SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-US schools to join NCAA?

The Sicatoka

NCAA News link:

Committee members also will discuss establishing a working group to review issues related to permitting institutions outside the United States to join the NCAA. Current Association legislation requires members to be located within the United States or its territories or possessions, but institutions outside the United States occasionally have expressed interest in joining.

Interesting.

How about being able to hold the WCHA Final Five in MTS Centre in Winnipeg with U of Manitoba or U of Winnipeg as host?

How about having those two in a conference? Or Regina? Or Saskatchewan? Or any on this list?

Definitely interesting. I wonder what kind of effect it would have on Major Junior hockey if a bunch of Canadian schools joined the NCAA and fielded decent D-1 hockey teams. If it happened it would provide more regional competition for UND and the Minnesota schools. It would also probably benefit college hockey as a whole, too.

Definitely interesting. I wonder what kind of effect it would have on Major Junior hockey if a bunch of Canadian schools joined the NCAA and fielded decent D-1 hockey teams. If it happened it would provide more regional competition for UND and the Minnesota schools. It would also probably benefit college hockey as a whole, too.

IMO, the affect would harm Major Juniors and Major Juniors players too. As it stands right now the CIAU (Or that's what I think they call the Canadian College hockey system) is made up mainly of former Major Juniors players. Those who have either used up their eligibility in major juniors or are, for some other reason, no longer involved with major juniors. There are a few DI transfers and Junior A and B players in there, but not a whole lot. So, the affect would be the Canadian colleges, under the current NCAA DI rules, would have to basically all start from scratch and those players who are currently on the team would lose eligibility overnight.

IT would also harm Major Juniors as further dilluting the waters for Major Juniors. Now, don't get me wrong, Major Juniors still gets the majority of blue chip players, especially those from Canada and those who wish to play in North America from overseas. However, it will be a knife in the back by major Canadian institutions towards Major juniors. So, in sumation, it won't happen.

A British Columbia school, Simon Fraser, was NAIA affiliated and some years ago wanted to pursue NCAA membership. With Canadian content laws for broadcast media and the general discomfort, especially on Canadian campuses, towards American culture, hard to forsee a rush of Canadian colleges into the NCAA. Canadian football especially creates some issues. :D

I wish UND would come up to play one game here, there my favorite team, but its a drag to go to Grand Forks all the time jsut to go to a sioux game. That's why I only get to go to one a year. If there was any NCAA tournament up here in Winnipeg I would waste all of my money just to go to it.

I wish UND would come up to play one game here, there my favorite team, but its a drag to go to Grand Forks all the time jsut to go to a sioux game. That's why I only get to go to one a year. If there was any NCAA tournament up here in Winnipeg I would waste all of my money just to go to it.

It wouldn't be a waste.

I just made it on saturday u gotta wait jeez

By writing:

"look who won Bizatches" with photos of Wisconsin celebrating.

Your intent could have been "yes the WCHA won haha BC."

OR

"haha Sioux Fans Wisconsin won."

I think gf_siouxfan thought/thinks the latter.

• 2 weeks later...

This comes as a surprise, IMHO: the University of British Columbia may be interested in playing NCAA DI hockey and basketball. The implications to the college hockey world could be rather profound, if this happened.

Canadian colleges express interest in becoming members

Canada's University of British Columbia and St. Clair College have expressed interest in joining the association. The NCAA's highest policy-making group, the executive committee, asked for recommendations on the issue to be delivered in October.
UBC athletic director Bob Phillip, who traveled to Indianapolis last year to meet with NCAA officials, said Canadian television markets might be part of the attraction to the NCAA.

As for UBC, which has 40,000 students, Phillip said "the attraction for us is basketball and hockey in Division I." But he mentioned another motivation, one that has been a contentious issue for years in Canadian college sports -- what schools may give athletes.