SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs MAINE @ The Ralph

AZSIOUX

It's not just about titles. Minnesota has about 400 more wins all time than UND. Not to mention more NCAA tourney appearances AND wins than anybody including the Sioux. We also have more Frozen Four appearances than UND. Did I mention an all time winning record against the Sioux? We could go back and forth all day long about who has the better program. The truth is that UND, Minnesota, and Michigan can all make strong arguments about being the best.

Poor Bucky it is always the same sad old story out of you. If you want to count all the wins that were accumulated against beer league caliber teams during the infancy of college hockey, then good for you.

:)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the first well-put comment I've read of yours in quite some time.

Your other comments? It's pretty easy to have 400 more wins that UND when you've been playing hockey for 25 years longer. What other brain busters do you have? I've got one for you: UND 1-0 against Holy Cross in the post-season and Minnesota is 0-1 against the Crusaders. Clearly, UND is the best program based on that statistic.

25 years? Minnesota started in 1922-23 and UND started in 1929-30. You're not allowed to use dog years to make your argument sound better. :)

25 years? Minnesota started in 1922-23 and UND started in 1929-30. You're not allowed to use dog years to make your argument sound better. :)

What a sad day for the poor little Blarney Boys when the Canadians showed up and you had to start playing against real hockey teams. :lol:

Well this weekend should give us a first indication of what is really important. Who's better UND or the Gophs? :)

I'm thinking from watching the Gophs vs. Maine and Waynes World that the Sioux are farther along at this point and will handle Maine accordingly.

Cmon, buckysieve, at least know your facts. During the time-frame 1929-30 to 1935-36, UND played without an official coach and accumulated a record of 4-12 during that time. Let's look at the records:

1929-30: 1-1-0

1930-31: 0-1-0

1932-33: 1-8-0

1935-36: 2-2-0

The Gopher program proudly lists 1921-22 as its official birth year and the team compiled a 6-3-1 record for coach I.D. McDonald that season. After the 1935-36 season, UND went on an extended spring break and didn't resume playing until 1946-47.

Let's see...1946 minus 1921...yep, 25 years on the button.

Well this weekend should give us a first indication of what is really important. Who's better UND or the Gophs? :)

I'm thinking from watching the Gophs vs. Maine and Waynes World that the Sioux are farther along at this point and will handle Maine accordingly.

I agree. If I'm a Maine fan I'm hoping for a split but not expecting it. I was in Madison last weekend for the football game and also attended the Friday night game. I was impressed with UND's top line and I think Lammy is very solid. I watched Saturdays game at the bar and my jaw dropped when Oshie made that move around a defender and then beat Elliot with a shot from his knees. It clearly hit the post so I'm not sure why Sioux players started celebrating but what an amazing play.

Cmon, buckysieve, at least know your facts. During the time-frame 1929-30 to 1935-36, UND played without an official coach and accumulated a record of 4-12 during that time. Let's look at the records:

1929-30: 1-1-0

1930-31: 0-1-0

1932-33: 1-8-0

1935-36: 2-2-0

The Gopher program proudly lists 1921-22 as its official birth year and the team compiled a 6-3-1 record for coach I.D. McDonald that season. After the 1935-36 season, UND went on an extended spring break and didn't resume playing until 1946-47.

Let's see...1946 minus 1921...yep, 25 years on the button.

Regardless, having the most wins all time in the history of the sport is something to be very proud of.

I agree. If I'm a Maine fan I'm hoping for a split but not expecting it. I was in Madison last weekend for the football game and also attended the Friday night game. I was impressed with UND's top line and I think Lammy is very solid.

Hey just a question for you. Weren't you one of the people that said the Sioux had questions in goal?

I pitty you for having to watch the Minnesota and Wisconsin Football game. That was an ugly game. I stopped watching after UofM scored their TD that gave them 12.

Regardless, having the most wins all time in the history of the sport is something to be very proud of.

Cmon, Dan Rather. Reporting the facts is something to be proud of, too.

By my count, Minnesota has 321 more wins than the Sioux (and I'm counting the late 1920's up to the mid 1930's too). Of that number, 237 of those wins were accumulated before UND had an official head coach. Since 1945-46, Minnesota has 84 more wins than North Dakota. 84 wins over a 60 year span, an average of 1.4 more wins by the Gophers per year than the Sioux.

Clearly, the superior program, in U of M. :)

Cmon, Dan Rather. Reporting the facts is something to be proud of, too.

By my count, Minnesota has 321 more wins than the Sioux. Of that number, 237 of those wins were accumulated before UND had a head coach. I'll throw you a bone and count UND's program all the way back to 1929-30 and add 4 wins to the Sioux program, meaning since 1945-46, Minnesota has 84 more wins than North Dakota. 84 wins over a 60 year span, an average of 1.4 more wins by the Gophers per year than the Sioux.

Clearly, the superior program, in U of M. :)

Why do you constantly let facts get in the way. Let Bucky keep going it's great entertainment :lol:

Why do you constantly let facts get in the way. Let Bucky keep going it's great entertainment :)

What fun would that be? Just trying to compare apples to apples. When almost 74% of that "win differential" can be atttributed to the years before the Sioux even had a hockey program (or just 72.5% if buckysieve still wants to date UND's program using 1929-30 as the benchmark), it's hard not to find the flaws in his thesis.

No team in college hockey is hated more than Minnesota. It's very similar to the Yankees in MLB. Everyone hates the best. I enjoy it and look at it as an honor to be the team everyone wants to beat.

another classic post....EVERYONE HATES THE BEST?? :) says who? you...

boy, i love these debates. but, back on topic...i think UND has a good chance of winning by 2 goals each night...maine just doesnt have the offense that UND has, and if UND can minimize the crappy defensive mistakes...they win.

I am looking forward to this trip to Grand Forks more than any trip I've made west and north in recent memory (excluding last year's western regional). I've seen Maine play in person twice now, both against Minnesota, and they're 0-2 in those games. I'm glad I stayed away from the X a few weeks ago. :)

CAN YOU STOP FKING GOOD THREADS UP ON THIS SITE...appreciate it...this is for UND VS MAINE, not about how everyone hates the gophs because they are the best. much appreciated SIEVE, have a nice day :(

CAN YOU STOP FKING GOOD THREADS UP ON THIS SITE...appreciate it...this is for UND VS MAINE, not about how everyone hates the gophs because they are the best. much appreciated SIEVE, have a nice day :(

Take another look. I'm not the one who changed the subject to teams hating Minnesota. It was brought up twice before I responded.

Take another look. I'm not the one who changed the subject to teams hating Minnesota. It was brought up twice before I responded.

That's the point you responded. From now on don't. Enough said about that, now back to the topic at hand. The Sioux take the black bears for two games this weekend. Oshie and Toews have big nights in front of the hometown crowd. (inspired by having Tony "Hobey Baker" Hrck in the building)

The funny part about all of this talk is that when I was at the 2005 Frozen Four, I talked to a bunch of people from out east schools(Boston U., BC, Maine, Vermont, and UMass are schools I know I talked to), and they all had one thing in common. They Hate Minnesota.

Even if this is true (Hate? This is college hockey, not terrorism) I have to ask - what the hell did we ever do to Vermont and UMass? :)

btw - either of these games on CSTV this weekend? I haven't checked the schedule yet.

i know bucky but it seems like you never have anything to say ever except looking for anti gopher posts and you taking it from there. be nice to see you engage in some regular hockey talk

The funny part about all of this talk is that when I was at the 2005 Frozen Four, I talked to a bunch of people from out east schools(Boston U., BC, Maine, Vermont, and UMass are schools I know I talked to), and they all had one thing in common. They Hate Minnesota. With A Passion. Some may call it jealousy, others may call it a fact. I just love it when I recall those days in Columbus. :)

Ask any Maine fan over the age of, say, 25, and they'll tell you that the rival is BU.

Some of us just got bored when the Terriers recently took a 6 year vacation from being relevant ;)

. . . so we diversified a little bit, dabbling in BC hatred and Gopher spite . . . but Jackie's ratdogs are, and will continue to be, public enemy #1 for most Blackbear fans - or at least for all of us who learned college hockey watching the showdowns between Jackie Pahkuh's great early-mid 90s teams (with Tony Amonte, Keith Tkachuk, Shawn McEachern, Chris Drury, etc) take on Kariya, Weinrich, Carney, Pellerin, Dunham, Snow & co.

The shocking loss in 02 notwithstanding, the gophers have had about as much luck with maine over the past few years as maine has had with the sioux - very little. No reason to fear 'em when most of the time you beat 'em :(

toews tears it up this weekend fo sho....................

phil keeps shining and proving himself with solid games in net

d zajac adds another goal by BIG BISHOP

and Bishop will score a goal on BISHOP, count on it :(

oshie gets on the board both nights

sioux sweep :)

5-3, empty netter

2-1, ot goal

I'm hoping the Sioux establish home ice advantage better than recent history, at least early in the season. Maine is a team with another very strong goaltender. If they play a strong defensive game like Bucky, then I guess anything can happen. A few breakdowns defensively by the Sioux, and a solid effort by Maine could make life difficult.

Hopefully the Sioux take care of their own zone this weekend. If so, I like our chances to sweep. I think the Sioux will have the edge offensively. Defense and goaltending can be the great equalizer. Would be fun games to see (they all are, aren't they?).

I wonder if they'll be on TV in Blackduck, MN...