SiouxSports.com Forum

SSM should play Red River and/or Central!!!

Fighting Sioux Fan

Because of all the guys that are going to UND, SSM should come up and play Red River and Central! ANybody else think that this would be cool? I know that they have played Crookston, they should come to GF!

SSM does play crookston, but i dont think they play the high school team.

Fighting Sioux Fan--Well intended idea, but not very realistic. Shattuck is an elite AAA high school team that plays about 60 games per year. They play and even beat some of the USHL teams and some of the smaller college teams. Shattuck would probably not have much trouble with high school all star teams from North Dakota or even Minnesota. As good as Red River and Central are in many years, they would not be able to compete. That is why many Shattuck kids get college scholarships right out of high school and do not have to go the usual route of juniors like the USHL.

SSM does play a couple of teams from the Mn State High School League (Benilde-St. Margaret's and Holy Angels).

Yep. Seeing at least one of the SSM games this weekend to check out Stafford and Smaby. And just maybe see if Crosby is a "flash in the pan". :0

Diggler---Which Shattuck team are the 85 Dakota Selects playing? I believe that Shattuck has 4 different levels. In the past few years, the Dakota Select teams have not fared very well against the Canadian AAA teams like Notre Dame out of Saskatchewan. Even the group that included Irmen and Potulny lost 6-0 to Notre Dame a couple of years ago in Minot. The other teams (86, 87 and 88) did even worse against Notre Dame and the top Minnesota Select teams.

Diggler---Which Shattuck team are the 85 Dakota Selects playing? I believe that Shattuck has 4 different levels. In the past few years, the Dakota Select teams have not fared very well against the Canadian AAA teams like Notre Dame out of Saskatchewan. Even the group that included Irmen and Potulny lost 6-0 to Notre Dame a couple of years ago in Minot.  The other teams (86, 87 and 88) did even worse against Notre Dame and the top Minnesota Select teams.

speaking of SSM....... i caught the Sioux "farm-team" at Parade tonight vs. Benilde. the Crosby kid is definately for real! very Parise-like. Smaby is big and physical. Stafford also has good size for a forward (6-2, 200lbs) with good skills around the net. overall, i was very impressed with the whole team. fun to watch!!!!!!

I agree that Crosby is the "real deal". Great hands, good vision and pretty strong on his skates for a 15 yo. Great, quick shot. 2G/2A. Stafford did pretty well and was usually in the mix. Really nice stickhandling. Seemed to pick it up in the third. 1G/1A.

Smaby was great. Very physical. He can handle the puck and move well for a big guy. I loved it in the third when he was having trouble handling the puck in the Benilde zone and got it taken away from him. The Benilde player, a small forward, heads right at the SSM goalie for a one-on-one. Smaby catches up to the guy, disprupts the play and then manages to clock somebody else behind the net. :0 Final score SSM 7/BSM 2.