SiouxSports.com Forum

Greg Johnson Retires from NHL

MafiaMan

A late announcement today caught on the back pages due to Cory Lidle's death and the Tigers/A's game tonite...Greg Johnson retires from the Red Wings due to a heart abnormality. Anyone who saw #9 play for the Sioux in the late 1980's/early 1990's will remember Greg's talent and skill with fondness. Had he played with a better supporting cast, Greg would be remembered as one of the NCAA's all-time greats instead of a great player on a mediocre team. I was sad to see him get traded from the Red Wings to the Penguins not too long before Detroit finally got over the Stanley Cup hump in 1997. It's a shame Johnson wasn't a part of that team. Best of luck to you, #9, in your future endeavors.

Greg Johnson Hangs 'Em Up

A late announcement today caught on the back pages due to Cory Lidle's death and the Tigers/A's game tonite...Greg Johnson retires from the Red Wings due to a heart abnormality. Anyone who saw #9 play for the Sioux in the late 1980's/early 1990's will remember Greg's talent and skill with fondness. Had he played with a better supporting cast, Greg would be remembered as one of the NCAA's all-time greats instead of a great player on a mediocre team. I was sad to see him get traded from the Red Wings to the Penguins not too long before Detroit finally got over the Stanley Cup hump in 1997. It's a shame Johnson wasn't a part of that team. Best of luck to you, #9, in your future endeavors.

Greg Johnson Hangs 'Em Up

If the Sioux would have had any kind of Defense and or a Goalie they would have been just fine,losing games 7-6 doesn't help. With the likes of Dixon Ward,Russ Romaniuk and Dane(the lamplighter)Jackson they could always score just not prevent it :D

Greg Johnson fell in my Sioux hockey dark ages. I moved from GF and without the internet it was difficult to stay up on what was going on. I did get to a couple of games where he played, but without knowing much about who was who, really didn't realize what I was watching. I feel like I missed out.

I think that he is still UND's and the WCHA's all time leading scorer..............correct? Not to mention 3-straight years of runner-up to the Hobey Baker. Great, great player.

According to the WCHA media guide he is # 6 on the all-time list for all games, and tied for 5th for just WCHA games.

Greg Johnson fell in my Sioux hockey dark ages. I moved from GF and without the internet it was difficult to stay up on what was going on. I did get to a couple of games where he played, but without knowing much about who was who, really didn't realize what I was watching. I feel like I missed out.

He was awesome. Big, very fast, nasty wrist shot, physical, great hockey sense. One of the all-time greats!