SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs MAINE @ The Ralph

AZSIOUX

tn_IMG_1484.jpgVS goalie.jpg

Should be another great series. Maine comes in 3-0 with 2 wins over over bemidji state this last weekend and a win over the gophers in the hall of fame game to open their season. Very important games in the long run when it comes to the NC$$ tourney. Hope forney can get in these games if healthy. Maine is one hockey east team i like to see do well except this weekend of course. Good history between the 2 teams the way blais handled the walsh situation a few years back. The sioux had a solid weekend in madison and i think it is time to hand the black bears their first loss. Maine has 2 NCAA titles. 1993, 1999. Maine consists of mostly east coast players with 2 kids from apple valley, mn, 1 floridian and 1 californian in the mix.

GOALIES

UND- Lamoureux 3-1-0, .933 SV%, 1.50 GAA

MAINE - Bishop 3-0-0, .933 SV%, 1.75 GAA FYI - He is listed at 6'7 210 lbs :)

MAINE STATS

http://www.uscho.com/stats/team-overall.ph...me&gender=m

MAINE WEBSITE

http://goblackbears.cstv.com/sports/m-hock...ockey-body.html

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I've read, they are a team that plays a similar defensive style to that of Wisconsin. Plus, their goaltender (Bishop) is a combination of mammoth size (6'7" :) ) and skill. They don't have a whole ton of scoring talent, but they do have some good stick handlers on their team.

If we play with a tempo and a team speed like we played last Friday night, I think we can beat Maine. But if we try to play their game style, it could be a long night.

Pontificating even further, I don't anticipate this series to be a high scoring one either.

Flying Blind Assumption: From what I've heard, Maine fans are an extremely classy bunch. I hope we treat those that come the same.

I will vouch for this. They were very gracious when we were there two years ago.

you guys are getting WAY off base here. it never gets old reading azsioux's threads...they are so beautiful! all of your chosen colors...simply put, you inspire me to be a better person. :):lol:

you guys are getting WAY off base here. it never gets old reading azsioux's threads...they are so beautiful! all of your chosen colors...simply put, you inspire me to be a better person. :);)

WHY THANK YOU, I DO WHAT I CAN :lol::lol:

From what I've read, they are a team that plays a similar defensive style to that of Wisconsin. Plus, their goaltender (Bishop) is a combination of mammoth size (6'7" :) ) and skill.

I've seen them live and he is not that tall. If he is, then their defenseman listed at 6'7" must actually be 6'9" or even 7'.

Speaking of adding inches.......Ryan Duncan is listed at 5'6". I'm 5'6" and when he went by me in the players' box with his skates on, I was still taller than him.

I agree, they have bina listed as 5'8" on the roster, but the last time i saw him, i was almost eye level with him and i am nowhere close to that tall.

Either way though, 6'5" or 6'7", he is still going to make our goalies look like shrimps.

I will vouch for this. They were very gracious when we were there two years ago.

I met a few Maine fans in Milwaukee, and they were all really nice people. One guy even liked the Sioux logo so much, he asked where he could find Sioux gear online. He planned on buying a jersey.

I met a few Maine fans in Milwaukee, and they were all really nice people. One guy even liked the Sioux logo so much, he asked where he could find Sioux gear online. He planned on buying a jersey.

Some of my friends and I also met a bunch of Maine fans in Milwaukee. We actually were sitting with their "cheerleaders" in front of the band cheering against the BADgers with them. It was a fun time. The Maine fans have a lot of class, but who doesn't compared to Wisconsin fans haha! I think they were confused as to why we were wearing Sioux stuff and cheering with them, but we're diehard anit-Badger fans ha!! But anyways, it was a really fun time getting to know some of them!!

And this may not be much insight, but this is what I heard from my insider at Maine: "They beat Bemijdi State 7-1 Friday, and 6-3 Saturday. Holy COW did that team take penalties. Friday night Maine scored 6 PP goals and 1 shorty. This sounds like they had great special teams. It wasn't so much THAT as much as it was rare to see 5 on 5 hockey that night! Oh well, good luck next weekend!!" Oh and then there was this too: "Watch out for #11!!"

But anyways, that's about all I've got for ya guys. GO FIGHTING SIOUX!!! And Go Holy Cross Crusaders!!

The question is, Will MafiaMan Wear His Maine Hat?

The answer is, 'no'. My Maine hat and personalized Maine jersey will remain at home this weekend. Watch for my Sioux hat and a probable Russian jersey in section 314A.

If you spot me, feel free introduce yourself and I'll gladly give you a softball sponsor Liberty Bail Bonds handcuff keychain that I hand out on occasion at Joe Senser's.

Flying Blind Assumption: From what I've heard, Maine fans are an extremely classy bunch. I hope we treat those that come the same.

I've had the fortune of running into many Maine fans at the 2005 Western Regional in Minneapolis and the 2005 Frozen Four in Columbus. Every single Maine fan I met told me that they cheer for the Sioux as their second favorite team and will always remember the kind actions of Dean Blais and co. when Shawn Walsh was stricken with cancer. They're a great bunch of fans.

I had the suite in the Shottenstein Center right next to a suite full of Maine fans during the 2005 Frozen Four. All class acts and great fans. They all were cheering for the Sioux, especially when we beat the rodents. It may well be that they hate Minnesota more than any other hockey program. Hopefully we all welcome their fans to our building with respect.

I had the suite in the Shottenstein Center right next to a suite full of Maine fans during the 2005 Frozen Four. All class acts and great fans. They all were cheering for the Sioux, especially when we beat the rodents. It may well be that they hate Minnesota more than any other hockey program. Hopefully we all welcome their fans to our building with respect.

The funny part about all of this talk is that when I was at the 2005 Frozen Four, I talked to a bunch of people from out east schools(Boston U., BC, Maine, Vermont, and UMass are schools I know I talked to), and they all had one thing in common. They Hate Minnesota. With A Passion. Some may call it jealousy, others may call it a fact. I just love it when I recall those days in Columbus. :)

The funny part about all of this talk is that when I was at the 2005 Frozen Four, I talked to a bunch of people from out east schools(Boston U., BC, Maine, Vermont, and UMass are schools I know I talked to), and they all had one thing in common. They Hate Minnesota. With A Passion. Some may call it jealousy, others may call it a fact. I just love it when I recall those days in Columbus. :)

No team in college hockey is hated more than Minnesota. It's very similar to the Yankees in MLB. Everyone hates the best. I enjoy it and look at it as an honor to be the team everyone wants to beat.

No team in college hockey is hated more than Minnesota. It's very similar to the Yankees in MLB. Everyone hates the best. I enjoy it and look at it as an honor to be the team everyone wants to beat.

Right you are Bucky, I would concede the #1 hated and arrogant fans for both teams but the only difference is that the Yankee fans actually have a reason (read real banners) to be arrogant. Been sniffing a little too much of your brother's hairspray lately? :)

Wake me up when this is over!

I think the comparison of Maine and Wisconsin is a good one. Very similar close checking style. I look for UND to split or get win/tie this weekend. Low scoring though, winning team with 3 goals max.

Maine has a very good reason to hate Minnesota and their fans have a good memory. Several of their fans that I met in 2005 mentioned the Hauser non-calls.

Everyone hates the best. Your arrogance is almost laughable. Unfortunately, your Gophers can't even compare with the titles won by North Dakota, Wisconsin, Denver, or Michigan, let alone the 26 of the Yankees.

It's a good thing the Gopher football team will never be compared with the Yankees or we'd never hear the end of it.

Maine has a very good reason to hate Minnesota and their fans have a good memory. Several of their fans that I met 2005 mentioned the Hauser non-calls.

Everyone hates the best. Your arrogance is almost laughable. Unfortunately, your Gophers can't even compare with the titles won by North Dakota, Wisconsin, Denver, or Michigan, let alone the 26 of the Yankees.

It's not just about titles. Minnesota has about 400 more wins all time than UND. Not to mention more NCAA tourney appearances AND wins than anybody including the Sioux. We also have more Frozen Four appearances than UND. Did I mention an all time winning record against the Sioux? We could go back and forth all day long about who has the better program. The truth is that UND, Minnesota, and Michigan can all make strong arguments about being the best.

The truth is that UND, Minnesota, and Michigan can all make strong arguments about being the best.

That's the first well-put comment I've read of yours in quite some time.

Your other comments? It's pretty easy to have 400 more wins that UND when you've been playing hockey for 25 years longer. What other brain busters do you have? I've got one for you: UND 1-0 against Holy Cross in the post-season and Minnesota is 0-1 against the Crusaders. Clearly, UND is the best program based on that statistic.