SiouxSports.com Forum

DI Task Force Report

dmksioux

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually we learned quite a bit. Tom Buning said now is the time to go D-1. He said if he were asked by President Kupchella for his personal opinion, he said he'd tell him that D-1 is now the way to go and that D2 is costing too much money with too little return.

Wow...if he did in fact say that...this is a totally different message than he is giving his coaching staff...imagine that...different day different answer.

He did, in fact say that. And quite a bit more.

I don't believe anyone has posted the DI Task Force Report that was forwarded to Kupchella. Here is a link. Let me know if it has been posted.

Hopefully the link works...not sure if I did it right.

Thanks for posting. A much more supportive report for moving to I-AA than expected. Here's one potential rival school supporter that would enjoy getting back into competition with you again. Good luck in deciding.

... D2 is costing too much money with too little return.

I've heard Buning speak about cost v. return in DI v. DII terms in front of his coaches (at a Sioux Boosters meeting). He was talking about the guarantees even low-level NSIC teams want to play BB v. UND at the time.

I just want to know if we are adding lacrosse... :lol:

The word "lacrosse" shows up twice in the main report on page 25.

In some of the supporting documents it says it would cost about $2.5 million for an on-campus baseball stadium and about $1.5 million for an on-campus softball stadium. The Al is lax ready. :D;)

What else was said?

(please don't make me wait till tomorrow to read about it in the paper...)

Among other things: He said with NDSU, SDSU, and UNC gone, the NCC is not the same, and that there aren't the same quality schools to replace them. Also, he said upon arriving at UND, he's learned that being at the top of D2 is not offering enough rewards. That the cost of D2 is increasing and so why not spend a little more and go D1, where the rewards and privilages are far greater. He was very direct and straight forward with his comments.

Here's what Buning had to say at today's conference. Buning

Not really. Buning never said anything about conference affiliation. The last paragraph is a fallacy. Dr. Boyd said that UND realizes they won't be asked to join a conference until they state their intentions. This AP report lacks several of the key items I've already mentioned.

Not really. Buning never said anything about conference affiliation. The last paragraph is a fallacy. Dr. Boyd said that UND realizes they won't be asked to join a conference until they state their intentions. This AP report lacks several of the key items I've already mentioned.

Thanks for your input as well since you were at the meeting...I can't believe the Heraldo would print something that isn't completely accurate ;)

I've heard Buning speak about cost v. return in DI v. DII terms in front of his coaches (at a Sioux Boosters meeting). He was talking about the guarantees even low-level NSIC teams want to play BB v. UND at the time.

My source(s) are 3 coaches in a coaches meeting.

Among other things: He said with NDSU, SDSU, and UNC gone, the NCC is not the same, and that there aren't the same quality schools to replace them. Also, he said upon arriving at UND, he's learned that being at the top of D2 is not offering enough rewards. That the cost of D2 is increasing and so why not spend a little more and go D1, where the rewards and privilages are far greater. He was very direct and straight forward with his comments.

more benefits as far as money but at what cost, getting border line athletes that no other d 1 school wants, hurt your over all team GPA is the cost worth the benefit....as well as losing some of your current coaches.....

more benefits as far as money but at what cost, getting border line athletes that no other d 1 school wants, hurt your over all team GPA is the cost worth the benefit....as well as losing some of your current coaches.....

Actually most of those costs would seem to be the cost of staying division 2. Getting ndsu's leftovers for athletes and losing probably the most successful coach in the athletic department in Dale Lennon.

I'd say that the majority of athletes currently at UND would be unwanted by most DI schools. A move to

DI would most likely mean better athletes coming to UND.

What coaches? If UND remains DII, they are at far greater risk of losing Dale Lennon than if they went DI in my opinion. I don't know about Roebuck, but I'd think that after decades of domination, he'd be ready for a new challenge.

So in order to take football to D1AA people would be willing to sacrifice other programs and other coaches?? If Roebuck decided not to stick it out or any other coaches? Interesting...

Getting NDSU's leftovers?? I do not understand that comment....so you feel UND would be able to go head to head with Minnesota and get those kids Minnesota can get or cannot get as well as NDSU and Wyoming or Nebraska recruiting in this area as well?

It's only a matter of time before we start losing recruiting battles to ndsu in women's basketball like we are in other sports. Plus with Roebuck nearing retirement should we really sacrifice other successful programs like football and men's basketball so the women's basketball team can go 30-0 by beating the crap out of piss- poor schools. It's in the facts, before we lost to St. Cloud our closest game was against UMC- Crookston. Five years ago in football we got nearly every single athlete we went up against ndsu for and it showed as we dominated the series against them. They now have the ability to give full rides to their recruits and that's an advantage that means something with escalating tuition costs and they're kicking our ass in recruiting. It will take a few years to catch up because we're a few years behind in the transition, but we should be able to make up for lost time fairly quickly. We will be further behind the longer we wait and it will be harder to regain the lost corporate contributions and fans we lose by remaining D2. I really don't see where any of the other coaches other than Roebuck could have any opposition towards a D1 move. The new MBB coach should be all for it, I know Lennon is, Hakstol shouldn't be affected, and every other program is a minor program that depends on the success of revenue sports and corporate and alumni donations to sustain itself.

So in order to take football to D1AA people would be willing to sacrifice other programs and other coaches?? If Roebuck decided not to stick it out or any other coaches? Interesting...

Whattaya mean "sacrifice other programs"? Show me what programs at UND have had success at the Division II level other than Football, Basketball, and Swimming. I firmly believe these sports would be competetive at the next level. Personally I'd pay more attention to UND baseball, soccer, softball, and tennis if they were competing against Minnesota, Montana, or Northern Iowa than if they compete against Shippensburg or Upper Iowa.......even if they do lose.

Getting NDSU's leftovers?? I do not understand that comment....so you feel UND would be able to go head to head with Minnesota and get those kids Minnesota can get or cannot get as well as NDSU and Wyoming or Nebraska recruiting in this area as well?

No, but I expect UND to be in the running for the best North Dakota, western Minnesota, and even northern South Dakota athletes. It is a fact that UND football lost recruiting battles for the top 5 to 7 athletes on their wish list to NDSU this year. And IIRC, this is the first year in several years that there will not be any South Dakota athletes joining the football team. I doubt that this is all by some strange coincidence. If athletes that UND used to recruit continue to choose NDSU or SDSU because of the DI label, that means that UND will be forced to go after the recruits that Mayville, VCSU, and Jamestown College have traditionally gone after. No offense to those athletes, but is that the type of product you think The University of North Dakota should be putting on the football field or basketball court. Stop thinking of DI as only Notre Dame, Duke, and USC. The reality is that DI is vast and includes peers of UND such as NDSU, SDSU, UNC, Montana, Montana St., Northern Iowa, Creightion, etc., etc., etc. There are alot more schools in DI that resemble UND than are in DII.

My source(s) are 3 coaches in a coaches meeting.

Interesting.

My source was me sitting in a room with 60 other people, including a football, a basketball, and a hockey coach, all from UND, listening to Tom Buning.

He talked about how UM-Crookston wants a $4000 guarantee to come to GF and play basketball and how that's a 'bargain' considering Bemidji State wants $6000 to come to GF. He talked about how that money (any paid guarantee) is gone from UND and instead is building someone else's programs. He (rhetorically) asked if UND was getting the most possible value from that money. (He clearly wanted UND's money to build UND's programs. Who can blame him.)

It was rather interesting to listen to. Many of those issues hadn't been put out there that plainly before. I'm glad I was there to hear it. I still don't know if I'm convinced one way or another, but it did add to the total dialog on the issue.

Personally I'd pay more attention to UND baseball, soccer, softball, and tennis if they were competing against Minnesota, Montana, or Northern Iowa than if they compete against Shippensburg or Upper Iowa.......even if they do lose.

Don't forget about this (admittedly 'out there') notion. The DI Report says it'd take $2.5 million for a baseball stadium. Under this "drop baseball, add lacrosse" notion we'd have a facility already.