SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux at Northern Iowa

Shawn-O

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff Kolpack weighs in on the Sioux win. link. Does anyone know for certain whether WDAZ seriously considered televising?

Has much as I would have loved to watch the game on TV, Dan Hammer & Tony Stein did a great job of bringing the emotion of the game on the radio. Watched the highlights last night...the speed of this team is something...most of them are actually from North Dakota...very cool.

Does anyone know for certain whether WDAZ seriously considered televising?

I had emailed Pat Sweeney about a month ago to ask about the TV schedule and specifically the UNI game. He replied and said that they looked into it but UNI wanted a rights fee "in the very high 5 figures". He did say that any other local station can televise any Sioux games that WDAZ declines to pick up, so perhaps we should remember that in the future.

This just in... NDSU isn't Cal. Supposedly Cal has the best chance of anybody in the Pac 10 to dethrone USC as conference champs. Not saying I'm buying into that theory, but you simply can't try to make a case for NDSU having a chance based on what happened vs. Cal.

You can make a case for them because they are pretty good and the Gophers are not. Gophers should win but don't bet your house. (or in the case of the AC and U of Minn grads don't bet the double wide). I think the AC will play well and give the Gophers every thing they want and more. Pretty hard to predict a win because the AC hasn't played anybody. The Lutheran prep school from St. Paul they manhandled, got kicked by Augie Saturday so it is hard to judge how good they are. Good luck to them. If they can knock off the Gophers in FB it will give them something else to crow about for a couple of years and then those who have been saying how the Gophers will blow them away will be able to say the Gophers are not even a DIII caliber school so it doesn't count. Dave K will have to go to the AC thread and tell them he was wrong and offer to buy season tickets and enroll in one of the manure shoveling classes after hours or on line. They may give him credits for your previous work similar to AP classes. Dave K doesn't dislike the Bison radicals any less than I do but there is a time to let it go and be gracious. Don't forget to separate the media and the radicals from their fans. Have fun with them but when they come on and are gracious accept it with class. Their folks have done so and a number of them have been insightful in the D1 discussions. The only thing worse than a sore loser is a winner with no class.

I hope Sioux MD didn't get court-martialed for firing off his weapon after the UND win Saturday. Find one of the Medics and have them clean that thing for you so it is ready in case you ever need it. Thanks for your service and Godspeed.

For those who are Minnesota fans, the comeback against UNI was similar to one in the Mn HS championship in 2001 when Detroit Lakes kept coming back against Mankato East and won at the end of the game. QB was the same in both games and same comments were made about his leadership and keeping his cool. Also nice job by Belmore. UND didn't miss a beat with him in the game. Gotta get back to work.

I had emailed Pat Sweeney about a month ago to ask about the TV schedule and specifically the UNI game. He replied and said that they looked into it but UNI wanted a rights fee "in the very high 5 figures". He did say that any other local station can televise any Sioux games that WDAZ declines to pick up, so perhaps we should remember that in the future.

I'm just a bit disappointed in the fact that WDAZ/FSSN simply doesn't televise road football games, except for the playoffs. Last year, for example, it would have been very nice to have the USD game on. Two years ago, the game at SCSU should have been on given the fact that it's close, it was sold-out, it didn't conflict with a hockey broadcast, and it was kind of a rivalry game. If UNI wanted too much money for televising, I can't really blame WDAZ/FSSN, but I would find it far easier to give them the benefit of the doubt if they'd be a bit more aggressive in pursuing at least one road game per year for TV.

I'm just a bit disappointed in the fact that WDAZ/FSSN simply doesn't televise road football games, except for the playoffs. Last year, for example, it would have been very nice to have the USD game on. Two years ago, the game at SCSU should have been on given the fact that it's close, it was sold-out, it didn't conflict with a hockey broadcast, and it was kind of a rivalry game. If UNI wanted too much money for televising, I can't really blame WDAZ/FSSN, but I would find it far easier to give them the benefit of the doubt if they'd be a bit more aggressive in pursuing at least one road game per year for TV.

Especially in the upcoming years as we will be making lots of road trips to areas not easily traveled to by the average ND, MN WI Sioux fan.