SiouxSports.com Forum

Wisc football tailgating on Oct 14th

LadyDy

Anyone have information on where (what streets) to partake in the tailgating for Wisco. Badgers vs. Mn Gophers on October 14th. Is it all around the stadium, or farther away? We'll be in Madison for Sioux/Wisco hockey for the weekend and thought it would be fun to get in on the Div I football tailgating. Heard from some friends who went to Badgers football games when Bollinger played there - they said it was unreal how fun the tailgating was. Don't care so much about the game, (although if we had cheap tix we'd go) but thought what better way to start off the day with some early drinking. We'll wear our Sioux hockey jerseys and see what kind of trouble we can get in. Game time is 11:00 AM though, so the partying will start very early - maybe we should stay up from Friday night! Any info would be appreciated. Does anyone know of any links to Wisconsin forum websites - maybe someone there would correspond with us.

Anyone have information on where (what streets) to partake in the tailgating for Wisco. Badgers vs. Mn Gophers on October 14th. Is it all around the stadium, or farther away? We'll be in Madison for Sioux/Wisco hockey for the weekend and thought it would be fun to get in on the Div I football tailgating. Heard from some friends who went to Badgers football games when Bollinger played there - they said it was unreal how fun the tailgating was. Don't care so much about the game, (although if we had cheap tix we'd go) but thought what better way to start off the day with some early drinking. We'll wear our Sioux hockey jerseys and see what kind of trouble we can get in. Game time is 11:00 AM though, so the partying will start very early - maybe we should stay up from Friday night! Any info would be appreciated. Does anyone know of any links to Wisconsin forum websites - maybe someone there would correspond with us.

Tailgating takes place pretty all over the downtown area. The area is thick with bars and rich in college atmosphere. You won't have a hard time finding accomodating tailgaters anywhere near the stadium. Hope you're thirsty!

State street is the name of the main stip of bars. The street will be closed down to traffic and will be packed starting at about 7 for an eleven a.m. game. My favorites include State Street Brats: try to get a seat upstairs with a great view of the big screens. The Kollege Klub is another good one as well as the Mad Hatter. I'ld recommend just walking around the stadium during the football game and taking in as much as you can. If you can get a tic make sure you are in there between the 3rd and 4th quarters when they play "Jump around"

There is a bar next to the stadium with an open roof on it that is also a fun time. Can't remember the name though. Either way, just hanging around the stadium you'll have a great time. We've just walked around throwing a football to anyone we see and had some of the best days of our lives. People probably won't giv e you much crap about your jersey as during football season no one is very concerned with hockey. It'll be a great time for you though.

Having lived in Madison for 17 year I feel that I should have some input here. As far as State Street, other than buses and deliveries, traffic is never allowed on the street. Lots of bars, lots of people, there will always be a lot going on if you visit State Street (not as much as Halloween, but that's a good thing!) I'm told that there are also a lot of good bars on Regent Street.

Tailgating will be going on ALL around the stadium. A lot of people park a long ways away and walk to the stadium (we rent out my high school parking lot for parking). I'll post more info as I talk to my friends that attend/live in Madison still.

Getting cheap tickets, especially for that game will probably be very close to impossible... as may be getting tickets at all. Make sure you check out the new "monument" (I guess that is what they call it) right by the stadium... a lot of people find it really amusing :blush: Jump around is definatly an experience, as is the entire student section. And the great part about it is that the rest of the stadium loves it, football is the way of live in Madison and Wisconsin in general.

Hopefully this helps some, let me know if you have any other questions and I'll see what I can find.

Thanks so much for that info - both of you. These are awesome suggestions. I'm pumped already. Can we take a cab and get dropped off close enough? Actually can't remember where our hotel is - I'll check that out and let you know. Maybe if all of us want to go we will take the Sioux party bus and all 47 of us will go. The bus driver may know where to go. Can't wait - looking forward to more suggestions!

Talking to one of my friends, she said that her parents like the Big 10 Pub on Regent Street, or Stadium Bar on Monroe Street, right across from the stadium... basically if you are downtown anywhere near the stadium, it shouldn't be a problem finding a place to tailgate.

Oakcrest Tavern, is a great spot the band usually shows up to entertain before the game.....then they lead the way to Camp Randall Stadium...

There is really no parking Lot tailgating to speak of...But ALOT of small off street lots where tailgating is taking place....it is just incredible

The Student Union Runs a great Bloody Mary Bar at about 9am.....Student Gov Sponsored...

Camp Randall , Downtown State Street and all surrounding areas...It's like a Giant Ant Hill before the Game hundreds of thousand fans entering from all areas...

The Student Section in unbelievable...

And make sure you stay for the 5th Quarter Band Show...Awesome

Oakcrest Tavern, is a great spot the band usually shows up to entertain before the game.....then they lead the way to Camp Randall Stadium...

There is really no parking Lot tailgating to speak of...But ALOT of small off street lots where tailgating is taking place....it is just incredible

The Student Union Runs a great Bloody Mary Bar at about 9am.....Student Gov Sponsored...

Camp Randall , Downtown State Street and all surrounding areas...It's like a Giant Ant Hill before the Game hundreds of thousand fans entering from all areas...

Oakcrest is gone, but there's a new bar in it's place (at least as of last time I was in Madison, about a year ago).

I agree that Regent St. is the place to be pre-game, though post-game feel free to fan out to State St. or whatever you like. If you haven't done Madison before, the Student Union lakefront terrace is not to be missed.

I'm expecting to be around Madison myself, that weekend -- I should be the only guy with a SiouxSports.com sweatshirt :blush:

got the hotel info finally. We are staying at the Econo Lodge Madison - 4726 East Washington. How far away from the festivities are we? Would cab fare be brutal?? I'm excited now after reading all these great posts with ideas on where to go. Hopefully we score some game tix too. Leaving 2 weeks from today - I'm pumped now!

• 3 weeks later...