SiouxSports.com Forum

INCH Rookie of the Year

stickboy1956

Good for phil, I'm sure he's sitting at home stroking it right now (his ROTY awards I mean). The Fighting Sioux are going to Milwaukee to play for a National Championship. Beside that, I have said it over and over, the REAL hockey fans know the truth.

Good for phil, I'm sure he's sitting at home stroking it right now (his ROTY awards I mean). The Fighting Sioux are going to Milwaukee to play for a National Championship. Beside that, I have said it over and over, the REAL hockey fans know the truth.

Like we said last spring, they can have "Phil the Thrill"!!!!!

Hey Phil, pass the puck!! Ha Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oshie was also very worthy of the award but you act like Kessel doesn't deserve these honors that he keeps winning(WCHA and INCH ROY). They're both great players so instead of your sour grapes type attitude, how about congratulating Kessel on a well deserved honor.

Oshie was also very worthy of the award but you act like Kessel doesn't deserve these honors that he keeps winning(WCHA and INCH ROY). They're both great players so instead of your sour grapes type attitude, how about congratulating Kessel on a well deserved honor.

And one could argue that Oshie has been more pivotal when it mattered the most. Kessel has done alright and I'm not upset that he won this award. It's pretty much a no-brainer. If USCHO gives out a rookie of the year award, I'd expect that to be Kessel. And the same if the NCAA overall gives one out.

RIght now, though, the post season rookie of the year award (conference tourney and regional so far) is going to be a tight race between Toews and Oshie. With no one from Minnesota even getting an honorable mention. Why do I mention this? Give Kessel all of the awards and then give Oshie a National Championship. Then ask each player which one they'd like the most. I doubt even Kessel would be egotistical enough to say that he wouldn't trade all his awards for a National Championship.

EDIT: Of course, if we don't win the National Championship, I'd still be just as happy for Kessel and Oshie.

How about no, as far as congratulating philly. Secondly, for the 1000th time phil did NOT, I REPEAT, DID NOT, deserve anything. He completely dissapeared against any competition, and his only bright spot last weekend was that gift he got when he stepped out of the penalty box.

Kessel will not get my congratulations for this award (I'm sure that hurts his feelings!). In my opinion, the powers that be had already decided he would get this award when he held his press conference and announced that he'd be going to Minnesota.

Unfortunately, those same powers that be overlooked a more deserving hockey player - TJ Oshie.

Kessel is deserving. Playing an entire year against D1 opponents before becoming a freshmen at the UofM really helped him adjust to the WCHA. Had he played against Class A high school opponents, I suspect it wouldn't have been as special for him but he probably would have scored more goals.

And one could argue that Oshie has been more pivotal when it mattered the most. Kessel has done alright and I'm not upset that he won this award. It's pretty much a no-brainer. If USCHO gives out a rookie of the year award, I'd expect that to be Kessel. And the same if the NCAA overall gives one out.

RIght now, though, the post season rookie of the year award (conference tourney and regional so far) is going to be a tight race between Toews and Oshie. With no one from Minnesota even getting an honorable mention. Why do I mention this? Give Kessel all of the awards and then give Oshie a National Championship. Then ask each player which one they'd like the most. I doubt even Kessel would be egotistical enough to say that he wouldn't trade all his awards for a National Championship.EDIT: Of course, if we don't win the National Championship, I'd still be just as happy for Kessel and Oshie.

Why do you say it like that. Kessel has a very small ego. He is actually very humble and quite shy. He just wants to blend in with the rest of the team. Last year when the U.S. junior team came to Mariucci there were signs and chants for Kessel to choose the "U." He later said that he was embarrassed by all that. That's why I just laugh when I hear other fans call him a cocky pre madonna when in reality the opposite is true. Ask anyone in the Gopher program and they'll tell you the same thing.

I'm sure some people will come back with posts about the press conference, but that was by USA hockey and Phil did not want to do it. But when you're the most successful player to ever play in the program they felt the exposure was good for USA hockey. That's why the press conference happened, not because of Phil.

Oshie was very worthy of the award but I don't think he's too worried about it since he has achance at a much bigger prize.

Secondly, for the 1000th time phil did NOT, I REPEAT, DID NOT, deserve anything.

I never really thought you were stupid enough to actually believe what you just wrote. I just assumed it was your blatant bias but now I see I was wrong. You really are that stupid Triouxper. I guess everybody else in the world who think so highly of him are wrong and you, the only person who can't admit he's good, is right.

No one can think they know anything about hockey if they can't even acknowledge Kessel as a good player.

It's obvious where this thread is heading and I think we've been through all this before so I'll quit now. You're welcome in advance.

Why do you say it like that. Kessel has a very small ego. He is actually very humble and quite shy. He just wants to blend in with the rest of the team. Last year when the U.S. junior team came to Mariucci there were signs and chants for Kessel to choose the "U." He later said that he was embarrassed by all that. That's why I just laugh when I hear other fans call him a cocky pre madonna when in reality the opposite is true. Ask anyone in the Gopher program and they'll tell you the same thing.

I'm sure some people will come back with posts about the press conference, but that was by USA hockey and Phil did not want to do it. But when you're the most successful player to ever play in the program they felt the exposure was good for USA hockey. That's why the press conference happened, not because of Phil.

Oshie was very worthy of the award but I don't think he's too worried about it since he has achance at a much bigger prize.

Phil's a big boy now, and I think it's safe to say that he controls his own actions. If he hasn't learned that by now, hopefully they're trying to teach him that in Minneapolis. Yes, USA hockey may have wanted it, but Phil could have easily said "You know what, I'm just not comfortable with this and don't want it to be a big production".

I never really thought you were stupid enough to actually believe what you just wrote. I just assumed it was your blatant bias but now I see I was wrong. You really are that stupid Triouxper. I guess everybody else in the world who think so highly of him are wrong and you, the only person who can't admit he's good, is right.

No one can think they know anything about hockey if they can't even acknowledge Kessel as a good player.

It's obvious where this thread is heading and I think we've been through all this before so I'll quit now. You're welcome in advance.

Everyone at the Final Five saw it, everyone at the West Regional saw it, heck one of your very own FSN broadcasters said it himself, Oshie is the best NHL prospect across the landscape of the NCAA. For some reason you just cannot accept the fact that phil is not the player that the media, USA hockey, and goopher fans try to make him. By the way thanks for calling me stupid, I like it, it just proves that you will stoop to the same level as someone like, well, me :love:

well why are you here too - do all of you boys feel that this is a forum that care about what you think?

Well, I'll give Phil his due when he "earns" it. He came in over-hyped and has not lived up to it, plain and simple. He's lazy, floats around looking for offense at the total expense of his own end. Has no idea what a two way hockey player is, thinks they are extinct.

Oshie comes in under the radar and has done things Phil has not. Examples: goals and game winning goals, statistically. Also, great two way player who has prevented more goals than he has scored. Loves to deliver big, clean hits. Jumps right back up and plays when he's on the receiving end. Here's something else Oshie is that Phil doesn't know the meaning of: unselfish.

But, because Phil had the pre-season hype, Phil wins the awards. Fine, but he doesn't deserve them.

I think I am being very unbiased. Case in point: When Vanek and Parise were Freshman, I thought Vanek had a better overall year, and that Zach's production dropped off considerably after he got back from World Juniors. He hit a "wall" or teams adjusted. Wahtever, he slipped. Vanek won ROY and I was in total agreement with that award.

This one is a crock. But, I suspect Oshie to be the kind of kid who could care less as long as he's still playing hockey, which he is. So, T.J. just keep playing and proving them wrong!

17 goals...33 assists.

He must have passed it a time or 2 ............

Even people I know who are Gopher fans admit that Kessel doesn't pass. The reason he has 33 assists is because he would shoot it, the goalie would cough up the rebound, and Potulney or Irmen would slam home the rebound.

Even people I know who are Gopher fans admit that Kessel doesn't pass. The reason he has 33 assists is because he would shoot it, the goalie would cough up the rebound, and Potulney or Irmen would slam home the rebound.

I'm glad someone mentioned this. You people have an excuse for anything good he that he does. Did it ever occur to you that people score off his rebounds because he's such a great shooter that the goalies have trouble controlling the rebound? He has an absolute rocket for a shot and he's accurate. When you rifle a shot low at the goalies leg pads or fire one stick side, there will be a rebound. He rarely shoots it into the goalies stomach. This form of an assist is just as effective as a great pass, which he also displayed throughout the season.

Sioux fans brag about their knowledge of hockey non-stop and then do nothing but bash a supreme talent like Kessel. It just makes you guys look stupid quite frankly. Do you people really believe that everyone else in the world who follow hockey are wrong about this kid and Sioux fans are right? You guys are hilarious. How many more ROY awards does he have to win before you can admit he's a good player?

I've always thought of Sioux fans as being pretty knowledgable, but after hearing your opinions on a player like Kessel it's obvious you guys really are the straw munching, cousin kissing, trailor park hicks that the rest of the college hockey world view you as.

That or he'd hotdog the puck up ice by himself, dish it back to Harrington who'd take the shot and then RP would bury it.

---

I don't think he is as self centered as many claim. I've seen him hanging around the rink twice now. Once at a MSHSL region final and the other time was Sunday after the Holy Cross game watching the womens game. Neither time did he seek any attention, but he was very polite and courteous to kids who'd go up and talk to him. I really hope he chooses to return to school next year. Not only for the Gophers, but for the US in the WJC. The kid is not evil nor does he have evil intentions.

That or he'd hotdog the puck up ice by himself, dish it back to Harrington who'd take the shot and then RP would bury it.

---

I don't think he is as self centered as many claim. I've seen him hanging around the rink twice now. Once at a MSHSL region final and the other time was Sunday after the Holy Cross game watching the womens game. Neither time did he seek any attention, but he was very polite and courteous to kids who'd go up and talk to him. I really hope he chooses to return to school next year. Not only for the Gophers, but for the US in the WJC. The kid is not evil nor does he have evil intentions.

Sagard, thanks for being a Voice of Reason in the midst of all the flaming.

I'm glad someone mentioned this. You people have an excuse for anything good he that he does. Did it ever occur to you that people score off his rebounds because he's such a great shooter that the goalies have trouble controlling the rebound? He has an absolute rocket for a shot and he's accurate. When you rifle a shot low at the goalies leg pads or fire one stick side, there will be a rebound. He rarely shoots it into the goalies stomach. This form of an assist is just as effective as a great pass, which he also displayed throughout the season.

Sioux fans brag about their knowledge of hockey non-stop and then do nothing but bash a supreme talent like Kessel. It just makes you guys look stupid quite frankly. Do you people really believe that everyone else in the world who follow hockey are wrong about this kid and Sioux fans are right? You guys are hilarious. How many more ROY awards does he have to win before you can admit he's a good player?

I've always thought of Sioux fans as being pretty knowledgable, but after hearing your opinions on a player like Kessel it's obvious you guys really are the straw munching, cousin kissing, trailor park hicks that the rest of the college hockey world view you as.

i could give 2 shi%s about who wins these awards..my telling tale is oshie has his team in milwaukee and phil is at blarneys throwing back some brewskies with pudgie boy frazee (note to FRAZEE, i would stick with the michelob ultras, they have low carbs) :love: . thats all that matters and the only other thing that matters is that BUCKYSIEVE is about the bigegst tool we have on this board...take some notes from sagard..your such a d-bag