SiouxSports.com Forum

Satellite Move for The Fighting Sioux Sports Network

cheesemover

If you have Dish Network or DirecTv you can't get it.

The setup is called free to air which consists of a 30" or larger dish, a FTA receiver and a LNB. If you remember the old "big dish" (C-band) it was able to be moved to different satellites in the sky. The new verison is KU Band (30" or larger dish). You aim it at the satellite that the Sioux use to beam up the feed to the cable companies and pick up the signal. The "Feed" is up from 15 minutes before game time (they literally flip a switch and turn the juice on) to about 5 minutes after then **poof** its gone.

THanks for the info. Now I am not calling myself mentally slow anymore :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I recently had a Pansat 2700A receiver installed with a 1 meter dish. It is not motorized and we are going to use it exclusively for FSSN games. This past Saturday I tried every scan I could imagine and could not find the football game. First, was it on? Second, is there any list of other channels on that particular satellite (IA8)

that I could check to verify that the dish is aimed correctly?

Part of my problem is that the installer only works Mon- Fri and the games are never on when he's available.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

I recently had a Pansat 2700A receiver installed with a 1 meter dish. It is not motorized and we are going to use it exclusively for FSSN games. This past Saturday I tried every scan I could imagine and could not find the football game. First, was it on?

yep it was on. Came up at 12:45 and went off about 4:00

Second, is there any list of other channels on that particular satellite (IA8)

that I could check to verify that the dish is aimed correctly?

sure. There are 2 24/7 channels on there and socme scrambled

scrambled stuff is at 11780 H 29000 (frequency, polarity, symbol rate)

ABCNewsNow and ABCNewsOne are at 11955 V 3978 & 11960 V 3978 respectivelly

Part of my problem is that the installer only works Mon- Fri and the games are never on when he's available.

thats not good. Do a "smart scan" and select "all" for channels. Do a scan and let us know what channels you get. Then we can tell if tis aimed right

With the Traxis DBS 3500

Instead of using USALS switch to DiSEqC 1.2. then move East and West to peak the signal, when you get the max quality you can get number and store the position, then it will be bang on!

Ok, my wife and I have looked through this entire post and seen all sorts of stuff on this satellite and have been quite overwhelmed. Can anyone or a few people sum it all up what we need to do to get the home games? We currently have cable and do not plan on getting satellite from a provider.

-Do you need a current satellite provider?

-Do you need to buy a receiver for the dish?

-How much does it cost for all the equipment needed and what all do you need?

-What kind of dish do you need?

-Should it be professionally installed and if so how much does that normally run?

-What kind of programming are you able to get and how much does it cost for the programming?

-How frequent do the satellites get changed and do the satellite dish positions need to be changed professionally and when this happens and do you need a new dish/equipment if the satellite changes?

If there is any other information you can provide outside the questions I asked, that would be great. We live in Montana if anyone has any information on any good satellite installers. Thanks everyone!

Ok, my wife and I have looked through this entire post and seen all sorts of stuff on this satellite and have been quite overwhelmed. Can anyone or a few people sum it all up what we need to do to get the home games? We currently have cable and do not plan on getting satellite from a provider.

Do you need a current satellite provider?

Do you need to buy a receiver for the dish?

How much does it cost for all the equipment needed and what all do you need?

What kind of dish do you need?

Should it be professionally installed and if so how much does that normally run?

What kind of programming are you able to get and how much does it cost for the programming?

How frequent do the satellites get changed and do the satellite dish positions need to be changed professionally and when this happens and do you need a new dish/equipment if the satellite changes?

If there is any other information you can provide outside the questions I asked, that would be great. We live in Montana if anyone has any information on any good satellite installers. Thanks everyone!

FTA satellite is FREE and 110% legal, there is NO ONE to pay after you have purchased and installed the system.

Its best to hire an Pro installer that has done Ku installs if you have any doubts. Its harder than a DirecTV installation.

You will need at LEAST a 30" dish and Ku LNB together with the DVB receiver, expect to pay $195 SHIPPED for a system.

I charge $135 for local installs here in my area, that should help ball park a price of an install. Its BEST to use a LICENSED installer! ;)

With the above basic system you will get all the Home games plus 2 ABC news channels. Channels come and go all the time, but with a "fixed system"you are limited to whats on ONE satellite. Add a motor to the system and there are HUNDREDS of channels FTA, including some away games and others teams and sports, who needs the Sunday ticket! news feeds, local channels from other areas, SPORTS..... too mauch to list, I like the LIVE SPORTS and LIVE MUSIC, just watched every minute of FARMAID a few weeks ago for example!

There is also a mini receiver (Still need the dish and LNB ) available that lets you watch FTA on your PC, and works like a mini Tivo where you can digitaly record any FTA sports or shows, and even has a timer, FF RW....

Its called the DVB World USB Receiver( expect to pay $105 shipped) if you have a motor you can get HD with it, and 4:2:2 video many sports feeds use 4:2:2

Down side of FTA is you take what you get, channels come and go but you can expect 1000's of HOURS of entertainment for free.

Main thing is to make sure you have a way to get the system installed, thats the hardest part. MANY here have managed it and WE are all here to help! But there is no shame in hiring a Pro LICENSED Satellite Installer.

GO SIOUX!

no

yes. A system would be a dish and receiver

couple hundred for a basic system...little more for a motorized

30" dish and a free to air receiver.

-Should it be professionally installed and if so how much does that normally run?

you can do self install but PSB gave you a ballpark figure

-What kind of programming are you able to get and how much does it cost for the programming?
whatever you pick up is FREEEEE. Some people have it just for Sioux games. Whent he season is over, the box gets unplugged until October. PSB mentioned the other channels and I mentioned MOntana sports. Also some other games pop up here and there

-How frequent do the satellites get changed and do the satellite dish positions need to be changed professionally and when this happens and do you need a new dish/equipment if the satellite changes?

The Sioux have the same satellite info this year. They have been on the same satellite for 2 years now. If they change satellites, then you may have to move the dish, but like i say, this year they're on the same satellite all year

• Downvote 1

I think it is normal for us to be "overwhelmed" when looking at this FTA stuff. I know I was for 2 years while thinking about whether I should get it or not. It is the best $257 I have ever spent and now wish I would have got it sooner. I have cable as well so I can watch regular programing.

I bought the motorized Traxis 3500 kit from PSB. One thing with a motorized is that you don't have to go out on the roof to move the dish. Sure, I think it was an extra ~$100 for the motorized version. But it is well worth it. I bought it primarily for the Sioux games but having the motor has opened it up to much more programming, all free!

There are many others out there who sell this stuff. But email PSB and he will get you started in the right direction. Very nice and helpful. He won't be able to help you install it in person as he is in a different state like me. But he will certainly email or talk to you on the phone with helpful instructions to get you started. I had the benefit of having a directv installer help me. Just look in the phone book for satellite installers around you. If not, you could just do it yourself. I know I could have, just would have taken longer.

Iceberg:

Thanks for your input. I let my satellite guys know that they could find any info they needed on this board. They were over Thursday to re-aim the dish and after a "smart scan" I now have the FSSN locked in. No more going to boring NMU games here in Marquette if I can be anti-social and sit in my living room and watch the Sioux!

By the way, team, Nice Game tonight. Let's get the sweep tomorrow!

For those satellite viewers out there, I found out the CN8 is broadcasting the Dartmouth Tournament and apparently they are/might be FTA. I'm no expert, but I found this link showing where CN8 is. Hope it works our for you. I know they show a lot of other games out of New England as well (Hockey East and ECAC).

http://www.lyngsat.com/amc1.html

Check under 3940V

Hope this helps.

For those satellite viewers out there, I found out the CN8 is broadcasting the Dartmouth Tournament and apparently they are/might be FTA. I'm no expert, but I found this link showing where CN8 is. Hope it works our for you. I know they show a lot of other games out of New England as well (Hockey East and ECAC).

http://www.lyngsat.com/amc1.html

Check under 3940V

Hope this helps.

Looks like its FTA but its a C-Band freq. (4 digits) so would require at LEAST a 6' dish

No problem for me and Iceberg ;)