SiouxSports.com Forum

Saturday Night College Hockey

Sioux-cia

Skippy,

Do you go around arguing with everyone you come in contact with. Life is too damn short. Here, try this take a deep breath, then exhale. Remember your on a UND message board. Well I sound like a SCSU, MSUM and UMD fan. Funny we all are from the same league. Must be some merit in what I said.

I'm gonna side with "Skippy" on this one...Whether there is merit in your comments or not, which I don't really believe by the way, you can't make an original post like you did and not expect the replies you received. Then you come out and say you were being sarcastic. When I read it, it all looked and sounded pretty serious to my eyes.

I think every team gets so-called favoritism to some extent. I don't think it's right that people believe that UofM or UW get more calls then the other schools in the conference or around the country. Maybe it looks like they get more calls because we are able to see them on TV more often and can be more critical of the officiating? Could be, since we don't see Alaska, Mankato, Michigan Tech on TV all that often. At least not in this area. Who really knows? Maybe it's just because we all would love to see UofM and UW lose and not get any breaks at all. I still don't believe there is any favoritism, just some plain old inconsistent and not very good referees in our league.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the WCHA refs favoring Minn and Wisc, I disagree. I think they suck across the board. Period. No favoritism, just suckitism...

LeftyZL, Goon, I refer you to this post. I think it pretty much sums it up.

Favoritism assumes that, though corrupt, the officials have an idea of what they are doing. Calling it by situation is simply something that tells all involved that the officials haven't a clue.

UND HAS gotten screwed by the officials quite a bit since I can remember, but it's hardly one sided. UND has benefitted from some downright crappy calls as well.

THe fact remains, and will remain for however long Bruce's head is up his butt and Greg Shepherd is still drawing a paycheck from the WCHA, that many of the officials are not competant.

I still think that there are a few who can still be "saved" such as Zelkin and, yeah, I believe Campion can be saved. Don Adam, Randy Schmidt, Todd Anderson, Mason, and Hunt are pretty much losses. Derek Shepherd is an interesting problem, IMO. It seems like one series he'll be a really good official, the next, he'll totally suck.

However, it would be interesting to see whose officiating improves once the WCHA decides to actually follow NCAA directives, crackdowns, and points of emphasis.

On the other hand I'm sure the Gopher fans can point out plenty of bad calls that went against them. So it's hard to separate out any hypothetical bias from the noise of bad officiating.

One example, there's no way that Jay Kleven would have been fired if he made a call like that for Minnesota. By the way the Saturday call he was punished was correct.

Doug Woog used to scream all the time about how the refs were against him and Goofer fans used to agree with him. I don't remember any complaining. Now if a fan of another team complains about the refing they are a halo, or a whiner? I have seen some stuff out there where the officials are in the wrong and nothing happens to them. I think your right Whistler.

Blaiser said."But here's where this all gets interesting. North Dakota coach Dean Blais is flabbergasted by this situation.

"I was upset that I read it in the newspaper, first of all," Blais said. "[it] insinuated that we won and tied [against] Minnesota because of home cooking. I reviewed the calls that he made and they were good calls; I was disappointed that there weren't more calls made by the A.R.s, both ways.

"What does that say as a league when a good young official, whether it be a referee or an A.R., is suspended indefinitely? For what reason? He wasn't favoring North Dakota. My point was, we don't seem to get a lot of calls our way anyway. I'm not paranoid. I've been watching hockey a long time. Is that because we're playing the University of Minnesota that that happened?"

So are we to call Blaiser a crack pot then. The ref was fired for making the right call?

I'm in the camp that believes the officials as a whole are incompetent, not biased. I watched both UM/SCSU games this weekend and even the Wooger was taking shots at them by predicting who the next penalty would be called on based on the situation. He was right more often than not! It's really a shame we even have to discuss this.

I'm in the camp that believes the officials as a whole are incompetent, not biased. I watched both UM/SCSU games this weekend and even the Wooger was taking shots at them by predicting who the next penalty would be called on based on the situation. He was right more often than not! It's really a shame we even have to discuss this.

I think the officiating would improve if we actually did talk about it. Here we are in a amatuer game and we're not allowed to talk about the people who are actually being paid for their involvment.

I think the officiating would improve if we actually did talk about it. Here we are in a amatuer game and we're not allowed to talk about the people who are actually being paid for their involvment.

We can talk all we want and I think we should. The sad thing is that we'll probably lose our voices! :D

We can talk all we want and I think we should. The sad thing is that we'll probably lose our voices! :D

Actually the league officials should be the ones talking. Maybe if they released their reports I'd believe that they actually give a darn about improving the officiating. Right now I really think they don't.

Scrolled back and found it. It told me a few things:

1. Greg Shepherd is clueless

2. A.Rs are the only officials that can be suspended, unless the head official's incompetance results in the breaking of the neck of a player on the ice... that is only 1 month suspension, though. Blow two penalty calls (something that happens REALLY often in the WCHA regardless of who is playing) and you get the heave ho for an "indefinite" amount of time apparently.

3. Since 2000, how many officials have been suspended? 1, unless someone knows otherwise. Don Adam for a month. Kleven should be pissed that his two silly calls are more heinous than Don Adam's noncall.

Greg Shepherd still needs to be fired.