SiouxSports.com Forum

UND declaring internal Division 1 move

D1sioux

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) UND has held press conferences before to announce what they 'weren't going to do'

2) If the announcement comes as some of you believe it will, announce pseudo-move today/delay exploratory year to '07-'08, (which is the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a while), I think I'll die laughing.

1) UND has held press conferences before to announce what they 'weren't going to do'

2) If the announcement comes as some of you believe it will, announce pseudo-move today/delay exploratory year to '07-'08, (which is the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a while), I think I'll die laughing.

Is that a promise? :silly:

will I literally die, probably not.

will it be one of the funniest things I've heard of in a long time, yes (and I don't mean ha-ha funny)

Delaying the exploratory year until next year would be a good idea. Why would that be funny for you? The Bison did it. It gives the school a chance to get it's financial house in order (i.e., big donors), gives student-athletes a chance to transfer if need be. The problem is, now that UND is going to make the move, you're moving the bar a little bit to try and make it look foolish.

not moving anything.

NDSU delayed the move to give other schools the opportunity to assess their situation in the hopes they would move.

To declare that you are moving DI and simultaneously declare that you will wait to begin the exploratory year because you need to study the issue further, which is the entire point of the exploratory year, is CRAZY!

If you're not sure, but want to study the issue further-declare '06-'07 your exploratory year.

If you are sure, but want to study the issue further-declare '06-'07 your exploratory year.

If UND waits until '07-'08 for their exploratory year all they will have done is lost a year, in my opinion.

I'm with IowaBison for all the reasons Bob listed here.

Announcing an exploratory year for a year from now would only cause harm (in recruiting, scheduling, and conference-hunting).

Unless we spent that year trying to convince partners to jump with us (as did NDSU), it would be a complete waste of another unnecessary year to the transition process. If we want to take another year to explore what I-AA would be like before committing, that's precisely what the exploratory year is for!

Unless we spent that year trying to convince partners to jump with us (as did NDSU), it would be a complete waste of another unnecessary year to the transition process.

I thought of that too, but it doesn't seem to be the reason.

It would be fantastic if UND could get another school (or three) to move with them.

Wow...I guess my source was correct!!! This will kill recruiting IMO....if your going to do it .....dont delay!!!

Does it strike anyone odd that when this press conference is held....the AD is on vacation??? The person who is pushing for this is not around?? Does that seem odd to anyone else??

To declare that you are moving DI and simultaneously declare that you will wait to begin the exploratory year because you need to study the issue further, which is the entire point of the exploratory year, is CRAZY!

If you're not sure, but want to study the issue further-declare '06-'07 your exploratory year.

If you are sure, but want to study the issue further-declare '06-'07 your exploratory year.

If UND waits until '07-'08 for their exploratory year all they will have done is lost a year, in my opinion.

Absolutely, 100% right on the money.

It is complete and utter lunacy at this point to officially announce a move to D-I and then not really do it for another year. I guess it's par for the course with the leadership that is at this university right now. ???

Wow...I guess my source was correct!!! This will kill recruiting IMO....if your going to do it .....dont delay!!!

Does it strike anyone odd that when this press conference is held....the AD is on vacation??? The person who is pushing for this is not around?? Does that seem odd to anyone else??

Buning is not on vacation. He's at a conference of Athletic Directors.

It is complete and utter lunacy at this point to officially announce a move to D-I and then not really do it for another year. I guess it's par for the course with the leadership that is at this university right now. ???

Do you have access to the exact same information that UND's leadership used to make its decsion? Because unless you do, you're simply blowing hot air.

Absolutely, 100% right on the money.

I disagree with you, 100%. This leadership, which has taken its fair share of criticisms, is making a move that very, very few people ever thought they'd make. I applaud them for this. The extra year will allow them to get everything in order.

Am I happy with the delay? No. Do I believe admin has reasons for it? Yes.

As best I can figure, by reading and listening to a lot of information about what UND is doing, is this:

- the college of business is just closing out a $20 million dollar fundraising campaign

- another department (?) fundraising campaign is winding down now also

- Tim O'Keefe was on KNOX not long ago talking about an upcoming major fundraising campaign for all of UND

-
Strat Plan II
(Action Area H, Goal 3) talks about having a $500 million dollar endowment for UND by 2012. (That's a number O'Keefe used also.)

My analysis is that UND is looking to kick off one major (five-year?) fundraising campaign (coinciding with the 125th anniversary of UND) for the future of all of UND.

Is long-term fiscal soundness worth a potential short-term dip in recruiting? I'd have to grumble out a "yes".