SiouxSports.com Forum

Toews snub

Walsh Hall

i guess we will have to wait and see...even though you could be right on i would probably wait to see the team before you call it a snub

toews

37 total games 18/11,29pts

28 wcha games 14/8, 22pts...

raymond

39 total games 11/17 28pts

28 wcha games 8/15 23pts

i guess we will have to wait and see...even though you could be right on i would probably wait to see the team before you call it a snub

toews

all games 18/11,29pts

wcha games 14/8, 22pts

raymond

all games 11/17 28pts

wcha games 8/15 23pts

You stat doesn't capture that Raymond has played more games; however, even though I am a big Toews fan, I am not surprised because Raymond has been the Dogz most Oshie-like player this season. I have to admit I was impressed with his all-round play and tenacity. This selection might in fact be a good indicator that the WCHA has been looking at the complete picture and that they will do the right thing and give Oshie the ROY. :lol: What you have done for your team in a given season has to be a factor.

On the UMD website they report the Raymond was named to the all-rookie team. I'd have to assume that if that is true that Toews would be left off. Disappointing.

http://www.umdbulldogs.com/mens/hockey/ind...1&story_id=2450

Do you know anything about Mason Raymond? Because he definitely deserves that honor.

Do you know anything about Mason Raymond? Because he definitely deserves that honor.

I know very little about him and wasn't implying that he isn't deserving. As a Sioux fan I was obviously pulling for Toews. Kessel-Oshie debate, both of them I have seen plenty...

Funny that the UMD site says "has been named" yet there is no info anywhere (including on the WCHA site) on the teams that are to be named today.

Maybe the F's are Raymond, Oshie, and Toews and Kessel has been snubbed (*ducks and runs for cover*) :lol:

Funny that the UMD site says "has been named" yet there is no info anywhere (including on the WCHA site) on the teams that are to be named today.

Maybe the F's are Raymond, Oshie, and Toews and Kessel has been snubbed (*ducks and runs for cover*) :)

You ARE a brave man, Sprig! :lol:

I have seen Raymond 4 times against UND and twice against UM. He's a good player, but in my opinion, is not close to Jon Toews. His numbers on the score sheet may not show it, but I believe Toews is the most consistent and most talented freshman on the Sioux. He is excellent defensively, great away from the puck, strong on faceoffs, strong in the corners, and very smart. I would not trade him for any freshman in the WCHA. He is very underrated.

I have seen Raymond 4 times against UND and twice against UM. He's a good player, but in my opinion, is not close to Jon Toews. His numbers on the score sheet may not show it, but I believe Toews is the most consistent and most talented freshman on the Sioux. He is excellent defensively, great away from the puck, strong on faceoffs, strong in the corners, and very smart. I would not trade him for any freshman in the WCHA. He is very underrated.

I wouldn't trade Toews for any other NCAA freshman either and I agree with your assessment. Which is why I am left wondering if the WCHA actually considered what Raymond meant to his team. It is why I concluded that they will also have to give Oshie the nod for overall ROY.

I wouldn't trade Toews for any other NCAA freshman either and I agree with your assessment. Which is why I am left wondering if the WCHA actually considered what Raymond meant to his team. It is why I concluded that they will also have to give Oshie the nod for overall ROY.

I think the 'intangibles' may have tipped it in his favor.

However, I'm confused, because this still isn't on the WCHA site. I don't know where Larry got his info, but he would never intentionally mislead me...

BTW anyone who watched the Sunday night 'Dogs game, did you see the AMAZING hit Raymond put on a DU player? He is 6-0, 170 and he knocked the guy on his a$$ and walked away. Wait til he gets some meat on his bones. He will be WCHA 1st team for sure in the future.

what a shame, my wcha all rookie team would have looked like this :lol:

1ST TEAM

oshie

toews

duncan

lee

chorney

walski (hell of a practice goalie)

2ND TEAM

kozek

watkins

miller

jones

finley

no goalie

honorable mention team :)

kessel

skille

raymond

bostrom

niskanen

frazee

BTW anyone who watched the Sunday night 'Dogs game, did you see the AMAZING hit Raymond put on a DU player? He is 6-0, 170 and he knocked the guy on his a$$ and walked away. Wait til he gets some meat on his bones. He will be WCHA 1st team for sure in the future.

Toews has 29 points in 37 games as a 17 year old. Raymond has 28 points in 39 games as a 20 year old.

only count league games, since it's a league award. raymond is up one point on toews in league games. and raymond plays for a team that blows... so on a good team, he'd be better.

i'd love for toews to have it, but raymond is also deserving.

I think the 'intangibles' may have tipped it in his favor.

However, I'm confused, because this still isn't on the WCHA site. I don't know where Larry got his info, but he would never intentionally mislead me...

If he doesn't have much weight on his bones yet he may struggle considering he is already 20. There is a big difference from being 6-0, 170 at age 20 than 6-0, 170 at 18. That is why many players play juniors for instance Jake Marto to put meat on his bones and it seems as if Raymond may not be able to considering he played a few years of juniors and wasn't able to. Maybe UMD weight program will be better though.

only count league games, since it's a league award. raymond is up one point on toews in league games. and raymond plays for a team that blows... so on a good team, he'd be better.

i'd love for toews to have it, but raymond is also deserving.

OK

Towes has 14g, 8a for 22 points in league games as a 17 year old.

Raymond has 8g, 15a for 23 points in league games as a 20 year old.

Instead of running down Mason Raymond, who is a terrific player and deserving of such an honor, couldn't you guys be congratulating Brian Lee and TJ Oshie?

doesn't seem possible. I'm just be glad Mason is the target in this thread instead of the usual Kessel bash

Why are so many Sioux fans so damn bitter everytime a UND player doesn't make a team or get an award? The WCHA hates UND!!! TJ Oshie should've been ROTY! Kessel is a hot dogging sack on monkey crap. Jonathon Toews got screwed! Mason Raymound shoots heroin, eats children and is a communist!

Good Lord, people act like no one besides UND has any good players and no one deserves any recognition if they don't play in Grand Forks. If that's true, why the hell did UND barely get home ice? They should've had it wrapped up by Christmas.

Instead of running down Mason Raymond, who is a terrific player and deserving of such an honor, couldn't you guys be congratulating Brian Lee and TJ Oshie?

I'm not knocking Raymond at all, he is (will be) a great player. But, I think what Towes did as a 17 year old is more impressive than what Raymond did as a 20 year old.

You are so right.

Unfortunately, some of our fan base are so infatuated with hatred for other teams players that we choose not to find the good in anyone not on our team. I applaud those Sioux fans who are not in this category - more than it seems because not everyone posts.

We use stats to prop up our guys but dismiss stats that prop up opposing players. If stats don't look good for our guy we say stats are meaningless (see Toews / Kessel arguments). We're selective in what we think are important stats (see game winning goals).

Watch me get ripped by the usual crowd for not knowing anything about hockey or that I'm really not a Sioux fan.

Mason Raymond is a deserving player - he's gonna be great - Duluth is lucky to have him.

BTW - I think the Dogs are gonna be tough next year. It's just too bad it's so far away.