SiouxSports.com Forum

Behind the early exits

PCM

Brad Schossman has a good article in today's Herald on the record number of college players leaving for the pros and whether the trend is likely to continue.

COLLEGE HOCKEY: Behind the early exits

College hockey is losing more underclassmen than ever before. Will the trend continue?

But the number of players leaving has been increasing, and it has fans wondering if college hockey will eventually become like college basketball - which is seeing players leave younger and with more frequency.

Sheehy, who has negotiated entry-level contracts for many Sioux players, says he doesn't think so.

"Every case is different," he said. "Some guys don't like school and want to leave. Sometimes it's reactionary, where guys see everyone else going, so they think they have to. But I think with a signing bonus of $85,000, there is more incentive for a kid to stay in school."

Brad Schossman has a good article in today's Herald on the record number of college players leaving for the pros and whether the trend is likely to continue.

COLLEGE HOCKEY: Behind the early exits

College hockey is losing more underclassmen than ever before. Will the trend continue?

"To me, college hockey is tremendous," Sheehy said. "It's better than it has ever been. I get a sense from NHL teams that college is as good as the AHL."
I thought that comment was interesting.

That's gotta be a load of bull as if it were true, why would NHL teams have signed so many underclassmen this year? If they are pretty much the same, why pay a player to develop in the AHL when they can develop in college for free?

i'd imagine many of the players who signed early will play at least some in the nhl. it's the ability to have them at their disposal immediately if the team needs it.

That's gotta be a load of bull as if it were true, why would NHL teams have signed so many underclassmen this year? If they are pretty much the same, why pay a player to develop in the AHL when they can develop in college for free?

It doesn't cost them much and they don't risk losing the kid later if he decides not to sign. And one benefit of having them in your system is you have more control over their development.

Heck, I'm just taking a stab here. But it sounds good to me.

With a max signing bonus of less than 90k, it probably makes some sense for some NHL teams, like Chicago, to use a funnel approach. They can sign a raft of players, and it really doesn't cost them much to see who is going to make it down the road. However, I think more pragmatic teams like New Jersey, Colorado, etc. are probably looking at long-term development and get the most for their money.

Honestly I think fans of every team, including UND, should still be nervous. In cases where both the player and the team have publicly said they are commited to college this season, such as Toews, Skille and EJ, I think the commitment is fairly certain. In any other situation, teams could still get bitten, as CC just did.

I think Kariya left halfway through his sophomore season, and of course Calgary famously tried to woo Chucko last year. Did Pettinger leave DU mid-season a while ago? Not sure.

Anyway, it is a brave new world, and I suppose Calgary's attempts last year could be a warning shot to all of college hockey that things are different now. Only time will tell.

For the most part I expect that it will continue to be a rare event, as teams won't want to put their prospects in the uncomfortable position of abandoning their current teammates.

I think Kariya left halfway through his sophomore season, and of course Calgary famously tried to woo Chucko last year. Did Pettinger leave DU mid-season a while ago? Not sure.

Anyway, it is a brave new world, and I suppose Calgary's attempts last year could be a warning shot to all of college hockey that things are different now. Only time will tell.

For the most part I expect that it will continue to be a rare event, as teams won't want to put their prospects in the uncomfortable position of abandoning their current teammates.

Yeah. Drafted by Calgary is the kiss of death to any WCHA recruit seemingly. Then again, it is the Sutters that are running the show there and they are notoriously biased.