SiouxSports.com Forum

Old Ralph

WiSioux

The old REA is one of the greatest arenas in the history of college hockey. The atmosphere was incredible, and the intimidation factor was very high. My first game there was in 1989 when the Sioux beat the Gophers 9-0. The Gophs won the next night 9-3. I made sure to go up there in November of 2000 so I could see the last series that Minnesota ever played in that building. It would be a shame to see it gone, but it's better than turning it into a women's b-ball and volleyball and men's wrestling arena like the "U" did to old Mariucci.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer the distraught gophers photo after it went in. Or even Briggs being a dumba$$ (thinking they already scored) with the puck in the crease for the third goal.

hc-celebration.jpg

or the players from HC celebrating after the goal.

wow...still hooked on that I see....

No fear, the "curse" or "blessing" (from the other side) will continue.....with how both teams have gotten hit so far (and prolly more) it could be an interesting year next year. Altho I think we don't play up ther enext year?

W

Thanks to you, the Sioux have a winning record at the new Ralph. :D

Maybe I should donate my ice to the cause and break the Gopher curse.

Well, You guys are getting better, it only took until the twenty fifth reply to this thread before someone brought up the Gophers. Usually it happens in the top ten. ;)

Maybe we'll (Goph fans) will have to start a BC/Denver/whoever takes you out next year fan club! :D

W

No loss could compare to the number 1 ranked team in the country losing to the number eight ranked team in the country!! "One of the biggest upsets in NCAA history"

Not even close!! ;)???

*Hockey fix, ahhhhh....calm now*

Maybe we'll (Goph fans) will have to start a BC/Denver/whoever takes you out next year fan club! :D

W

How could that possibly top the Gophers losing the final 3 games of the year. 2 coming on home ice, and the 3rd to a team ranked far below them.

Kinda sucks when you are the top ranked team in the country. ;)

Kinda sucks when you are the top ranked team in the country. ;)

Kinda sucks when you show your inferiority complex with your obsession with the Gopher hockey program. DaveK is exactly right. You people need help. ALL you talk about, and I mean ALL you talk about is your hatred towards Minnesota. I've never seen a more obsessed fan base in my life. Normally this type of inferiority complex is reserved for fans of SCSU or UMD, not UND. Here's a thought. Make an effort to enjoy your own team winning more than you enjoy seeing your rival losing. It might be a tough adjustment at first, but if you stick with it you might actually start to enjoy it. I know it stings a little that the Sioux aren't even worthy of being the Gophers #1 rival but you have to get over it and move on.

Kinda sucks when you show your inferiority complex with your obsession with the Gopher hockey program. DaveK is exactly right. You people need help. ALL you talk about, and I mean ALL you talk about is your hatred towards Minnesota. I've never seen a more obsessed fan base in my life. Normally this type of inferiority complex is reserved for fans of SCSU or UMD, not UND. Here's a thought. Make an effort to enjoy your own team winning more than you enjoy seeing your rival losing. It might be a tough adjustment at first, but if you stick with it you might actually start to enjoy it. I know it stings a little that the Sioux aren't even worthy of being the Gophers #1 rival but you have to get over it and move on.

We need help? Are we the ones on another team's boards telling their fans that they have an inferiority complex?

We do enjoy the Sioux winning a lot more than we enjoy watching the Gophers lose. This year, the Holy Cross game was just a little added bonus. :D

um, it was 2 v 15......

??? Thanks, even better.

As far as this being a hate fest, pfffttt!! :D We're having fun in the off season making fun of a rival. BIG FRIGGIN' DEAL. This was "one of the biggest upsets in NCAA history" after all. Go ahead and flame those of us you are still reveling in that lose but believe me it's not gonna go away because it's still FUN!!! ???

[As far as this being a hate fest, pfffttt!! :D We're having fun in the off season making fun of a rival. BIG FRIGGIN' DEAL. This was "one of the biggest upsets in NCAA history" after all. Go ahead and flame those of us you are still reveling in that lose but believe me it's not gonna go away because it's still FUN!!! ;)

I agree its a long summer we have to have something to do when we aren't sucking up all of the sun rays or playing golf.

Two examples of North Dakota's bizarre obsesion with their rivals:

1) Two words: Holy Cross. I'd expect Sioux fans to be happy to see the Gophers lose, but the level of enthusiasm over this game is beyond belief. Very SCSU and Duluth like of them.

2) North Dakota State's victory over Wisconsin in men's basketball. The petty jealousy throughout the Grand Forks city limits due to the national exposure that NDSU received from that win was very strange, to say the least. But if UND fans could just for once take off their green and white glasses and realize that not everything is about them, they'd see that people around the country didn't think twice about ND's little Div. II college up in grand Forks when talking about the NDSU/UW b-ball upset.