SiouxSports.com Forum

New NDUS Chancellor Named-former NDSU Professor

IowaBison

I guess this is as good a place as any to post this link:

HIGHER EDUCATION:

Chancellor to Chapman -- You tried to sabotage me

NDSU president rejects charges in evaluation

North Dakota's departing chancellor believes North Dakota State University President Joseph Chapman tried to sabotage him and the state's public college system during the past year, an evaluation says.

"It appears to me that you have been engaged in a calculated effort to undermine the effectiveness of the North Dakota University System, and particularly me, as chancellor," Robert Potts wrote in Chapman's annual evaluation.

Chapman rejected Potts' description of events, saying in a written response that the chancellor had "mistaken honest dissent as tantamount to subversion."

The document does not list examples of how Chapman allegedly tried to subvert the university system or Potts' authority. In an interview Wednesday, Chapman said Potts telephoned him to discuss the evaluation and did not mention specific objections.

"I'm trying to keep our institution and the system moving forward," Chapman said. "I'm trying to be positive . . . I'm trying to move on. I think we have important work to do in the university system, and certainly here at NDSU, and we need to get on with doing it." Potts said he discussed a list of examples with Chapman during a July 26 telephone call. The chancellor declined to elaborate about what they were.

Although he didn't want to, I'm glad that Potts completed Chapman's evaluation and included criticisms of his behavior.

There is really nothing new in the evaluation, but I think it is important to have this information in print.

I also feel that Chapman's response was 'very well worded'.

HIGHER EDUCATION:

Chancellor to Chapman -- You tried to sabotage meIn an interview Wednesday, Chapman said Potts telephoned him to discuss the evaluation and did not mention specific objections.

Potts said he discussed a list of examples with Chapman during a July 26 telephone call. The chancellor declined to elaborate about what they were.

Given Chapman's on record lying (it was either to the AG or to the press), I believe this is another example of his bending the truth, avoiding the truth, not telling the truth, not remembering the truth, aw, the hell with it!! He's just plain old lying AGAIN!!

moowha-ha-ha-ha-ha

a former vice president for the Greater North Dakota Chamber of Commerce and agricultural economics professor at North Dakota State University.

You got the first three letters of your post right. ;)???

A former NDSU faculty member, who lives in Fargo, who Paulson pushed for, isn't going to help the perceptions in the skeptical quarters on this topic. We're all going to have wonderful time come the Legislative session ... not.

You got the first three letters of your post right. ;)???

A former NDSU faculty member, who lives in Fargo, who Paulson pushed for, isn't going to help the perceptions in the skeptical quarters on this topic. We're all going to have wonderful time come the Legislative session ... not.

I think that on the surface that might be true. Dunn has seen the problems Chapman has caused and believes in the team approach. Potts was kind to Chapman and has 20-30 incidences of insubordination and Chapman's trouble with the truth that Dunn is well aware of. The word is that even Paulson (who I would not trust) has agreed Chapman has created problems and will need to be brought in to the fold. One of Pott's mistakes was that he didn't not take his concerns to a public meeting because he and the board thought Paulsen was going to bring Chapman under control and it wouldn't be in the best interest of the State to air the dirty laundry. Clayberg from Grand Forks is just as much to blame, as she let her dislike for Kupchella cloud her opinion of Chapman and she did anything Paulsen wished. The board has agreed they could be in trouble with the legislature but it will be interesting to see if there is change.

I think unless Paulsen undermines him, Dunn will do a good job.

• 4 months later...
Chancellor to Chapman -- You tried to sabotage me

NDSU president rejects charges in evaluation

Seems the Fargo Forum is attempting to recreate North Dakota into some kind of Banana Republic, with their first-ever Man of the Year award. Apparently, the Forum strongly approves of underhandedness and backstabbing as character attributes. :silly:

The First Ever Forum Person of the Year:

His decision to move NDSU to Division I athletics status, in particular, has propelled the school, and Fargo, into the national spotlight.

And while Chapman

Seems the Fargo Forum is attempting to recreate North Dakota into some kind of Banana Republic, with their first-ever Man of the Year award. Apparently, the Forum strongly approves of underhandedness and backstabbing as character attributes. :silly:

You have to admire the Forum's attempt to head off what's sure to be an interesting legislative session by canonizing Chapman.

I can name five other area folks, off the top of my head, more deserving based on events of the past year:

- the Carlson twins

- Drew Wrigley (federal prosecutor)

- Dean Ross (chief of police in Valley City)

- A. Rodriguez Jr. (you don't always have to be a nice guy to win Person of the Year)

Seems the Fargo Forum is attempting to recreate North Dakota into some kind of Banana Republic, with their first-ever Man of the Year award. Apparently, the Forum strongly approves of underhandedness and backstabbing as character attributes. :lol:

At least they're consistent:

While the ND AP sports writers considered UND's moniker fight with the NCAA the most important story in 2006 in ND sports, the Forum give that distinction to (su-prise, su-prise :lol:) NDSU Athletics during the past year.

• 2 weeks later...

Amendment would give chancellor greater powers

A proposed constitutional amendment would give the chancellor of North Dakota's university system broad powers, including the authority to hire and fire the presidents of its colleges.

The amendment, introduced by Rep. Bob Skarphol, R-Tioga, stems from the Board of Higher Education's handling of a dispute with former Chancellor Robert Potts that led to Potts' resignation last August.

Too much power for an individual person. Keep it within the SBoHE.

We don't need two parties running the NDUS. Get rid of the Chancellor

position all together and just strengthen the board, so it can get the job done.

I'm sure though, this will lose by a landslide. :whistling:

This bill makes sense to me. There are checks and balances, here. The college faculty and staff are responsible to the President, the Presidents are responsible to the Chancellor and then the Chancellor is responsible to the SBofHE. You need the geographically spread college Presidents responsible to someone who has day to day access to issues of Higher Education. That is the Chancellor (or should be). The SBofHE are lay people with full time jobs (usually) spread throughout the state. You do not want them micro-managing the system in that context. Plus they only meet a few times yearly. Yet, if the Chancellor oversteps his bounds, is negligent or cannot do the job properly, the SBofHE can deal with him/her on that basis. Whether that be firing, not rehiring or reprimanding.