SiouxSports.com Forum

Irmen gone...

Siouxalum22

The UM athletic department finishes high nearly every year nationally for overall performance. The men's basketball program is currently the only major program that deserves a "failing" grade, although the women't team may soon join them if the exodus continues.

um - ok - thanks

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only reason you didn't like him because he played the same gritty game Prpich did. Except Danny did it with skill.

And Mike didn't have skill! They played the same game and I think that both of them did a good job of it. Who is the better player can't be decided as fans are slightly biased.

And Mike didn't have skill! They played the same game and I think that both of them did a good job of it. Who is the better player can't be decided as fans are slightly biased.

Who the better player is between these two has been decided for quite some time. Not even Sioux fans can try to argue that Prpich is anywhere near the player that Irmen was. Frankly, it's not even close. That's like a Gopher fan saying Andy Sertich is better than Drew Stafford.

Potulny got his first NHL assist tonight vs. Pittsburgh. It was an even strength goal.

great, hopefully danny was aloud to leave from where ever he was so he could lace up rypo's skates for him before the game :lol:

im sure there will be more points to come in the very near future

Who the better player is between these two has been decided for quite some time. Not even Sioux fans can try to argue that Prpich is anywhere near the player that Irmen was. Frankly, it's not even close. That's like a Gopher fan saying Andy Sertich is better than Drew Stafford.

Hate to agree with a Gopher fan, but that's pretty true. ;) . Mike didn't have near the skill game that Danny did. But I think Mike was a better penalty killer and got under the opponents skin better. The more skilled player had to be Irmen though. Even though I hate the guy.

Irmen leaves U, signs with Wild

Michael Russo, Star Tribune

One week after the Gophers lost stud Ryan Potulny to the Philadelphia Flyers, the university learned it lost Potulny's star linemate.

Danny Irmen, a hard-nosed forward for three seasons at Minnesota, decided to forgo his senior season to sign a two-year contract with the Wild on Wednesday.

The deal begins next season. He signed an amateur tryout with the Houston Aeros and will report there for the rest of the year, where he is eligible to partake in the playoffs.

In three years with the Gophers, Irmen scored 54 goals and 103 points in 118 games.

YAY!!!!

Congratulations to Danny Irmen, making it another level higher in hockey and being one step below his ultimate goal is great for him. I'm glad he no longer is a Goopher, now I can continue cheering for him. I cheered for him when he played for Red River my senior year at Red River and his two years at Lincoln, but I had to stop while he played for the Gophers, lol. Now that he doesn't play for the hateful Goophers, I can cheer for him again. Best of luck Irmen, boy.

I don't think he'll be given the opportunity to pull a stunt like his "jersey-pop" in the AHL or NHL, a big defenseman would smoke his a*s to the ice and knock the sh** out of him. I hope he excels in the NHL.

THATS RIGHT! i think........ ;)

I love the fact that specifics goes out of his way to insult Prpich in reference to Irman.

The fact of the matter is, Prpich's role on the Sioux was no where near the same as Irman's role on the Gophers. Irman was out there to create offense and play a good two way game as a forward. He was a leader on the ice. Ok, there's one thing they have in common.

Prpich's role was to be a gritty defensive forward. Sure, he'd take offensive opportunities whenever they came, but he didn't have that as his top priority like Irman's role. You want a player that more than likely fits Prpich's role? You'd have to look on Minnesota's third line. Maybe a Gino Guyer or a Kris Chucko (though Chucko has noticeably more offensive potential). Prpich is an INSTIGATOR and a GRINDER. A Checker and a bruiser. I don't see ANY of that in Irman's game. PERIOD.

Please. Specifics, if you are going to go out of your way to insult us on our own board, try to find a player on the Gophers that at least has a REMOTELY SIMILAR PLAYING STYLE to the Sioux player you are insulting. :lol:

I love the fact that specifics goes out of his way to insult Prpich in reference to Irman.

The fact of the matter is, Prpich's role on the Sioux was no where near the same as Irman's role on the Gophers. Irman was out there to create offense and play a good two way game as a forward. He was a leader on the ice. Ok, there's one thing they have in common.

Prpich's role was to be a gritty defensive forward. Sure, he'd take offensive opportunities whenever they came, but he didn't have that as his top priority like Irman's role. You want a player that more than likely fits Prpich's role? You'd have to look on Minnesota's third line. Maybe a Gino Guyer or a Kris Chucko (though Chucko has noticeably more offensive potential). Prpich is an INSTIGATOR and a GRINDER. A Checker and a bruiser. I don't see ANY of that in Irman's game. PERIOD.

Please. Specifics, if you are going to go out of your way to insult us on our own board, try to find a player on the Gophers that at least has a REMOTELY SIMILAR PLAYING STYLE to the Sioux player you are insulting. :lol:

His name is spelled Irmen, with an E thanks. Hate to bring it up but don't you think the jersey pop was instigating? Or maybe when he flattened Smaby in the corner? Danny enjoys the grind just as much as anyone else. Fortunatly Danny knows how to stickhandle, pass, and score too. He broke his finger blocking a shot early in the season, that's probably not something a finesse player like Kessel or Toews may make. The only reason I used Prpich in my statement because the statement was made by someone with a screen name with Prpich in it. My apologies for not comparing him to Zajac.

His name is spelled Irmen, with an E thanks. Hate to bring it up but don't you think the jersey pop was instigating? Or maybe when he flattened Smaby in the corner? Danny enjoys the grind just as much as anyone else. Fortunatly Danny knows how to stickhandle, pass, and score too. He broke his finger blocking a shot early in the season, that's probably not something a finesse player like Kessel or Toews may make. The only reason I used Prpich in my statement because the statement was made by someone with a screen name with Prpich in it. My apologies for not comparing him to Zajac.

Irmen then. That is a mistake I'll admit to. It wasn't my intention to misspell his name.

Sure, Irmen likes gritty play. He does his best to play physically and does play defensive hockey. I don't see where I said he didn't. I said his role was DIFFERENT than that of Prpich's, which is true. Irmen does stickhandle and score better than Prpich. Prpich is more of a DEFENSIVE forward! I would argue that Irmen does pass better, too. Prpich isn't bad at passing, but he's not the best by any means.

But I love the fact that you'll use anyone's handle or favorite player to try to slam the Sioux. Makes you one heck of a classy guy! But, being as though I'm a nice guy and all, let me help you. If I were to compare Irmen's playing style to a Sioux player.... the closest I can come up with is Chris Porter or perhaps Andrew Kozek. Yeah, again, Irmen is better at the offensive side of things than Porter is, but their roles are similar.

And do I call the jersey pop instigating? Maybe if you are a Sioux fan, sure. But what I call it is gloating. No different than the Kessel ear incident and the Chorney jersey pop. All three incidents weren't very classy.

I know that I will probably get flamed for saying this, but I absolutely loved the way that Irmen played. I loved the passion, speed, and skill (and even the Jersey pop). I loved it a bit more when he wasn't playing the Sioux. I however don't see him having success in the NHL, because everyone is bigger and faster, I hope I am wrong, but I wish him the best of luck.

I know that I will probably get flamed for saying this, but I absolutely loved the way that Irmen played. I loved the passion, speed, and skill (and even the Jersey pop). I loved it a bit more when he wasn't playing the Sioux. I however don't see him having success in the NHL, because everyone is bigger and faster, I hope I am wrong, but I wish him the best of luck.

I'm pretty sure this is a case of "if he's on my team he's a hard nosed player, any other team he's a goon". I would have loved Irmen if he was on the Sioux, and I think most people would have. Gopher fans HATE Jason Blake (for the most part) but they loved Westrum. Had Blake played for the Gophers, they would have loved him. It's a classic scenario.

I'm pretty sure this is a case of "if he's on my team he's a hard nosed player, any other team he's a goon". I would have loved Irmen if he was on the Sioux, and I think most people would have. Gopher fans HATE Jason Blake (for the most part) but they loved Westrum. Had Blake played for the Gophers, they would have loved him. It's a classic scenario.

I hated Blake because he could score as well. He was also far better at getting away with his deeds that either Westrum or Irmen. Or at least it seemed that way to me. :lol:

I think that you are wrong. A former Lincoln assistant coach, who coached both Danny Irmen and Ryan Potulny at Lincoln, has repeatedly said that Irmen is a better all-around player and will be a better pro than Potulny. He bases this on his toughness, defensive play, ability to play in the corners, etc. Time will tell, but I think Irmen is going to have a nice career in the NHL.

I don't think that Blake got away with that much. He was much more talk than action in terms of chippiness. I also don't remember him kicking anyone.

I don't think there is any doubt that Irmen has the potential to be a third or fourth line center. I don't see Potulny fitting that mold as well as Irmen, and I don't know if Potulny has the game to be a first or second line center in the NHL. Time will tell.

I agree with what you said accept for the jersey pop. I just don't like taunting of any kind whether it is in college hockey or any other sport or whether it is a Sioux or Gopher player. I loved the way Barry Sanders played football (which I probably shouldn't be saying since I'm a Viking fan). He played with heart and passion but when he got to the endzone, he always acted like he'd been there before and planned on being there again. I remember seeing a poster of him that had a list of all the accomplishments he had during his career it read something like this:

15,269 yards rushing

99 TD's

5.0 yards per carry

76 total 100-yard rushing games

Tied for NFL record for total 1,000-yard rushing seasons

1989 The Sporting News NFL Rookie of the Year

Nine-time Pro Bowl participant

All-time NFL record for consecutive 1,000-yard seasons

Zero Endzone celebrations

I would think even Sioux fans could appreciate the jersey pop. Irmen's from ND, he's sitting in the penalty box getting spit on and yelled at for two minutes straight. About 5 seconds after getting out of the box he scores a breakaway goal and wanted to give the students some crap right back. The looks on the students faces were priceless. And he wasn't doing it to the entire arena, just those students who were all over him. He was simply standing up for himself, and for Golden Gopher pride. It was really much more innocent than Sioux fans think.

I would think even Sioux fans could appreciate the jersey pop. Irmen's from ND, he's sitting in the penalty box getting spit on and yelled at for two minutes straight. About 5 seconds after getting out of the box he scores a breakaway goal and wanted to give the students some crap right back. The looks on the students faces were priceless. And he wasn't doing it to the entire arena, just those students who were all over him. He was simply standing up for himself, and for Golden Gopher pride. It was really much more innocent than Sioux fans think.

um - ok - thanks

We have been over this spitting thing before. I don't think the security would let people spit on other players. It didn't happen to punkobitch I highly doubt it would happen one half of the ambigous duo :lol: You can stick you Pee yellow and crap brown pride over to GPL not here. It would be like me defending Lammys actions over there.