SiouxSports.com Forum

Cures for the CANIGLIA CURSE?

SiouxMeNow

How about learning how to tackle a QB in the open field?

I can't think of a comeback for that one?

Maybe we can intentially hurt your QB in the first quarter. Some Winona fans (obviously not all WSU fans) claimed that was actually in the Sioux game plan last weekend.

How about learning how to tackle a QB in the open field?

There's no question UND will need to tackle better against Miller in order to win. However, I think one of the reasons I'm so confident about this one is how UND did defending USD. The gameplan should be quite similar--force Miller to beat them by throwing the ball. It worked against a team with a better running back, better receivers and a better passing quarterback. The way the UND offense is playing, I'm quite confident that they'll put up some points--probably 30 or so. If UNO gets behind and has to throw, they could have some problems, unless they get more of those lucky deflected pass receptions again. :silly:

Maybe we can intentially hurt your QB in the first quarter. Some Winona fans (obviously not all WSU fans) claimed that was actually in the Sioux game plan last weekend.

I read that, also. Never mind the fact that the official was right there and didn't throw a flag on the Brennan hit. The fact of the matter is that Boettcher simply isn't a particularly good quarterback, and he wasn't going to make much of a difference in the game. Sure, maybe if he plays Winona may have scored 7-10 points (unlikely but possible), but on the other hand, UND could also have scored far more had the dogs not been called off early in the 3rd quarter.

Here's one...if we have a 4th and goal from the 1 - PUNCH IT IN! I know the textbook says "take the points on the road" but that could have made all the difference last time. We have a LOT of weapons...

It will be interesting to see if Lennon is more aggressive in this game. I wonder if he might have whisperred in Mussman's ear to take some chances as well.

Here's one...if we have a 4th and goal from the 1 - PUNCH IT IN! I know the textbook says "take the points on the road" but that could have made all the difference last time. We have a LOT of weapons...

This absolutely right. UNO converted a fourth and goal and UND kicked a FG.

My comment about the QB was not intended to be inflammatory, but if UND does that well they win. UNO's mobile QBs have given the Sioux fits in the last 10 years in Omaha. Ed Thompson, Kwanzi Watts,Seth Turman, and Brian Masek have all had decent days against UND in Omaha. UND9296 is right on with his assessment. USD has the better offense, but UNO has the better athletes on the defensive front seven. The Sioux should not score more than 27 points.

I would think that would be more like a draw given UND's rep in defense the last few DECADES but okay...thanks for not being a dork like WARRIOR 08 from Winona. He got the big FLUSH for being...well...12 years old but I'd like to hear sensible insight from a UNO fan! BTW - Can you recommend a (cheap :silly: ) Hotel near Caniglia? I'll be down - but Christmas is coming and I need to do it on the cheap....

I would think that would be more like a draw given UND's rep in defense the last few DECADES but okay...thanks for not being a dork like WARRIOR 08 from Winona. He got the big FLUSH for being...well...12 years old but I'd like to hear sensible insight from a UNO fan! BTW - Can you recommend a (cheap :silly: ) Hotel near Caniglia? I'll be down - but Christmas is coming and I need to do it on the cheap....

I meant UNO had a better defensive front 7 than USD.

There is a Comfort Inn on 87th and Dodge, which is pretty close to UNO on 60th and Dodge. Their phone number is (402) 343-1000 .

I meant UNO had a better defensive front 7 than USD.

There is a Comfort Inn on 87th and Dodge, which is pretty close to UNO on 60th and Dodge. Their phone number is (402) 343-1000 .

Thanks Lefty! I appreciate the tip! :0 Stop down to the UND tailgate area and you can take your pick from my cooler - FREE!! so...you can tell us...UNO fans have to be a little nervous since NO STREAK lasts forever - worried? ;);)

WSU lost that game before they showed up to GF. Having their QB hurt maybe made the difference between having zero and 2-6 points like they scored in the previous two games.

Thanks Lefty! I appreciate the tip! ;) Stop down to the UND tailgate area and you can take your pick from my cooler - FREE!! so...you can tell us...UNO fans have to be a little nervous since NO STREAK lasts forever - worried? :silly:;)

UNO's streak of playoff meltdown's has to end sometime too. I actually picked UND to win by 2 on the D2football.com website because Hellevang is pretty good now after a slow start.

you gotta think the crowd will be down with the Holiday weekend and all...what else do we need to get over the hump for there? (short of burying Pat Behrns under the turf to made a real hump! :silly: )

Two things that we need to remember. We got hosed on two interference calls. The one in the endzone against Rory Manke was so bad the only thing I can think he was calling was faceguarding which isn't a penalty in college. Watching it in person there wasn't any contact and that seemed confirmed with the film. The one on the sideline against Desautel looked like the receiver initiated the contact then the ball was so far out of bounds it landed just near Toto's food dish somewhere in Kansas. Odds are we won't get hosed on two interference calls again.

The other thing to remember is that Reed Manke is healthy and can run again. Against Omaha the first time, he was just coming off of his bruised shoulder and they didn't let him run. These guys have something to prove and I wouldn't bet against them. Behrns has done a good job at Omaha, but he won't be a factor.

Go Sioux!

Two things that we need to remember. We got hosed on two interference calls. The one in the endzone against Rory Manke was so bad the only thing I can think he was calling was faceguarding which isn't a penalty in college. Watching it in person there wasn't any contact and that seemed confirmed with the film. The one on the sideline against Desautel looked like the receiver initiated the contact then the ball was so far out of bounds it landed just near Toto's food dish somewhere in Kansas. Odds are we won't get hosed on two interference calls again.

The other thing to remember is that Reed Manke is healthy and can run again. Against Omaha the first time, he was just coming off of his bruised shoulder and they didn't let him run. These guys have something to prove and I wouldn't bet against them. Behrns has done a good job at Omaha, but he won't be a factor.

Go Sioux!

You are wrong about both interference calls. I saw them in person too and they were not flagrant, but they were legitimate. Our newscasts here in Omaha have actually been playing the clips of the end zone call from a sideline camera and there was contact (not much) with the DB with his back to the ball. The officials are going to call that every time if the DB is not looking back. On the sideline play, the UNO receiver caught the ball right on the sideline. You can't tell if he was inbounds or not, but it was close. My guess is he came down out of bounds. Again though, the ball was thrown to the sideline rather than upfield and the UNO receiver stopped running his route and the DB ran into him while trying to catch up and he was not looking back at the ball.

UND got screwed by the officials last year in the Alerus Center and you could make a case that UNO held the Sioux a lot this year. However, those PI calls were legit. Anybody can watch this game on the CSTV archive.

Its nice having a fan from an opposing team actually talk logically about football instead of ranting and raving, we should be thankful Lefty isn't another Warrior. :0

Usually we see UND-UNO games come down to the bounces, and it seems like whoever gets the big bounce ends up winning the game. UNO got it last time, and UND absolutely needs a couple bounces to win the football play.

BUT SO HELP ME IF THE MAVS GET ANOTHER BLATANT BOUNCE FROM THE GODS!!!!....... :silly:;);)

The key to winning this game - simple - leave the agressive offense uncorked and stop playing conservative like we seem to do every time we play Omaha. This is not the time to tighten up. A look at the film the last two weeks should show how effective we can be when we play loose. I know that not going for it on 4th and 1 has been discussed at length, but look what a big difference one loss has had on our rankings. We need to play to win plain and simple.

The key to winning this game - simple - leave the agressive offense uncorked and stop playing conservative like we seem to do every time we play Omaha. This is not the time to tighten up. A look at the film the last two weeks should show how effective we can be when we play loose. I know that not going for it on 4th and 1 has been discussed at length, but look what a big difference one loss has had on our rankings. We need to play to win plain and simple.

Exactly. When we played UNI, we knew they were going to be tough to beat so we threw everything at them. And that didn't turn out to bad. You need to look at UNO in the same light.

Exactly. When we played UNI, we knew they were going to be tough to beat so we threw everything at them. And that didn't turn out to bad. You need to look at UNO in the same light.

I would describe it as "playing to win;" as opposed to "playing not to lose." I'm pretty confident UND will be playing to win this time. Aggressive playcalling and sure tackling will win this game for the Sioux.

you gotta think the crowd will be down with the Holiday weekend and all...what else do we need to get over the hump for there? (short of burying Pat Behrns under the turf to made a real hump! :D )

Winning, that always takes care of curses. Except for the cursing done by the guys on the loosing end of the game. ???:lol: