SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs. Augie

UND92,96

In kind of an interesting coincidence, for the second week in a row UND plays a team who UNO ran for over 400 yards against the week before. Hopefully the same mistake won't be made this week by waiting until the second half to turn Chappell loose. I'd love to see a steady dose of Chappell/Beatty, with an occasional deep ball to Dressler to keep the defense somewhat honest. Belmore does generally throw a nice deep ball. Giving Dressler a few carries might not be a bad idea, either. Defensively, I would look for Augie to do much of what Western Washington did, as Flyger is a pretty good quarterback and they have a nice group of receivers.

Press release for the UND-Augie game. Looking at the depth chart, I'm assuming it's just a matter of nobody bothering to update it since last week. Is it really possible that Strouth is still ahead of Chappell given the huge disparity between their numbers so far this year?

Yup and I like it. He is a senior (Jr. cuz of Medical hardship) and Chapell will likely get the same reps. Smart move for the program. The message is that if you put in your time you will be rewarded. I would also get Tom Loegering on the field for the same reason. Over the years we have lost too many kids who hang it up after a year, two or three because they don't get any playing time and don't think hanging in there until they are seniors will make a difference.. When those kids quit it hurts your depth and it eventually hurts your recruiting. These guys also tend to have leadership skills and can be valuable in bringing along your younger stars. I like what Dale is doing. At some point in time Chapell will start. Don't know if it will be this year, but Strouth has been a very good RB and worked his butt off to return from his injury. Chapell may get more carries in any given game but it won't matter who starts.

Yup and I like it. He is a senior (Jr. cuz of Medical hardship) and Chapell will likely get the same reps. Smart move for the program. The message is that if you put in your time you will be rewarded. I would also get Tom Loegering on the field for the same reason. Over the years we have lost too many kids who hang it up after a year, two or three because they don't get any playing time and don't think hanging in there until they are seniors will make a difference.. When those kids quit it hurts your depth and it eventually hurts your recruiting. These guys also tend to have leadership skills and can be valuable in bringing along your younger stars. I like what Dale is doing. At some point in time Chapell will start. Don't know if it will be this year, but Strouth has been a very good RB and worked his butt off to return from his injury. Chapell may get more carries in any given game but it won't matter who starts.

I don't necessarily want to bury Strouth on the depth chart, but I really have to question whether he's healthy. Through four games, his per carry average is roughly half of his career average. I could dismiss it after a game or two, but we're now nearly halfway through the regular season. The line seems to be opening holes for Chappell, which would seem to suggest that perhaps the problem lies with Strouth having lost a step or two since his surgery?

I don't necessarily want to bury Strouth on the depth chart, but I really have to question whether he's healthy. Through four games, his per carry average is roughly half of his career average. I could dismiss it after a game or two, but we're now nearly halfway through the regular season. The line seems to be opening holes for Chappell, which would seem to suggest that perhaps the problem lies with Strouth having lost a step or two since his surgery?

Good point.

I've been thinking the same thing about Strouth. I wonder if he might be more effective if he became more of third-down back or utilized more as a pass-catcher out of the backfield. He has good hands.

How many carries has he actually had this season? I doesn't seem like it has been pretty limited for him, even though he is the starter.

How many carries has he actually had this season? I doesn't seem like it has been pretty limited for him, even though he is the starter.

35 carries for 82 yards. I think it's important to keep in mind that UND still has Beatty, who was a 1000 yard rusher last year but has just three carries so far this year, and Brady, who was number one on the depth chart until a few days before the opener. Even though I like Strouth, I feel like if he's not 100% healthy, or if he's not producing at or near the level of his 2004 season, then Beatty and/or Brady should be getting more carries. I like the constrasting styles of Chappell with more of a power back, rather than two smaller, speedy backs sharing the carries.

QUOTE(iramurphy @ Sep 27 2006, 11:55 AM)

QUOTE(UND92,96 @ Sep 27 2006, 10:05 AM)

Press release for the UND-Augie game. Looking at the depth chart, I'm assuming it's just a matter of nobody bothering to update it since last week. Is it really possible that Strouth is still ahead of Chappell given the huge disparity between their numbers so far this year?

DO you not remember the catch and run against northen iowa that helped us win the game...

Strouth is a major piece to this program...case closed

QUOTE(iramurphy @ Sep 27 2006, 11:55 AM)

QUOTE(UND92,96 @ Sep 27 2006, 10:05 AM)

DO you not remember the catch and run against northen iowa that helped us win the game...

Strouth is a major piece to this program...case closed

I don't think it's worth arguing about, but how about this: Chris Beatty is a 6th-year senior, gained over a 1000 yards last year, and isn't getting any time this year. If Strouth is as hobbled as it appears he might be, what's wrong with letting Beatty play more? In the scheme of things, is Beatty any less of a "major piece of the puzzle" than is Strouth?

This is the classic "trap" game for the Sioux. Midseason, loss won"t really hurt as far as conference implications(i.e. still control destiny), but the Sioux need to be sharp and ready to play tomorrow. Everytime we play augie, it is a meatgrinder game and winning this game could be the difference between an undefeated run and having a grueling playoff schedule. I am as nervous about this game as any they have had this season??