SiouxSports.com Forum

Final Five 2007

Sioux-cia

Yikes, that's just like my grandpa saying he used to play the kerosine guitar before electricity came.

As for the final five, Mr. and Mrs. Siouxman, I hope I can trust you to purchase three tickets this year :silly:

Heck, Jimi Hendrix was playing one of those in the early 70's! :lol:

I think you are referring to the "steam guitar".

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The WCHA FF can stand on its own merit. This tourament will sell out for the championship games whenever Wisconsin, ND, SCSU, Mankato or Duluth are playing. If you have a championship game of CC and Denver, attendance may be in trouble. We are past the point of having to say the Gophers get the night game, because its the only way it will sell out. Does anyone remember what the attendance was at last years final?

um - ok - thanks

If you have a championship game of CC and Denver, attendance may be in trouble.

Gee, since it WAS a CC/Denver title game two years ago, did you even bother to look at attendance then? Seems to me that the X still had an excellent crowd. For the 70th time, if attendance is the key factor, why don't we just push the Gopher Consolation game (since they're in the 3rd place game so often) to 7:00 pm Saturday to ensure that more fans pack that game? It only makes sense, right? After all, it's all about attendance! Maybe the WCHA could commission a third place trophy to make the game a little more meaningful? The Don Lucia Mug?

Gee, since it WAS a CC/Denver title game two years ago, did you even bother to look at attendance then? Seems to me that the X still had an excellent crowd. For the 70th time, if attendance is the key factor, why don't we just push the Gopher Consolation game (since they're in the 3rd place game so often) to 7:00 pm Saturday to ensure that more fans pack that game? It only makes sense, right? After all, it's all about attendance! Maybe the WCHA could commission a third place trophy to make the game a little more meaningful? The Don Lucia Mug?

I made the comment last year that I was surprised they didn't change the time of the game so the Goofs would get the 700pm game then more people would have been able to watch the Goofs loose to the Badgers 4-0. Of course those games don't matter.

I made the comment last year that I was surprised they didn't change the time of the game so the Goofs would get the 700pm game then more people would have been able to watch the Goofs loose to the Badgers 4-0. Of course those games don't matter.

That would never work though as Goph fans don't show for their team in lowly consolation games - no mater what the time.

The WCHA FF can stand on its own merit. This tourament will sell out for the championship games whenever Wisconsin, ND, SCSU, Mankato or Duluth are playing. If you have a championship game of CC and Denver, attendance may be in trouble. We are past the point of having to say the Gophers get the night game, because its the only way it will sell out. Does anyone remember what the attendance was at last years final?

Wait, you guys... this person is actually saying the same thing you are.

Let me rephrase: "The Gophers do not need the night game anymore, because the Final Five can sell out with other teams. It might be more difficult if both championship teams are from out of state, since their fans can't come at the last minute to see the games."

According to the WCHA official site, 16,164 fans watched the 2006 Gophers/Badgers third place game and 19,282 attended the Sioux/St Cloud championship game.

As I stated earlier, 16,507 were in the stands for the 2005 title game (Denver vs CC) and 14,730 watched the Gopher/Sioux third place game.

That's 34,012 fans for games involving the Sioux and 30,894 for games involving the Gophers for those of you keeping score at home.

WCHA Playoff Titles: Minnesota (13), North Dakota (8)

WCHA Final Fives held at the St Paul Civic Center, Target Center, or XCel Energy Center, typically considered the Golden Gopher backyard, since 1997? Nine. WCHA playoff titles by North Dakota in that time frame? 3 (1997, 2000, 2006). Other title game appearance in that time-frame? 2 (2001, 2005). That's five title game appearances in nine years in the WCHA Final Five and six appearances in ten years if you count the 1998 Final Five at the Bradley Center.

How have the Gophers done during that same time frame, TC_transplant?

WCHA Final Fives held at the St Paul Civic Center, Target Center, or XCel Energy Center, typically considered the Golden Gopher backyard, since 1997? Nine. WCHA playoff titles by North Dakota in that time frame? 3 (1997, 2000, 2006). Other title game appearance in that time-frame? 2 (2001, 2005). That's five title game appearances in nine years in the WCHA Final Five and six appearances in ten years if you count the 1998 Final Five at the Bradley Center.

How have the Gophers done during that same time frame, TC_transplant?

Great point. Now can we put the rest the lame "home ice advantage" for the Gophers every year at the Final 5?? :) I don't know why other fans complain, (just to complain about the Gophers I guess) the proof is stated above. Xcel doesn't help the Gophers win. They haven't won a single game in the last 2 Final Fives.

Great point. Now can we put the rest the lame "home ice advantage" for the Gophers every year at the Final 5?? :) I don't know why other fans complain, (just to complain about the Gophers I guess) the proof is stated above. Xcel doesn't help the Gophers win. They haven't won a single game in the last 2 Final Fives.

It's funny how quickly Gopher fans refute the notion that 16,000 or so fans attending a game has no impact on their play. If the Gophers can't win games with 98% of the crowd in their lap, perhaps it suggests a lack of heart, not talent.

Interesting, though, how the same posters and fans point out how "biased" the neutral-ice site REA was last March. The same fans proclaiming the "X" as a neutral ice site were the same ones screaming "not fair!" when having to go to Grand Forks. What goes around comes around, Goldy.

Fellow Sioux Fans -- Calm Down re: Gophers must play on Friday night at the Final 5 for TV ratings.

Don't you realize that when the Sioux play in the afternoon semi-final game on Friday, they get 8+ hours more rest than the Gophers for the title game, if the Gophers actually win.

Why it may hurt our feelings the Gophers get all the TV attention, it's a better situation for the team to play Fri afternoon than Fri evening.

Sure, just a second, sagard. I'm on hold waiting for Bruce Pearl to give me an answer on that.

Don't hold your breath, I've heard he's answering a lot of fan mail these days as well. :)

I was refering to how the Gophs have done since the Sioux got really good in '97 and started kicking everyones --- again.

Like every year, the Final Five will be a blast again. Hopefully we get the Gophs/Sioux in the final that deep down we all really want.

I was refering to how the Gophs have done since the Sioux got really good in '97 and started kicking everyones --- again.

I didn't pick 1997 for that reason...just wanted to stay somewhat current in the common poster's memory and not harken back to the days of Brian Bonin and Dave Snuggerud and cause Gopher fans to wonder when those two are getting called up to the NHL.

It's funny how quickly Gopher fans refute the notion that 16,000 or so fans attending a game has no impact on their play. If the Gophers can't win games with 98% of the crowd in their lap, perhaps it suggests a lack of heart, not talent.

Interesting, though, how the same posters and fans point out how "biased" the neutral-ice site REA was last March. The same fans proclaiming the "X" as a neutral ice site were the same ones screaming "not fair!" when having to go to Grand Forks. What goes around comes around, Goldy.

I'm sure you've been to the final five which is why I'm surprised you think there are 16,000 gopher fans there. The place seats about 18,000 and UND always brings a few thousand, so does Wisconsin and St. Cloud. I bet it's much closer to 12,000 gopher fans than 16,000. When the Gophers opponent scores no matter who it is it's usually pretty loud in there with all the combined fans of other teams cheering against them. No way is there 16,000 Gopher fans out of the 18,000 IMO.

I'm sure you've been to the final five which is why I'm surprised you think there are 16,000 gopher fans there. The place seats about 18,000 and UND always brings a few thousand, so does Wisconsin and St. Cloud. I bet it's much closer to 12,000 gopher fans than 16,000. When the Gophers opponent scores no matter who it is it's usually pretty loud in there with all the combined fans of other teams cheering against them. No way is there 16,000 Gopher fans out of the 18,000 IMO.

And bucky would know, because his brother talks to lucia all the time. There, so take that MafiaMan.

I was talking primarily about the Friday night semi-final games of the past few years. I would dispute your thinking that 40% of the arena was cheering for anyone not wearing the mighty "M" jersey in those games, particularly the 2005 game with Colorado College. You're right, though, about one thing: With 14,000+ fans for the 2005 third place game and 16,000+ for last year's third place game, you're talking about a likelihood of 8-10,000 Gopher fans for 2005 and more like 10-12,000 for 2006.