SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs HUSKIES

AZSIOUX

This is turning into one of my officiating pet peeves this season. Calling dives is supposed to be a point of emphasis. But in the games I've seen so far, the WCHA seems to be calling diving less. Maybe that's where UND gets its "you can't tell us what to do, NCAA" attitude. ;)

The WCHA is only 1 for 3 in points of emphasis. They follow the checking from behind one (most of the time) and ignore the obstruction and diving ones. I guess Robbie Earl added more to the game that the WCHA could bear to take away if they started calling diving. I know this is anti-UND to say, but after seeing it last night, if I were Motzko, I'd tell my players to embellish at will. If they aren't going to call diving, may as well use it to your advantage, no?

So the boring crowd was Diggler's fault. When Diggler's having a bad game, it brings the whole arena down.

Yup. He was obviously trying to get his neighbor to stop cheering so they can stare wontingly at Casey Borer ;)

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I sit behind the south goal and had a great view of Porter's hook. If the referees called EVERY time it happened, they would need to call 300 every game. On the other hand, this is EXACTLY the kind of needless, selfish penalties that frustrate the coaches. But Porter should not have had his stick in that spot - 200 feet from Grieco with a 2-goal lead and time running out. Porter, overall played a super game.

St Cloud racked up alot of zone time, but got hardly any good scoring chances 5x5 or even on their powerplays. However, a lot of their zone time came because we didn't effectively work the breakouts. We miss a pass, St Cloud tosses it deep, and then we start all over again behind our net. That happened a lot last fall, getting "bottled up", but by February, the Sioux were just fine. I hope we can get every one on the same page soon. Its hard to watch.

I second the idea of getting Genoway some time at D. Question is who to take out of the lineup.

Call me crazy, but I liked the lines we started with last night. I like the balance, and it makes it hard for teams to key on one line. I can see why the coaches switched it up later - with all the PK and PP, its impossible to cycle the bench.

Liked our powerplay - which had some BAD luck on a night where we otherwise got a couple good bounces. At least 3 times, the low/deep cross-rink pass went just over or under a Sioux stick, which had a wide open net in front of them. We pulled the St Cloud box around very effectively and got good looks, but couldn't bury. I think tonight we get 2-3 powerplay goals.

I also predict Grieco will start in goal. ;);) (Hey a guy's gotta be right about at least ONE thing!)

One thing the Sioux have been known for in the past but are not doing much of this year is cycling the puck, and it does not appear that they are even trying to very often. Has Hak said anything about that?

On the pregame interview last night, Hennessy asked about what they would try to do differently. Hakstol said he wanted more 3-on-3 down low to wear out the other team's defenders. So, without calling it cycling the puck, I think its clear that yes, that's something they'd like to do more.

I thought Radke played that 3-1 too deep. When he layed on the ice he was practically hitting Greico and the SCSU player still had room to pass across. But Greico is supposed to stay with the puckhandler and he obviously left some room.

I haven't read all the posts in this thread but in reading the St. Cloud write up Lasch said that Radke played it great and took away any chance to pass to either of the other forwards, so he had to shoot. I wanted to point that out because I've been a little hard on Radke this year myself, and he deserves kudos for playing a difficult situation so well.

One thing the Sioux have been known for in the past but are not doing much of this year is cycling the puck, and it does not appear that they are even trying to very often. Has Hak said anything about that?

From games I've watched it seemed the one line that did cycle the puck was Watkins/Porter and whoever was with them. The DOT line seems skilled enough to create their chances without having to cycle, and the rest of the lines just didn't have much flow. It did look like a different Sioux team than in the past.

Thanks to everyone for the recaps!