SiouxSports.com Forum

Hope this doesn't happen at North Dakota

JESUS,family,rutgers

Despite record crowds,donations, television money,merchandise sales, and a bowl game, Rutgers has announced we are eliminating six of our thirty Division 1 sports. The upcoming seasons will be the final ones for men's tennis, men's heavyweight crew,men's lightweight crew, women's fencing,men's fencing, and men's swimming and diving. The crew program goes back to the 1860's. The skyrocketing costs of running a Division 1 program seem to have no end in sight. I hope none of the current Sioux teams are eliminated as the university moves toward Division 1 status in all sports.

GO SCARLET KNIGHTS!

GO FIGHTING SIOUX!

That's surprising. I would have thought with a reinvigorated football program, there would be more funds coming in. Although looking at the sports I'd have to see it looks like Title IX at work.

I too hope that no UND sports meet their demise, but I'd say that baseball and softball will likely be on the chopping block due to the weather difficulties up here.

Hello nodakvindy,

The RU athletic department has been juggling money for years to keep 30 sports running, but the state just cut funding to the university by almost $100 million for the upcoming year. Tuition is going up 8% and the cost for an in-state student living on campus is now about $17,000. New Jersey is one of the best state's in the nation for supporting elementary and high schools,but one of the worst in supporting public colleges. Even without the big state cut, this was going to happen sooner or later.

JFR- I can understand cutting sports to try to keep the others "afloat" but cutting crew is a big blow (the biggest blow IMO to RU). I know crew means little to us Midwesterners, but it is HUGE in New England, parts of the East Coast, and even overseas (I hear Oxford is heavy into crew). I'm not sure how popular exactly crew is at RU, but one doesn't eliminate a sport at a University that dates back over 100 years and have people just shrug and say "Oh well."

What do the boosters have to say about this, JFR?

JFR- I can understand cutting sports to try to keep the others "afloat" but cutting crew is a big blow (the biggest blow IMO to RU). I know crew means little to us Midwesterners, but it is HUGE in New England, parts of the East Coast, and even overseas (I hear Oxford is heavy into crew). I'm not sure how popular exactly crew is at RU, but one doesn't eliminate a sport at a University that dates back over 100 years and have people just shrug and say "Oh well."

What do the boosters have to say about this, JFR?

The problem with crew is that it costs an astronimical amount of money to have, and doesn't bring in very much. The costs come from the boats, as well as storing the boats. From what I've heard, the buildings to store these boats are in the millions to construct. Also, imagine the cost of transporting these boats. I'm pretty sure you won't see 15-20,000 people at a rowing contest, so it is time for crew to go. Crew had its moment in time, as is obvious by it having been started back in the 1860's, but just because something has been done for over 100 years doesn't mean it should still be done. Polo used to be big to, but times change and so do peoples' tastes. And is bad is New Jersey is doing financially (recent closure of Atlantic City as an example), I can see why some cuts had to be made in giving. I don't think you will see either of the ND schools cut any programs due to a minimum amount, which I believe to be 16, to be in Division I.

There have been alumni from the men's swimming program who said they can gather enough money to keep the swimmimg/diving program going. The athletic department said under NCAA rules they can only use that money if the university also keeps a women's sport, even if all the money for the swimming program came from donations. This doesn't make any sense to me, but apparently this is an NCAA/Title Nine rule.

but I thought Division I was the promised land??? ;) I thought it was just one happy land!!! (That's why we moved....those ag college dorks seemed "so happy")

Now we have someone saying....EHH, not so much!?! Thanks for your honesty JF&R!! You ROCK!! :angry:

GO SCARLET KNIGHTS!!!

Go Fighting Sioux!!

but I thought Division I was the promised land??? ;) I thought it was just one happy land!!! (That's why we moved....those ag college dorks seemed "so happy")

Now we have someone saying....EHH, not so much!?! Thanks for your honesty JF&R!! You ROCK!! ;)

GO SCARLET KNIGHTS!!!

Go Fighting Sioux!!

Why in the world would you follow the ag college? I guess some schools lead and some follow! :angry:

Despite record crowds,donations, television money,merchandise sales, and a bowl game, Rutgers has announced we are eliminating six of our thirty Division 1 sports. The upcoming seasons will be the final ones for men's tennis, men's heavyweight crew,men's lightweight crew, women's fencing,men's fencing, and men's swimming and diving. The crew program goes back to the 1860's. The skyrocketing costs of running a Division 1 program seem to have no end in sight. I hope none of the current Sioux teams are eliminated as the university moves toward Division 1 status in all sports.

GO SCARLET KNIGHTS!

GO FIGHTING SIOUX!

D-I requires 14 sports minimum. Rutger's plays Bowl football, translation, 85 men's schollies that need to be off-set by women's sports. Of 6 sports eliminated, 5 are men's sports. Surprised that a "founding" program, Crew is being eliminated.

Personally, I believe that the Sioux should eliminate baseball, softball, and go, as suggested to LaX, both men's and women's, and certainly women's to start. Your thread on here describes why.

Mid-con, about 2011, should be where you end up. GWFC in 2009. Big Sky = Big Tease. Until Sac St, Portland St. Prez publicly support Dakota schools, Big Sky is a Big Dream. Does ANYBODY AT UND truly believe that UND and NDSU won't be in the same conference? Likewise, because they're in such lockstep with each other, I don't foresee a time when NDSU/SDSU aren't in the same conference!

By 2020, the Mid-con is going to become the move up NCC, with a few other schools is my expectations. And it'll take 14 years before I'm proven right or wrong. :angry: