evidence of how bad the refs are and some are just trying to poo poo it, yesterday I posed a stat that pretty much back up my claim that the Gophers are not called very often for penalties. For like a third year in a row MSU-M and UND are right at the top of the league for penalties. Coincidence hum, is it? (as far as obsessions go I am obsessed with hunting, golf and hockey)

As for Minnesota I just hate the cockiness and the arogance that oozes from the UofMN program. The FSN television crew, the Star Tribune they have surpassed SCSU in my opinion as being the biggest rubes in the NCAA. Actually I have a new found respect for the Huskies. I have even got to the point that I would rather see the Badgers win over the Gophers. That almost m Actually one of my family members is an ex-gopher from like the 1995 team, I still hate their program. That doesn't mean that I don't appreciate Kessels efforts now that he is a Bruin.

Lastly it is my opinion that the League officials are scared of the big schools not making the WCHA because they are all about the money. That is a theory that I have. I think they are affraid that if Wisconsin and Minnesota aren't at the final five no one will show up to see the games. I guess they wouldn't have faith in UND or SCSU filling the place.

Hey thanks, I am not obsessed I am just tired of presenting evidence of how bad the refs are and some are just trying to poo poo it, yesterday I posed a stat that pretty much back up my claim that the Gophers are not called very often for penalties. For like a third year in a row MSU-M and UND are right at the top of the league for penalties.

I don't get it that we shouldn't talk about the officiating. (Maybe it should be on it's own thread.)

As for me I think Minnesota gets some favoritism. However I don't blame the league for the number of penalties we've taken this year. Most of those have been good calls on bad plays.

officiating. (Maybe it should be on it's own thread.)

As for me I think Minnesota gets some favoritism. However I don't blame the league for the number of penalties we've taken this year. Most of those have been good calls on bad plays.

Just to add to that last weekend I didn't think we took that many penatlies either. The hooking call was kind of week though.

Hey thanks, I am not obsessed I am just tired of presenting evidence of how bad the refs are and some are just trying to poo poo it, yesterday I posed a stat that pretty much back up my claim that the Gophers are not called very often for penalties. For like a third year in a row MSU-M and UND are right at the top of the league for penalties. Coincidence hum, is it? (as far as obsessions go I am obsessed with hunting, golf and hockey)

As for Minnesota I just hate the cockiness and the arogance that oozes from the UofMN program. The FSN television crew, the Star Tribune they have surpassed SCSU in my opinion as being the biggest rubes in the NCAA. Actually I have a new found respect for the Huskies. I have even got to the point that I would rather see the Badgers win over the Gophers. That almost m Actually one of my family members is an ex-gopher from like the 1995 team, I still hate their program. That doesn't mean that I don't appreciate Kessels efforts now that he is a Bruin.

Lastly it is my opinion that the League officials are scared of the big schools not making the WCHA because they are all about the money. That is a theory that I have. I think they are affraid that if Wisconsin and Minnesota aren't at the final five no one will show up to see the games. I guess they wouldn't have faith in UND or SCSU filling the place.

Goon -- except for the fact I'm obsessed with FISHING in addition to golfing, hunting, and hockey - you and I could be brothers.

I must say, however, that using statistics to justify a belief that the WCHA is corrupt and that the Gophers don't get called for many penalties has some major shortcomings. For example, based on the chart you provided yesterday (copied and pasted below), and using your logic - - I would say that if anyone is getting preferential treatment - it is CC. They are averaging more than 8 minutes less a game than our Sioux (about 50% as much) - while the Gophers are less than 2 minutes per game less than the Sioux or less than 10% as much. You would have a stronger case -albeit still very arguable - if the Gophers were swithced with CC instead of in the middle of the pack in penalties. This chart does not back up your claim that the Gophers "are not called very often for penalties." Moreover, if anything, it confirms that they are about "average" and in the middle of the pack with the rest of the teams.

Using the chart, one could also argue that if anyone is getting the shaft, it is DU. Heck, they are almost 2 minutes more than us per game - about the same as the difference between us and the Gophers. They are more than 10 minutes more per game than their arch rivals CC. Is anyone at DU claiming the refs are out to get them ?

As for the point that the WCHA wants so bad to have Minnesota and Wisconsin at the final 5 that they are willing to sacrifice fairness, decency, integrity, and professionalism doesn't fly for me. I will continue to be a Sioux fan who doesn't believe in a big conspiracy against us. If the paranoia get's to strong, it becomes a self fullfilling prophecy - we look for it even when it isn't there. This is the stuff that makes people laugh at us.

Goon, I hope you have a great hunt to So Dak this weekend. I hope you don't take this personal.

Most Penalized

1 Denver 8 155 19.4

2 North Dakota 8 140 17.5

3 Minnesota Duluth 8 139 17.4

4 Minnesota State 8 138 17.2

5 Wisconsin 10 163 16.3

6 Minnesota 8 128 16.0

7 Alaska Anchorage 8 115 14.4

8 St. Cloud State 8 109 13.6

9 Michigan Tech 8 98 12.2

10 Colorado College 6 54 9.

Goon, I hope you have a great hunt to So Dak this weekend. I hope you don't take this personal.

I don't take a lot personal. Hey I have a lot of time on my hands at work, I have a short memory anyways what was your name again? :silly:

Fishing is for guys that don't golf. I would love too but I would have to give something up. My wife isn't leaving, my dog is staying and I got too much money envolved in hunting and golf. I live to hunt, to watch hockey and slap the ball around the course. Like I said earlier I could care less if some Goofer fan calls me a halo. Like the Whistler said, since when did it become taboo to complain about the refs, they flat out suck in this league.

I would be willing to bet if UND was 8-1-2 and UMN was 6-5 their fans would be complaining about the refs. That being said I still don't see the Goofers winning it all this season. SCSU expose their weaknesses and other teams will watch those games to see what the Huskies did. I bet Hak and co will too.